Busted Laptop Screen :(

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mr. Sparklebot, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Long story short: I fell the other day, and my laptop screen took a good chunk of damage. It still works (I'm typing on it right now), and everything else seems alright, so luckily no need to buy a new laptop. Do you guys know a good place to find a replacement screen, and is it easy to repair by yourself?

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    How old is the laptop?

If over 3 yo it would be easier if not cheaper to buy a new one.

Minimum price for repairs would be around 2-300

Do not try to fix it yourself or you will break it completely.

3. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    depends on what kind of laptop, you can either try ebay or ifixit (google them)

4. Mr. Sparklebot

News Credits:
    I got it maybe 2 years ago. I've seen a couple of "how-tos" so far, but seeing as I have no experience with this sort of stuff, I'm hesitant to install it myself. I'm pretty sure that getting it repaired would be cheaper than getting a new one, but it guess it depends whether I send it in to an online repair place or a local shop. Plus, I'm going to have to buy the new screen myself.

5. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    is it a main line brand like Dell/Mac? or an off brand? I've replaced several in Dell Latitudes, and if you're technically inclined at all, it's not TERRIBLE, but it can be daunting, especially the first time. Best recommendation is to look for a junked one (laptop of your exact same model) on ebay or Craigslist, that's being sold as spare parts, and just confirm the LCD works. Or have it done professionally. But getting parts new... yeah, you're better off buying a new one than that.

6. Mr. Sparklebot

News Credits:
    Well, I found a video that shows the replacement process for my laptop... it doesn't look too hard, mostly screw removal. I found some screens for maybe $300 + shipping, and it will be a hell lot cheaper than $700 for repairs from Best Buy. Maybe I'll try it out... if not, I know what I want for Christmas :p 

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    What brand of laptop is it?

Most laptops are a complete pain in the ass to take apart and if you dont have the right tools the case might get damaged.

If you attempt it yourself make sure you are grounded.All it takes is one shock and the motherboard might get damaged.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Red's right. I opened up mine just to blow the dog and cat hair out of the fan and by sheer dumb luck got it back together without screwing anything up. I have three extra screws left over too.

9. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    You could always buy the one in my sales thread;) 
    Sorry I couldn't resist.....

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i too have a busted screen (if you press/hold a certain part, it'll work again) and was informed it would be better just to buy a new one...i now just hook up my old CRT monitor to it...still usable but no longer portable (unless there's a monitor i can use where i go)

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Conceptually, it's not a difficult process to replace the screen. However, whether or not it's worth it depend on:

1. your laptop's ease of dissassembly
    2. the cost of a new screen ($300 sounds awfully high)
    3. confidence in your proficiency to repair the laptop

Chances are, if you need to have it replaced professionally, it might just be worth it to buy a new laptop.

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

yeah, my kid sterpped on my la[top screen the other day and i found it was only like $50 more to sell it and get a new laptop than it was to buy a new screen. i ended up with a better laptop in the end and i didn't have to bother taking the stupid thing apart... so i think i made the right choice. if everything but the screen is fine you can usually sell it for a decent amount and cut the costs on your new one down significantly.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've taken my laptops apart numerous times. I guess it all depends on your mechanical ability, because I've never BUILT a computer, nor have I ever taken computer classes, but it's always been easy as cake for me. I've replaced everything but ram at one time or another. you don't by any chance need a 17"widescreen display do you?