Minor/Repaint: Burning Fallen

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tom_Servo, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    I posted this over in TFW, but somebody suggested that I post is in here too. I thought it was good idea.
    This is my custom ROTF Fallen. Due to all of his new translucent flame effects, I've taken to calling him Burning Fallen! The flames are made by slathering hot glue over clear plastic forms and painting with clear Tamiya Color yellow, red and orange. I made these flames redder than I would normal flames, for I imagine that they are less earthly combustion and more satanic power spilling fourth and whatnot.
    I've also installed a ball joint in his neck that allows him to give the Jason Head Tilt to anyone who's looking for trouble, and he's received a head-to-toe repaint with the dark grimy, worn metal look that one would expect of a such a creature.
    My Fallen is on eBay now. Please have a look.
    **Please post ebay auctions in the TFW2005.com ebay forum. Thanks! ~Radicons Staff**
    Any crits and comments are welcome.
    Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  2. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

you sir have made this already awesome figure even better. I live near a beach so I can take some photos of my fallen like hes in the desert. god I love this fricking custom! how exactly did you do the hot glue? on like a table or something to mold it?

3. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Freaking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Was the orangey parts all over the body a pain to tackle???

4. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

It's stuff like this that makes me want to buy figures I originally didn't really like! It's very motivational.

5. chris-morada

chris-morada Banned

I LOVE FIRE! I like what you did with his arms man!

6. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thank you all so much! I'm glad you dig it!
    Andrew28b- The flames are my own recipie. For this sort of flame, I cut some clear package window plastic into the shape I want, with lots of holes and undercuts to make it interesting. Then I glue it in place where I want it and begin working the glue up the surface of the form, holding it upside down to keep the flames going in the right direction. I keep a cup of cool water near by so I can cool and shape it with wet fingers. I keep the glue from becoming too hot and runny by unplugging the gun when it gets to the right temperature, but I have a good one that has a "Low" setting, and that works well for most things. Once it's a good shape, I paint it all yellow and then work up from the lighter to darker shades of orange and red.
    If you use clear rods, this technique makes awesome laserblasts.
    Sabsabby85- Not as bad as you might think, but still tedious. I did all the line work in silver and then slathered on clear red. Then it was just a matter of dry brushing the black, and then other colors, back over the high points.
    Fateastray- I really didn't like this figure out of the box. He's cast in an ugly green and he doesn't look much like the movie design, but I did what I could to jazz him up. I'm glad I could change your mind! I sure like him better now.
    Chris_Morada- I'm a fan of your work, so i really appreciate that. Thanks!

7. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice work. The flames are a nice touch.

I have a similar fire bonus for my Fallen custom.

Great job!

8. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Timshin! Long time no see brutha! You got flames? I wanna see yo flames!

9. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Love the flamery goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Top job sir!:drool: 

10. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm almost finished painting.

I didn't want to rush it. Lots of detail in this figure that deserves some extra time.

Again, nice work. I digs!

11. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks Big Hank. I've received a question about the ball joint in the neck. This neck mod does not hinder transformation at all and is fairly simple to achieve with a minimal level of customizing experience.
    First, I removed the head in an extremely inelegant way- by twisting it until is snapped off. However, if you wanted to be a bit neater about it. The head is mounted on a bracket that will pop off if you stick a small screwdriver, or some such thing, under it and give it a twist. You will then see that the head is attached to the bracket with a metal pin. You can do like I did and twist it off like a goon, or you could use the soldering iron heated pin removal technique that has tutorials on most of the customizing sites. Once the head is off, that should leave you with a head with an empty socket in it. This is where it gets tricky. You'll have to locate the male side of a ball joint that will fit snugly into the head's socket. I found one that was a ball with a nice long stem on it. I then drilled out a hole of the correct size and glued the stem in place. Et voilĂ ! He has a neck! If you wanted to get fancy, you could mount a new bracket under the existing one to give him some more height and better posture, but then you would get into interfering with the transformation. However, the bot mode is what this figure is all about, so it's up to the individual.
    I hope that answers the neck questions, but if anyone else is curious I'm wide open. Thanks again for looking and commenting everybody!

12. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    One more thing- All of this neck business happens on top of the panels that flip out from behind his head, so they still work fine. I have them folded up in my pictures because I think it looks cleaner and more like the the character in the movie- from what I've seen.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Nice additional details to the figure, the flames are really impressive. Really awesome job.

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he looks really good, man. An unexpected bonus is in his "jet" mode, the arms don't stick out quite so sorely as before, thanks to the flames in the back!

15. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really like this idea. I even thought about adding the hot glue flames over the LEDs in mine, but I couldn't find any pics of the fallen having flames, and well, after the movie last night..............

16. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks! I like to find an excuse to go big with the flames- even if it's only how I personally want the character to look.
    The hot glue flames are my baby, so it always thrills me to see professionals using them.

17. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Great work TS youre pyro fx work is the best.
    Love the Prehistoric terror pic's.

18. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks Spurt, you're too kind. Nice to see a familiar faceplate, BTW!

19. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Flames your baby? did you do a tutorial on them somewhere. I remember Lst year I thought hey, I could make flames with hot glue. I then looked around and saw this KILLER comic Fallen, I can't remember if it was the titanium or something, but it was done like this. Was that yours?

Thanks for stealing my idea before I had it!!!:) 

20. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Yup, that's my Tutorial. I think it's still up at TFans and I know it's up now at Sector70.
    This was my first Fallen. Is this the one you're talking about?
    [​IMG]
    I was going with calling him "Movie Fallen" back in the day. I don't know what to call him now, since he's not really comic book accurate either.