Burnout Paradise Demo -played it?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Smasher, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I played the Burnout Paradis demo last night.
    (I'm embarassed to admit that I couldn't find my demos after the new update.)

I'm not sure what to think.
    I don't want to say that I didn't like it, but it is vastly different than Revenge was.
    It's not quite what I was expecting.

It is no longer like your car is made of lead and the AI cars are made of styrofoam when you slam into them anymore. Collisions that would send traffic flying in Revenge actually wrecked my car in Paradise.

The graphical upgrades are obvious -the game looks great.

Here is what I had problems with:
    Drive into body shops to fix your car?
    Okay -but I accidentally wrecked on the way and my car was fixed anyway.
    Drive into gas stations to fill up the boost?
    I don't like that at all. It takes away from the craziness that is Burnout.
    And please, please tell me there is a way to get "DJ Atomica" to shut up in the retail version of the game.

I don't listen to Ryan Seacrest in real life, why should I have to listen to a virtual representation of him in Burnout?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I was going to download it the other day, but since my gold account expired the day before, it wouldn't let me. I'll check it again in a day or so, see how it is then..

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They probably make more sense in some of the events, fixing your car may be faster than waiting for it to finish crashing and then respawn.

I wan't impressed by the demo, as they only included 1 car, 1 boring multiplayer mode, and 2 events, An extra car or two and some type of multiplayer event would have been nice.

Sure, it was free. But the point of a demo is to try and impress people so they buy it.

A side note: Did anyone else spot the CompUSA billboard? I found that hilarious since the game doesn't came out till like January and compusa will be officially going out of business then.

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

this doesn't bode well... at least revenge will be cheaper.

5. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Besides the Demo taking forever, I liked it more than hated it overall. That DJ though, I want to put a bullet in his head. I played the Demo twice, and I had to sit thru all that annoying crap agian which hurt my experince to. I did like the new Car Style. Mustang Rear, Mopar front, Cuda side. Hoping the rest have some actual car styles in them to.

6. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Fear not, OP. Allow me to address your concerns!

The auto repairs in the demo are useless, granted. As anyone who's played well knows that wrecking your car grants you an auto-fix anyway. However, the auto repairs bestow their usefulness in the "Marked Man" and "Road Rage" events in the full game.

...as, in those two events, having your car wrecked will fail the event, I imagine being on the red-line in damage in Road Rage and rolling into an auto repair will be a saving grace while you're looking for those last couple takedowns.

Kinda agree. Of course, boost can still be earned the old fashioned way. A couple e-brake turns'll top ya off right quick. I could see the gas stations being used mostly for keeping you running at top speed in the Burning Route events. ...I hate time trials...

You can shut him up in the demo! Hit right on your d-pad and scroll down to options, from there, turn off tips. That'll cut out most of his idle chatter. Though, he'll still break in at the start of an event to spell everything out for us. ...Cuz, y'know... we might not all be clear on what a race is... >_>;;

Still, between 3, Revenge, and Paradise, I've found DJ Atomica the most bearable. ...not that that's saying much...

---

Paradise feels very... meaty. As stated, its no longer like guiding a bullet through a field of glass. Hitting cars and terrain has a lot of umph to it. Doesn't feel like Burnout, but it does feel satisfying.

I'm at odds with the demo though, the section of the city they gave us is impressive, but I don't feel like there's enough to do -- while some of the toys they gave us just left me scratching my head. Like the aforementioned auto-repair shops. The lack of structured events is disappointing while I felt they overstated the little things like smashing through shortcuts and billboards. But, I can't imagine deciding on how to craft a demo for a game like this was an easy process.

Still, I'm very confident in Paradise. Can't wait for the full version.

7. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I loved running itno shit, and watching the crash. I'll have to pick this sucker up for sure.

8. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Played online freeburn, this was loads of fun, doing stunts and smashing up the competition.

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Everyone needs to get a camera. Besides taking a picture for your license it also takes a pic when you wreck another player and lets you see their face when you did it.

Also press Right on the Dpad for online options. It was true drop in and drop out as I just loaded into a guys game exactly where I was in my game world and when he quit out I just kept driving along like nothing happened.

10. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    ...yeah, that's one thing I'm not so keen on. See, the whole taking-a-pic-as-you-win-a-race-or-some-schmo-takes-you-down sounds good in theory.

...but, Im'ma go online and there's gonna be a whole 'lotta man-wang being saved to my 360's hard-drive. I dunno how I feel about that.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Eeeh, I tried it and was actually kinda underwhelmed.

I dunno, it just didn't grab me by the balls and drag me along the road by them. The closest thing I can compare it to was the Flatout 2:Ultimate Carnage demo, and that was fun as hell.

12. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't care for Revenge as much as I did for Burnout 3, but I enjoyed the Paradise demo. The Burnout series is one of the few that my wife will sit down and play with me. In fact, she does better on some events than I do so we often trade out. I let her play the demo and she said she liked it even more than the other games. Looking forward for the release next month...gotta remember not to spend all of those Best Buy giftcards all at once!

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I was more a fan of 3 than Revenge also (too many random walls to impact in Revenge). I really liked the demo though, just being able to drive around and do what I want is pretty cool to me.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hell ya

Loving the tight car controls, can almost do a 180 on a dime.
    Flying down roads with the nitrus feels good.
    Want the game now to find all the good traffic areas, we need to hook up and smash it all
    This game really makes up for Burnout Revenge. Which was good, but a little recycled

15. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    No, this game makes up for Burnout Dominator >_>

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Bah, have to have a gold account to download a stupid demo?

Meh, Burnout hasn't impressed me the last couple of games anyways..I can wait.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought you could download demos on Silver?

I dunno.

Burnout 2 was the series highpoint for me, the emphasis on car combat (as opposed to straight racing with crashes) turned the series off for me. I dunno.

If its cheap I may get it.

18. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i loved takedown. road rage ftw. still havent played this yet...

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You can, but I've noticed as of late some demos are only available for Gold subscribers for a time (not sure how long, maybe the first day or two or so the demo is out)...which is just kinda..stupid, but whatever.

So the demo was finally available to those of us without Gold (Microsoft really should just drop the Gold/Silver crap..they are the only ones with a pay service for online this gen). I went ahead and gave it a download.

Definitely was impressed, makes up for the lesser installments as of late. Just driving around causing wrecks and whatnot is fun. The car handles great, the physics are nice, etc.

However, I am disappointed that it seems..for the most part anyways, that the vast majority of the time any accident you have tends to be with one other car and MAYBE a third car may happen to run into the wreckage. I'm hoping this is just with the demo and that the larger area in the full game will make pileups and whatnot more likely, and of course they keep the crash mode and what not. Also miss the show stopper/explosion thingy.

20. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

8.8 from IGN.

Rent for me!