Minor/Repaint: Burnout V4

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Rexidus, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advice guys. :) 

And yeah, I instantly realized as I was doing this that this mold would also make a fantastic Hot Rod/Rodimus (I prefer that name even if he isn't a Prime :p  ). So I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

2. shapercreator14

shapercreator14 Vae Victus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    huh funny i just updated my digibash thread over in the fanart section with my rodimus digibash of this guy.

3. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's absolutely awesome! I love the colors (remind me of Iron Man), especially on that mold, and the head looks good too. Your city setup is great as well.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Not bad. I'm almost getting a Dino vibe from him...if he were incorporated into the Prime universe.

5. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That city scene is pretty damn cool!

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    That looks pretty cool! Although if you had some kind of lightbox setup that didn't direct light straight onto the figure, that might make for better pics. The light is making the gloss shine a bit too much, IMO, so it's hard to appreciate the figure in full.

Also, I have to agree on the paint looking a bit too thick. You said you "dry brush", but what does this mean exactly? I apologize, but to my understanding; dry brushing is actually a weathering technique and not meant to paint an object in full. Maybe if you went into detail as to how you painted the figure, from how you set up the paint mixes to application, we might be able to give you more in-depth advice.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm glad people are liking this as much as I am. :)  I knew people would love the city scape as well so I made sure to use one again; especially since the number of buildings I have have made doubled since V3.

I appreciate the advice, but I don't have a light box and am not really that into photography to want to make one.

But yeah, I'd be happy to go into detail of what I did.

I started off by washing the figure in warm soapy water. I should have started off submerging him in rubbing alcohol to remove pre-existing paint before washing him. Honestly I didn't remember (hehe) but I think there isn't really a lot of paint to remove anyway. Plus I liked the tail lights and don't actually have a yellow paint at the moment to replace it.

Anyway, after his bath I let him dry for about an hour.

I took him apart as much as I could, which amounted to removing his legs. As mentioned he is almost entirely pin joints which are beyond my ability to remove. I probably could have removed his arms in hindsight by unscrewing parts of it but they weren't drastically in the way and provided me something to hold on to while painting.

Next I took my Tamiya acrylic paint and brush and began painting him. This is the process I had been lead to believe was known as dry brushing, as opposed to air brushing. I would dip my brush into the paint, wipe excess off on the side, then apply to the figure. If I had any less paint on my brush then practically nothing would have happened and it would have taken 10+ coats to get to a good point. I would do a coat and set it aside and work on another piece. About every 5-10 minutes I would have worked back to that specific piece and do another coat.

I probably should have waited over night at least before sealing it but I was being impatient. I let it sit for about 2 hours to dry. I then dipped a brush in Future floor polish and applied it to the placed I had painted. I then let it sit for about 12 hours.

Then I put him back together, freed the stiff joints, and rushed to take the pictures.

I know I should have sanded down some friction points but I'm not sure it would have been much help. Only the locking tabs were really able to be sanded. For instance, where the doors meet the wheel wells. The doors have a V in them that a point of the wheel housing goes into. Those two pieces scrape no matter how much I would have sanded. So I'm not sure what I should have sanded on him.

So there's what I did. I know I was a little impatient with it.

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    really really awesome

9. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Cool! You should do an "evolution of Burnout" picture. :) 

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This piece AND the environment it's in ROCK.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I really appreciate the compliments guys. :) 

I could but it really isn't worth the effort I feel. V1 and V2 were just Drift repaints (hence where the head came from). V3 was a Side Arm Sideswipe. I feel this is the best one even if the transformation isn't what I'd want for the character.

12. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

:thumbs2: :drool: 

congrats, I want that fig to !!!