Burning out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jbz, May 15, 2012.

1. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've recently gotten back into collecting Transformers after a pretty big break. My kids getting into Transformers Prime and me watching the show with them pretty much started it again. Maybe it's the newness of it all again and catching up with a lot of the stuff I missed while I was away from the scene, but I've been going at this pretty hard the last few months and I'm wondering if I'm going to get a sense of burning out if I don't slow down a bit.

Reading these forums it looks like quite a bit of you guys have been doing this for a while. Do you ever hit spots of feeling burnt out? Have any of you took a long break and came back? I love the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of looking at my collection. I don't want to lose that so I'm looking to see what others experiences have been. Thanks!

2. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've felt that way once when I was first starting college 10 years ago, and dropped out of the hobby for like 4 years. However, since I've been back into collecting, I've had that "burned out" feeling a few times. I never drop out of the hobby completely, but I'll really slow down in my purchases.

3. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oops, I posted this in the Toy Forum. Not sure where it belong. General?

4. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty sure this would go in the toy forum as it pertains to collecting the toys...

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I've only been collecting around a year, but yes, before Botcon, I was pretty much ready to sell all of my classics and be done with everything but MPs, but the event really did reinvigorate the want to collect and even start backtracking toys I'd written off before.

6. OmegaSupreme235

OmegaSupreme235 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I also got back into the hobby due to my little girls intrest in the movies and prime and i'm already feeling burnt out between trying to catch up on old lines and keep up with current I feel overwhelmed by it all.

7. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you're saying I need to go to a Botcon every now and then eh :) 

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i find my love of collecting is connected to my enjoyment of the current media and how difficult it is to find new toys.

9. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I have not hit that point with TF collecting since I have very little I really want to pick up right now. I want more G1 figures but those are cost prohibitive. In the past I have been very burned out on Gi Joe collecting for a few years or more.

10. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Dude I have collected and sold roughly three almost complete collections spanning G1-Beast Wars. It was exhausting everytime. But I'm glad I sold off the bulk of my collections each time, so that I could get back to normal. It's hard to realize, but one day you get to the point where you look at all the "material" things you've collected, and you realize you've started to cramp your life. At least thats how I've felt.

You can't go wrong with "sticking with what you really enjoy". The true test of that, is to sell or give away what you have, and if you really still want it, then go buy it again and hold it as a valued piece of your collection.

11. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting thought process there. I sold my collection in the past and really regret it now. So I guess I truly enjoy this hobby because man I would kill for the stuff I sold off 10 years ago right now :eek: 

I want to sell off my Lego collection. It's too pricey to keep up both of these, plus I want to get back into some Macross stuff too.

12. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I know I am.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Absolutely. I cycle through my interests every so often. For example, right now, I feel my interest in buying Transformers starting to die down a lot and my interest in GI Joe ramping up again as we get closer to the new movie. Then maybe I'll spend half a year where I do nothing but build Gundam models or something.

I'm about done with the TFP line, for example. I'll probably end up getting a Bulkhead and that will be it. I have no interest in any of the non-show characters like Ironhide or any of the repaints. I might get one or two of the FoC figures, but I won't be picking up the entire line or anything close to it, the way I might have if the line had hit retail a couple months ago when my TF collecting fever was at its peak.

Then maybe a year down the line, my interest will build back up and I'll realize all the great stuff I missed and wonder if any of it is still possible to pick up. A great example of this is that it would have been really nice and convenient if I had been paying attention to Transformers in 2009 when Buster Prime came out, rather that having to try to pick it up on the secondary market this year.

14. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is definitely on my list of things to do. Originally it was a SDCC, but I think I would enjoy BotCon more. I think the wife would prefer SDCC due to location though

15. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly it was a blast... the biggest thrill for me was the dealer area and the room sales parties. Just being able to see so many figures you've never seen in person is something that just makes your interests go beserk.

16. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol, yeah. I caught myself checking Ebay auctions for Snake Eyes figs the other night.

Your second point is one that sticks with me. I see some of the stuff I missed out on (Transformers wise) when I was sitting out and it sucks knowing I could have gotten in on a lot of those things for much cheaper. I think I need to focus my efforts here. The main problem is I'm literally all over the place with what I'm buying. TFP figs one week, Igear seeker the next. Tonight I was looking at KO Devastators in black and white. LOL. Gotta focus!

17. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    burned out, never. I've got an urge all of a sudden to buy beast wars and let me tell you that was a curveball because I had zero interest in it before....

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've taken a couple big breaks, burned out? nahh.

19. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

I quit twice, sold almost everything because i was fed up with hasbro's way of doing things. But as a real addict i restarted twice.
    I can't deny that i like transforming robots, even if they are overexpensive pieces of plastic.

I will probably get fed up with hasbro in a year or 2 and stop again, it's a vicious circle ;) 

20. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Between the new Prime stuff & 3rd Party companies, the only thing burnt out is my wallet. I took a break after the first couple of waves of DOTM, almost all of HFTD I skipped as well. But when there's a dry spell, I'm either saving up for next year's Botcon, TCC exclusives, 3P stuff I want, or backtracking stuff from lines I either missed or overlooked.