Bumblebee: The Movie To Become The Focal Point Of Transformers Brand Blueprint This Christmas

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Feb 10, 2018.

1. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

And lets start with the G1 hate in a movie topic that has nothing to do with G1. Then we can say thats its the gewuners who complain :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm OK with only 4 waves if it means less repaints (hopefully )

3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think we will see POTP officially end by Spring 2019.

I think Hasbro is betting on this Bumblebee movie doing the best for the brand since the 2007 movie. Why? This is the 1st live action TF movie not directed by Michael Bay. With Hasbro pushing hard with toys catered to a largely younger demographic, it's clear Hasbro has a lot of faith in the new director. Plus it's a lower budget movie so if the movie does well, it's potentially more toy profit for Hasbro.

I think this is also a test; if this movie takes off, maybe Hasbro will use this as an opportunity for Travis Knight to take over as main director of future Transformers movies, instead of Michael Bay.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh... Hasbro has no choice in Directors, and does not contribute to the budget of the film in any way, so they wouldn't see any more money from the success of a lower budget movie.

All of that is Paramount.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Professional Chain Yanker TFW2005 Supporter

Why do people dedicate their lives to hating on/bitching about the movies? I don't get it. It doesn't hurt anyone except yourself. Same goes for people that are upset that Optimus and Bumblebee are the most popular characters. They are the Batman and Superman of this franchise; deal with it.

It sounds like a solid plan: center your product and marketing around a billion-dollar movie franchise. Interested in seeing what Cyberverse is all about. I wonder if they will save the gimmicks for the "young children" lines, and let Generations focus on improving engineering and general quality, since it is the "budget collectors and big kids" line. I'm sure this is already confirmed or denied...haven't kept up to date on this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I don't get why people get such things into their minds.
    Optimus Prime IS NOT SUPERMAN!
    This franchise is called and always has been called TRANSFORMERS. Not Optimus and Bumblebee.
    For marketing purposes it makes sense to make them prominent in the movies.
    For every other aspect of the franchise - ESPECIALLY the childrens cartoons - it makes
    no sense at all.
    Because children haven't got a clue who the
    characters are
    when thet get to know the franchise and collectors other than yourself and others who care
    mostly/only
    about those two
    want to see
    more of
    the other TF characters.

7. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I think Hasbro's Bumblebee obsession is misguided. Unlike Batman or Superman, Bumblebee has never been "his own guy"* holding up his own stories, he's always part of an Autobot team. It's like if TMNT started giving Michelangelo 10 times more exposure than the other 3 Ninja Turtles, who are treated as expendable. They've already had one show with Bumblebee as the main character, now they're doing another one, along with a Bumblebee spinoff movie. If they keep pushing it to this extent, I wouldn't be surprised if kids just get sick of the character from overexposure.

At least with Optimus, he had a reason for being given focus - he was the leader. And even then, it wasn't to the detriment of everyone else, being leader was just his role in the team. It wasn't until the 2007 movie that the meme started with "Optimus and Bumblebee are the only transformers that matter, everyone else can bugger off".

There are so many other good Autobots; Jazz, Ironhide,Ratchet, Hot Rod, Bulkhead, Arcee, Kup, Wheeljack, etc. Why not give them some attention too, instead of putting all the chips on Bumblebee?

*The 2018 Bumblebee movie is going to be the first time the character has a solo story, it remains to be seen how good of an idea this is.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Professional Chain Yanker TFW2005 Supporter

I am not Bumblebee and Optimus Prime's number 1 fan. Just stating that Hasbro/Paramount/the people in charge have marketed Optimus and Bumblebee as main characters and...guess what? They are the main characters of this franchise now. Same as Megatron and Starscream are the main villains.

Yeah, it sucks that others fall to the wayside, and yeah, it's inevitable that people will tire out from overexposure. Still, just because there is a wealth of characters in a franchise doesn't mean they are all created with equal exposure in mind. Just ask Matter-Eater Lad.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

What's going to change is Hasbro is going to have MAOR BUMBLEBEE!!! Much, MUCH more!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

"What's that, you're tired of Bumblebee? Don't worry, we're also gonna have plenty of focus on Windblade!"

*gargles bleach*

• Like Like x 1
  11. NominusDP

NominusDP Liking Shockwave is very logical

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Honestly
    Windblade's relative newness only makes this worse
    I REALLY don't like all the exposure this canon Mary Sue oc is getting

12. iuJacob

iuJacob low battery

News Credits:
    22CE00AB-BC96-4E19-BC9D-22AA6D2BC249.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That's because
    she's a strawman.
    Stop white knighting for the snowflakes!

14. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As for the video games being pulled out, I guess that makes TF Armada, TF WFC, TF FOC & TF Devastation are the best TF gaming options we have. Any games that have the movie franchise in it sucks.

For the POTP line, it can last into 6 waves i hope.
    Regarding Star Saber, it's a must and Has-Tak shouldn't ignore it.

The engineering required for it is already existing.
    Leader-Evolution (Transtector Body & Saber figure) + Titan Master (Brain Master) = Star Saber!!!

Just imagine if that happens then Tak-Tom released a Victory Leo figure just like what they did for the Legends Super Ginrai by making God Bomber. Well it could be a Tak-Tom Mall Exclusive considering Has-Tak's "brand unification".

15. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did someone mention windblade?
    HI I'M WINDBLADE!
    BYE I'M WINDBLADE!
    DIE I'M WINDBLADE!

The news really is about as important as Hasbro saying "We will be focusing on selling toys this christmas"

16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I wouldn't be too quick to assume a Victory Leo would be made if we get Star Saber. Many of us are STILL waiting for the Masterpiece version...

17. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Uh, well, I hope it's only for christjmas and only for the kid oriented lines, I definitely won't like less Generations to make room for more movie stuff and Bumblebee stuff.

18. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're launching the Studio Series line aimed at the same collector range as Generations is, so it definitely won't only be the kid oriented lines.

19. NominusDP

NominusDP Liking Shockwave is very logical

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The only incarnation of Windblade that I somewhat like is the IDW one
    She should have stayed a IDW-exclusive character in my opinion , and I utterly despise the RID2015 and Prime Wars Trilogy versions for the simple FACT she's become as "important" as Bee or Optimus

20. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

It's amazing how he's managed to waste so many minutes without saying anything at all! :lol 

Seriously, how does "CHANGE" occur when you do things... almost exactly the same???? :lol  :lol  I mean, look at the facts: RB gets replaced! (with RB Academy! Whoops!). RID gets replaced! (with a similar kiddy program, Cyberverse!). And no more Bay TFs!!! OH NOES! (except that the BB movie is using the exact same robot designs, and most likely a similar enough style to not turn away the Bay fans :rolleyes2 ). So mostly, this is worthless blustering meant to impress the average shareholder who doesn't know anything about this stuff (i.e. horrible car salesman BS!).

The Evergreen is a good idea for licensing, because I imagine some disadvantage when you're making a product that covers one of the THREE types of TF programming. It's a shame, for example, if your RID product can't appeal to movie fans or RB fans (and maybe Evergreen packaging would alleviate some of that loss).

Goldner, once again, avoids directly talking about TF Movie toy sales, which pretty much answers your suspicions in the positive: YES, the toys sold badly; he would tell you otherwise, directly, if not. And beside any need for a corporate confirmation, the majority of fans (in various geographic locations) can attest to not finding specific toys (i.e. Cogman), and how Wave 1 sold terribly EVERYWHERE (because it was all repaints/re-issues).

Hasbro looks, from this earnings call, to be somewhat risk averse. For example, they could plan for a complete movie re-launch (should the BB movie fail), but there seems to be no mention of contingencies for this. I can only assume they have SOME plan, but I suspect they are running against the wall with these horrible Bay movies. The sharp decline in box office kind of points to a "fad" success story, more than something that will perpetuate in future pop culture - at least, I've always felt the forgettable plot, horrible characterization, awful battle cinematography, etc. would stop being so new and shiny eventually... And I mean all of this with great respect: for the TF brand, NOT Bay's bastardization. Bay, himself, has a really spotty career (outside of the TF franchise), and I sincerely doubt his name will ever reach the heights it did without the TF brand (he's had a lot of flops outside of TF). That should mean something to Paramount AND Hasbro, but unfortunately, they seemed to ignore the writing on the wall, and TF4 failed exactly because it was the same type of movie already made 3 times before! :banghead: 

Anyway, this movie stuff is worth complaining about because bad decisions here can tank the TF franchise (especially when Hasbro refuses to really embrace the retro G1 appeal - where's the new G1 cartoon? G1 morie?). Rather than run away from their past success, I think Hasbro should go back to its G1 roots (or even BW!).

Windblade is a girl. Girls are buying more toys than boys. This is really a gender appeal, not a character appeal - although male fans like her, too! But any time you put a girl character in the forefront of a cartoon show, it's to appeal to the female audience. And like I said, girls buy more toys now, so WB could easily usher us into a female-exclusive team and/or cartoon (in the future). I think it's a good idea to do NOW... but Hasbro being old fashioned (i.e. "Boy toys" and "Girl Toys"), this is something that may yet take some time (or brand hemorrhaging) before it comes to fruition.

• Like Like x 1