Minor/Repaint: BURN for the COLONY!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Ebay:
    Thanks for the opinions guys! All done.

This is BW Inferno with a (Dragon Megatron transmetal) red repaint, gradient shaded metallic red to black limbs, and a more accurate colored robot mode.
    Ant mode pic is from before I added robot mode details that hurt the look of alt mode. I will probably get a new ant shot up soon.

Attached Files:

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love this figure so much. are you going to do a new head as well? big flamethrowers too lol?

personally for me since i love the character for the bot mode and not alt modes i would go for robot mode accuracy.

and then send him to me thanks.

3. Vince

Vince Decepticon

News Credits:
    Robot mode is far more iconic and striking to me personally. However the head on that mold really needs some reworking to be accurate...great paintjob btw!

4. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Ebay:
    Actually all I had to do was paint in the details and I think his head ended up more accurate than a lot of main BW show figures.
    Looks like we are leaning toward bot mode accuracy so far...

5. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

I believe you should make Inferno's bot mode more show accurate, it is what the Queen would like, far better than the inferior organic mode. For the ROYALTY!

(P.s. the organic quip was to keep in character, i love me organics)

6. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

robot mode.. the stock version did him no justice

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

How does the bot mode look at the moment? What would change about the ant mode if you you were to make the 'bot mode spot-on accurate? Seems to me the sensible route would be to split the diff; possibly pick out a bit more of the bot (if necessary), but try to make it as unobtrusive to the any mode as possible.

So far all your bugs have been creepily realistic; it'd seem kind of a shame to buck the trend to concentrate on the 'bot mode.

8. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Ebay:
    I agree 100%, but I also haven't done a show character yet. Doing so, i need the most iconic form to look best.
    I would mostly be adding silver to the legs and arms for robot mode. Already did the abdomen and head.

I'll probably get pics up of robot mode as it is soon, for more opinions.

9. Ironkorr

Ironkorr Ironkorr Customs

Ebay:
    i love this figure, awesome job

10. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Ebay:
    Well here is how he looks in robot mode now. The shoulders and crotch should be dark red, and there would be chrome parts on the shoulders and legs that would negatively effect bug mode.

Attached Files:

11. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I'm for bot mode accuracy.

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

From the animation model, I'm not seeing where you need any chrome on the shoulders, though it looks like you want to do the crotch black or dark red, same as the shoulders. I think those darkened bits would still look fine in ant mode.

The silver parts on the legs, I'm really not sure about. If you painted the whole sections on the 'bot silver, then yeah, I think it would hurt the ant mode. What about highlighting the areas visible from the front of the 'bot mode with the silver, but blending it in so it's less visible in ant mode, and just looks like part of the markings where you can see it?

13. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Hmmmm. I was waiting to give my opinion on this until you posted a pic of how the bot mode looks currently and I have to say I think that as it stands now the bot mode is really suffering with the show accurate ant mode. He just looks so plain and red right now (although it's a beautiful red), especially on the arms. He needs a little something to break that solid red up a little. I'd say that you should definitely try painting on those round spots of silver on the lower legs at least, maybe not the upper legs, I think on the actual figure that painting the silver spots there might make them a little busy looking. Those small spots shouldn't be too distracting in ant mode and allow you to add another silver element in that mode besides the mandibles (color repetition, you know). As for the arms, I think the forearms could be helped by painting those round spots like in your reference pic with a dark browny purple (or that dark red you used before so you don't have to add a new color to the palette you already have) or a the very least a wash of the darker red to pick out those details and break that red up. The lower part of his crotch should be painted that color too, although you could probably just paint the front side (bot mode)/bottom side (alt mode) so it doesn't affect the ant mode. On the upper arms and shoulder pieces I think you should compromise by doing another gradient shading like you did already on the legs in the same color to give the effect of them being a different color and breaking up the red while still allowing those pieces to not appear so out of place in ant mode. No silver needed at all (I think in the reference pic the silver you might be seeing is just them being shiny and metallic looking and not actually being silver in color). I'm not digging that head right now but it is probably because it is not his signature metallic teal yet and if and when you do that it will look better. It is probably more accurate a sculpt than other BW heads like you said, but still not great. All in all amazing work so far and I'm sure whatever you end up doing will look top notch like the rest of your stuff.

14. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

great paint job, makes the figure look so much nicer than the old translucent plastic

15. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Ebay:
    Thanks for all of the feedback.
    Yes he does have silver on his shoulders in the middle of the darker red, though it may be hard to see (or not there) in the ref pic I posted.
    Stratonrye, I think his head is actually chrome like the other parts in his robot mode. It often looked teal in the show because of the green and blue, or metallic interior environments. I could be wrong though. If you can post any reference pics here to prove that I will consider doing that here.

Taking all of you guys input, I will add the robot details. I'll do the darker red parts the same as the ones that fade, by using gunmetal with the red spray over it. then i will add the silver.
    Final pics coming soon!

16. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Love it

17. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Purely awesome! One of my favorite characters--I remember being thrilled when I found one at a store somewhere long after they were out of circulation (about when season three was starting to air) You did some great work on him. :) 

18. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Ebay:
    Hell, after some further research, his head does have a very slight teal tone to it, and bluish-gunmetal eyebrows.
    I added all robot mode details, though I used a lighter metallic maroon color that the show. Hopefully ant mode will still look pretty cool, even if less realistic.

Thanks for all the useful opinions!

Attached Files:

19. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

very very nice.

20. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

i dont think the paint job will really hurt him beast mode.. but dear god... i realized wat you REALLY HAVE TO DO.. you need to make him a new gun. that stupid mouth ant gun does NO, NO, NO JUSTICE compared to the gun he had on the show..