But there were no Humans four million years ago.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Transformers are regularly blamed for bringing their war to Earth and endangering humans.

But everyone seems to forget that when they came to Earth four million years ago there were no Humans. Even if Optimus Prime had a chance to scan the planet for intelligent life before they crashed, they would have found none.

Has anyone else pondered on this? Just once I want an Autobot to bring this point up in the fiction just to see how the humans would respond.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    But they were all inactive until the mid-80s, by which point humans were all over the place. I don't think "Hey, we didn't endanger you during the four million years we were asleep!" is a very strong argument.

3. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    So, what are you implying? That by battling one another millions of years ago, crashing onto this world where we did not exist, being in stasis all that time, then waking up during our occupation of the planet gives us reason enough to blame them for bringing their war on us? That's the key to remember. They willingly didn't bring their war to our world, they through no intent ended up continuing their war on this world. It's not like they were going to all wake up and agree to take off so nothing would be hurt in our civilization. The Decepticons want power & energy, the Autobots feel obligated to stop them.

4. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not sure I know what you're saying. Are you trying to say that the planet is actually the transformers since they were here first?

I don't think there's any doubt the transformers have definitely endangered the humans by their presence/war.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

It would be an interesting aspect to throw into a new series. I've read fanfics that throw up other elements of how humanity would react to the Transformers: religous fanatics decrying them as agents of Satan, others setting up camp outside Autobot HQ and almost worshipping them, etc. Probably aspects that are more likely to be explored in the comics than in a new cartoon.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I guess it depends on what they considered "intelligent" life. Modern humans may not have been around 4 million years ago, but that was about the time Australopithecus showed up. And while not civilized, they were likely still "intelligent." But yeah, I see your point, in the G1 universe the Transformers could make a fairly reasonable "we were here first" argument.

Honestly, that massive, multi-million-year timeframe has always really bugged me about the TF franchise (at least the G1 side of it). It's just unnecessary from a story standpoint to have them arrive that long ago, and it necessitates all sorts of suspension of disbelief (for instance, accepting that Shockwave was just hanging out on Cybertron twiddling his thumbs.... er, thumb..... for millions of years). And it's not like the crashed Transformers influenced human history or anything.... they were asleep the whole time!

I'm glad that recent series have moved away from that, with the Autobots crashing on Earth during modern times. It just makes for a more streamlined and logical story.

Plus, I dunno.... I don't mind Cybertronians living for longer than humans, but having them live for literally MILLIONS of years seems excessive. Maybe hundreds, or even thousands of years. But millions? That's just me, though.

7. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

who sais there where no humans?

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Autobots = Automobile Robots (they were all cars in 1984 toyline)

I CANNOT BELIEVE I FIGURED THAT OUT AT 1:45AM IN THE MORNING.

If Budiansky says anything other than that, he's lying to you, it had nothing to do with "Autonomous Robots" bullshit, they were all cars! CARS!

9. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    :deadhorse: 

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'd always assumed that "automobile robots" was the root of "Autobots." On the other hand, it was only a couple of years ago that I figured out why Kanga and Roo in the Winnie The Pooh stories were so named.:eek: 

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bob Hope and George Burns would disagree- they were both here 4 million years ago and saw it all happen.
    even met Jetfire's pappy, Wheel Prime. lol

12. Covenant

Ebay:
    Seriously?

If hundreds and thousands is fine, what's wrong with millions? I don't quite understand how to take issue with a sentient robotic species of life living for millions of years - provided they don't die in battle or some such, especially when so many origins date back toward/at/prior to the creation of the universe itself. The 'age of gods' aspect makes it more attractive, even if the bunch we're used to as familiar faces have only been around for a fraction of the cosmos' own age, allowing lineage/generations/etc.

And Shockwave was hardly dickin' around. If anything, the episode in which the fembots appear show he's been either holding the fort & keeping Autobots at bay, or he's been making headway in the eternal struggle.

As Optimus has been known to say, "It never ends". That's a statement with a depth beyond consideration for a life that's been around for ages. And heck, a common fly lives naturally for a couple of months. What would their little buggy minds think about us living anywhere from sixty to over one hundred years?

[EDIT]

AWESOME username, btw.

13. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

Kinda makes me want to see a Transformers one-off comic set in Clark Ashton Smiths Hyperborea.. Fighting Iceworms and fighting off Tsathoggua worshiping Voormis...

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Science.

Humans have only been around for about 0.2 million years.

15. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Having them live for millions of years seems fine to me.

The only reason most life on Earth lives such a short amount of time is that the wrong form of compromise came about in making cells cooperative in multi-cellular organisms. If a better form of compromise had been used, then death by old age wouldn't be a concern for humans (anyone who doesn't think that's possible should probably look up information on human immortal cell lines).

Heck, having TFs that even grow old at all (regardless of how much time has past) is just a conceit to a humano-centric viewpoint of how life should exist.

Given sufficient resources and the proper mechanisms, there's no reason that a TF shouldn't be immortal (at least as far as the concern of aging).

Of course, that is also, just me.

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    SUPER seriously.

17. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

I'll buy that how we represent an aged TF is humano-centric (ie: wrinkles, craggy voice, etc), but being the machines they are with moving parts and what not, eventually they have to wear out to the point that they can no longer function. It's less about representing TFs to being like us and more about physical laws. Everything has to wear out and change into something else eventually.

18. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

screw science! what if humans came before that and they miscalcumalated (I meant to spell that wrong) besides TFs are as far as we know not real (by God I hope they are) and it was fictiminal. (I hope not) ()

19. Covenant

Ebay:
    :sly2: 

20. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I hate to say it, and it scares me, but I see his point....

Since this is all about "in fiction" logic anyway, it COULD be that "in fiction" the human species evolved sooner than it did in our-real-world.

Not that I see that idea adding much to the story one way or another, and there's no reason to assume that conceit (Except MAYBE the BW timeline or summin'), but it is a logically valid argument....

D/L