business week article on tomy situation

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, Sep 6, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/sep2007/gb2007095_956342.htm

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Is it just me or is this entire article slanted to make it appear as though Takaratomy does everything for Transformers while Hasbro does absolutely nothing, except sell them overseas?

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Never seen this figure before. Neat!

:D :D 

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Licca-chan doesn't look like Barbie :mad 

Very interesting read after I got over the fact that TakTom's English name is simply Tomy. Sad.
    Also the author is obviously able to tell a shellformer; "contains a robot inside" :lol 

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    wow. i just noticed that.

:( 

ITS LIKE WHEN HASBRO BOUGHT OUT KENNER :(  :(  :( 

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Didn't Kenner's name still appear on Beast Wars and (shudders) Animorph Transformers? Anyway, I hope TakTom never has trouble with lead paint. I also didn't know that Transformers related sales are only 10% for TakTom. That does seem low.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Funny how a novelty has lasted for twenty years. The article made it appear that Transformers was a near death product until the movie resurrected it.I don't know how accurate the statistics were, but the historical facts seemed really fudged to fit the author's agenda.

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True, but I'm pretty sure that "transformer-dom" never got the same widespread marketing that it has now for the movie, since probably 1987 or so.

And considering that transformers is only one IP, and takara/tomy make a lot of products, 10% is quite a bit.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know how much of an "agenda" there really is, other than some ignorance combined with the desire for simplicity/brevity. Instead of cataloging the ups and downs of the brand, the writer simply said the toys 'eventually' found their way to a low sales point shortly before the movie, which is true enough for an article about Tomy's business. Hasbro does a TON for Transformers, but the article is about Tomy and the Japanese market mostly, so saying a lot about Hasbro would be mostly beside the point.

A level of ignorance, or at least lack of detail, is to be expected in non-fannish articles. I keep thinking of all the magazine articles connected to the movie, which pretty much imply that Transformers didn't exist in any form between 1986 and 2007.

10. smkspy

I'm not talking about a conspiracy here, but the author has a definite goal or point to be made with his article. Agenda may be a strong word, but it is apt.

He states movie, but I actually think the author means the 2007 movie, and not 1986 movie. Transformers continued for much longer in Japan than here so clearly they must have been somewhat more popular considering Hasbro deemed no value in simply dubbing their 3 shows, and releasing quite a few Japanese toys.

I think the author has an agenda of stating Tomy's hard times that its experiencing right because of the Chinese problem (the main reason for the article in the first place), but wants to make it seem like Tomy has always had a major problem since 1986. Its quite obvious the author fails to mention several important thing in keeping the article in line with his goal/agenda (though what article writer doesn't).

It is definitely a level of ignorance, which is typical of today's media, and not just fannish articles. Its one thing for articles about TFs in magazines like Maxim or Entertainment weekly to skip over facts to make their articles work, but a supposedly serious buisness magazine should present the entire story.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Let's just pray the Mattel Scandal won't affect Hasbro.

12. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Can't really argue there. True enough a lot of writers jaywalk past the proper path of facts to make the point they're shooting for. Of all the news stories about the toy recalls, I notice I'm always made well aware that the recalled/dangerous products come from CHINESE factories/contractors, with an unspoken implication of "everything went to hell since we started making stuff there", conveniently omitting that the wide majority of consumer goods of all kinds have been made in China for years and years now, with relatively little incident.

13. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ya know, 10% of 300 million toys is 30 million. That's pretty good for a toyline in any country and not just Japan.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hes a bandai stooge!

how cool would it be if bandai/tomy employed ninjas for sabotage to break in into china factories and replace regular paints with lead ones. then youd have the chinese factories employ shaolin monks for protection who would subsequently get pwned by ninjas and then some nerd post something on the net abt it.

15. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Sounds like the makings of a really poor (or insanely great) concept for an anime series.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know if it's just you, but I don't see it.

The article's about the repercussions of outsourcing affecting a Japanese company as well as domestic corporations. There's no focus one way or the other on Hasbro's role in the Transformers partnership, so I don't really expect the author to research or clarify the nuances of that partnership, especially not to the extent that it would satisfy a fan's desire for attention to detail.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Transformers has generally been a partnership between Hasbro and Takara, collaborating to various degrees over the years, but the article makes it out as though 'Tomy makes the toys, Hasbro just sells them overseas' which is certainly not accurate.

18. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Gotta love Journalists that do their research :rolleyes2 

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Bear in mind also the writers are based in Tokyo and would have interviewed Tomy executives for this story. They were told Tomy's side of how they operate. Since when have you seen corporate executives give credit to others that they could take for themselves?

They could have co-written this article with someone stateside to explore more fully Hasbro's role, I suppose. But it's a story about Tomy the company, not Transformers the product. Let's not be COMPLETE fanboys about this piece of business journalism.

20. smkspy

Um, that would be kewl I guess...it'd certainly give us nerds some more interesting to talk about than a simple business article.

Well, its still a poorly written much less researched article about Transformers made by Tomy.