Customs: Bumblebee Stripe Removal Job

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nutcrusher, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    So, I decided to turn a deluxe '77 Bumblebee into my friend's car for a Christmas present.

His car looks something like this.
    [​IMG]

But it means removing the stripes or painting over them. I've already tried using alcohol, it does not work... and I was wondering if anyone had an idea.

The color will be lemon-y yellow. And I'll have to redo the front and rear a bit, and the wheels to match the right model year. I think I can handle most parts, but I'm really worried about stripes, because if I can't remove the stripes, then I'll have to paint over them, but you usually don't paint lighter colors over dark colors cause it's noticeable. And I don't think I'm skilled enough to sand the stripes away either.

So...yeah. That's my problem. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    eh, those stripes come off if you sneeze on them.

Try some testor's paint thinner.

3. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

rubbing alcohol will work to remove them as I have done it on a concept bb. You just have to have a high percentage rubbing alcohol and have some patience

4. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Use ur finger nail.:banghead: 

5. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

Get a scotch bright sponge pad. On the yellow side (sponge) soak some paint thinner in. Work it into the stripes using some elbow grease until it starts coming off.

If that fails to yield the proper results, proceed to soak the green side (scour pad) with Thinner. Gently..GENTLY GENTLY....rub the stripes. We're trying to work the thinner into the paint and give it a gentle nudge.

Don't fumble around with that scour pad like a 13 year old boy copping his first feel of a-cups through a sweatshirt, a tank top and a bra. It'll only end up in heartbreak and ruin!!!

6. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

I walked by mine and the gentle breeze caused the stripes to leap off the figure, grab a gun, steal my wallet, kick my dog, and run out the door.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Putting paint thinner on plastic makes me nervous.

I'm much more comfortable using 91% isopropyl.

8. SonRay

SonRay Banned

If you dont want to use chemicals, use some fine grit wet and dry sand paper. 1600 grade is best, use some soapy water and rub em off by hand. Simple.

You should do this to the whole figure anyway to get a smooth finish on the paint.

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Me too....I've always had great results with alcohol....the higher the % the better....

I have also used lighter fluid to remove the blue stripes from Alt Wheeljack without damaging the white paint underneath the stripes.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    sandpaper will kill the finish on the plastic! even wet sand, or 4,000,000 grit.

use 91% alcohol

11. SonRay

SonRay Banned

No, it wont. It actually helps the finish and gives the best result. If you wet sand every layer of paint that you apply you will get a silky smooth and shiny finish. Stop questioning my techniques at every turn, i know what im freaking doing!

And alcohol isn't always the best way, as it isn't available in all countries. (like where i am) so sand paper is the best thing to use if one cant get alcohol or they are inexperienced and weary of using chemicals on toy plastic. At least with sand paper an inexperienced user is in full control of what will happen.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    My apologies, I didn't take into consideration some countrys don't sell alcohol.

sand away...

13. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Hmm. Months ago, I soaked a broken Bumblebee (you know, the one with the automorph defect) in 75% alcohol for like 3 days, and it still wouldn't rub off. Does using higher percentage alcohol work? And has anyone tried it before? I just want to be sure as I don't wanna get another one.

14. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Its probably would but some people have used 91% and it still hasnt worked. Try some fine sand paper and soapy water if the booze isnt helping. :p 

Or try petrol (no not the kind you put in your car, but lighter fluid kind) but again that might not work either. I cant see why though....but then again ive never tried stripping the lines off of a concept bb before..

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    70% alcohol is almost 1/2 water.

91% will take the paint off. I guarentee it. It's been recommended on this thread several times, and can be found at almost every store for about $1

16. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    ....:popcorn ....*coughs*.....Hello!

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

He wasn't questioning you, he was making a statement that actually a lot of us live by, myself included. Stop taking everything so personally or you'll be removed from the forum.

18. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

amen.

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    thank god. This is why I love TFw2005 forums...the mods are actually knowledgable.

listen, no offense or slander, I just don't want to see the OP's BB get ruined from sandpaper. I wouldn't recommend even sandpapering something that will get repainted.

And wreckgar...you a fan of Iron man?!?

check this out. you will be wow'd...this is one of the most amazing custom's i've ever seen:

http://www.collectors-zone.com/ReadMore_Ironman.htm

20. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Alright, thanks everyone. I'll try to find a 99% alcohol. Hopefully that does it. I'll let you all know if it works.