Bumblebee Movie Masterpiece Bumblebee Confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Am I missing something here? Looking at the review video, and the quick compare to the Studio Series, this seems like a huge improvement. Is it honestly that we've become so divisive because people expect more, so they look to 3rd Party to create their renditions? Or is there really a matter of price versus value? Or is it accuracy to something CGI rendered in a movie? Honestly, I'm asking because I didn't know this was a thing until Wei Jiang Commander versus Evasion Optimus and now this. This version of Movie Bumblebee is the first time I've actually liked a design, so I'm trying to make educated decisions.

• Like Like x 4
  2. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Just read VW is ending production on the Beetle in 2019.
    Good thing Bee switched to a Camaro :lol 

On a serious note, I'm gonna buy MPM07.

3. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

Yes MP are..MPM figures are to be as close the CGI as possible!.. unfortunately the actual CGI makes makes that pretty impossible.. something is going to give.. also it would makes sense having a state side release that a perfect $200 MP is out of the question!

And lastly the door won't haters.. BB has had BEE WINGS since the first movie is required for the character design! Just because a new movie is out and that movie designer thinks the wings be flush too his back, doesn't mean that the your designers agree!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Movie coming out soon and releasing all the products for it now. Not exactly a big mystery.

• Like Like x 4
  5. mattyou78

mattyou78 Well-Known Member

Accuracy would be nice but most of the movie designs have some kind of bullshit to their transformation scheme. Barricade, for example, has 911 and "to punish and enslave" on the rear of each side, but 911 ends up on his wrist, the motto ends up on the shoulder kibble with the Decepticon badge form the forny of the sides. That's something that's be really hard to replicate without over complicating the arm transformation. Even ROTF and MPM Optimus show the limitations of a toy trying to replicate which vehicle parts end up where in robot mode, like MPM Optimus having the wrong flame decals on his arms and abs.

And with Bumblebee here, although he looks more simplified compared to previous movie designs, he has things going on like the indicators/turn lights that sit above what becomes his chest end up on his thigh armour.

G1 and Best Wars Masterpiece figures do things better simply because they're based on much simpler source material.

In all honestly I wouldn't have said no to a series of non-transforming but accurately sculpted and painted movie figures (not like the half measures that were Robot Replicas) as I (and many others) only display figures in robot mode anyway. But I know a lot of people have a problem with merchandise that doesn't convert.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

The Great Doorwing Debate, part 2 :lol 

My personal opinion is, if their car alt mode has doors, then the Cybertronian has the option for doorwings. That's just me though.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really, really, really wish Hasbro would've waited until the final character model was done for Bumblebee before making this figure.

I get that they're trying to strike while the iron is hot but man....this just means if TF7 gets greenlit and Bumblebee uses this alt mode again, our next chance at an accurate MPM bee is years away

• Like Like x 7
  8. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Ron Swanson

News Credits:
    When you have three posts that are moments from each other, you're not responding to anyone else, it's just an afterthought. If you really need to separate your posts, you can use dashes or what I do, type out EDIT: and then respond.

It's a PITA to read a multipost when you're trying to follow a thread. My mind goes "This is XYZ's thoughts. Okay, let me compartmentalize that." "Oh, this is Digger's post. Let me compartmentalize that. Oh, another Digger post. Okay. And... another." All on topic, all just essentially going "oh and... I forgot to mention/add, etc."

If other people have responded since your last post, then you're not double posting.

Because there's a modicum of doing your own leg work? And a bit of netiquette thrown into it as well. Mods don't get paid to be a typesetters or editors (or anything for that matter).

This question is like going to Yahoo and typing in Google. Would you make a thread to ask a mod to search something for you?

You absolutely lost me here.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Unfortunately they're kinda fucked in that regard. They have to start designing these figures at a certain time or else they can't come out in time for the movie, which is what they exist to do in the first place.

Luckily, backpack aside, this figure isn't a bad rendition. It's just not really MP-quality design for an MP. This is like a really good voyager Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would've preferred that Hasbro waiter on making this. As stated earlier, I get that they're trying to strike while the iron is hot but in their recent drive towards movie accuracy, this is a step back.

Looks great as a toy but just knowing it could've been better.... ah well

11. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

That isn't necessarily true. There are a lot of G1 designs that are so warped between alt and bot mode that an accurate physical representation is next to impossible. Sure there are easy schemes like Prowl or Soundwave but one look at Sunstreaker, Dinobot, or v3 Prime and you'll see the same, if not a higher, level of complexity as RotF leader or MPM Prime.

Even if we count 3rd parties, there are some designs that are just too stylized to engineer without compromises. For starters, I would love to see anyone accurately get this:

Ironhide-G1MT.jpg

Out of this:

Datsun-VanetteCoach.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

I think this is the direction future mpm figure should go, swiveling thumbs, nice amount of die-cast, and a cool weathering effect. Hopefully his blue eyes will be visible enough through the clear battle mask like in the movie. Also for anyone complaining about the doors wings, the review showed that there is plenty of hinges, it should be easy to fold them on the back(that's how I'll display mine), it's back won't be accurate but I'll just remind you of the kibble on mp36, an issue on an over $200 transformer had

13. GunplaGamer

GunplaGamer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    IMO the bot mode looks awesome but the alt mode looks a little weird with all the kibble that I see under the car.

14. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I wonder about the likelihood of Hasbro developing a Studio Series and Masterpiece VW!Bumblebee that actually looks like the one we see in the trailer (and the final movie)...

(Or if not Hasbro, then a third-party toy making group.)

15. extracomputer

extracomputer Well-Known Member

looked up that bonecrusher....that's not actually the one I was thinking of but would make an good mpm. I was thinking of [​IMG]. He was hunted down by autobots and killed by prime at beginning of movie. While I think all the way through each movie got considerably worse than the one before it, they did have a few nice designs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Looks like shit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Third party companies made Optimus from the TLK and remolded his MPM Optimus to be movie accurate so I disagree with impossible. This new Bumblebee is even simpler than his other counterparts so if they can make that into a Masterpiece then how can they not this one?

18. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It looks like this because this is what the initial design looked like. The wingless look was a late change after hasbro had already designed the figure.

19. mattyou78

mattyou78 Well-Known Member

I just meant in terms of where vehicle kibble ends up in robot mode. With the movie bots it's often as if it's just been stuck on at random and the toy designers have to figure out a way to match that, sometimes resulting in cumbersome mechanisms that don't match the elegance of the CG model; with G1 there's usually a fairly logical and simple placement of vehicle kibble which isn't often different from the original figure. Your example is an exception rather than the rule given how the original toy's robot mode looked nothing like the cartoon version. In G1, though, you don't get things like DOTM soundwave where the front of the car ends up as the chest, except the headlights that end up on the thighs below the gas tank cap that comes from the rear end of the car.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  20. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Take another look at the animation models for the G1 cast. Most of the cast has their alt mode kibble mass shifted for bot mode which makes the MP transition just as challenging as movie figures. Again this is strictly going off of what children saw on screen vs what is possible on a real world figure. The characters in question having a terrible preexisting toy is irrelevant.

Something like Barricade's vehicle markings ending up in weird places in bot mode is just as egregious as the mass shifting that ran rampant in G1 designs. G1 Optimus has had 3 MPs and each and every one of them used a fake grill because of how distorted his bot mode animation model was compared to a real world truck. MP Sunstreaker and Dinobot literally turn inside out with the lion's share of their alt mode kibble being faux parts.

Even if alt mode kibble doesn't mass shift, the G1 base design could still result in an extremely complicated MP. Again these MPs were done right but would you call either of them simple?

Megatron_transformers_titans_g1_by_marcelomatere.png

d2b72f994e361f3baeb68cdeed076489.jpg

This isn't even taking into account designs as warped as the minibots. If DotM Soundwave has alt mode kibble location issues, how would you explain Gears or Windcharger?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2