Bumblebee Movie Masterpiece Bumblebee Confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Aug 19, 2018.

1. rendsora

rendsora Well-Known Member

Bwa ha ha lolololololol cannot unsee!

• Like Like x 1
  2. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
  3. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well. My initial reaction when I saw him was, "That's a masterpiece??" ...So that's probably a bad sign.

And yeah, after a closer look, I'd say he's mostly a failure, unfortunately. It looks like they just slapped a VW shell on Camaro Bee, and ignored the new movie design's substantial differences in bot-mode kibble and proportions. He doesn't look like a bad figure in his own right, but he's nowhere close to being an accurate, definitive version of the design he represents. Which is what the MPM figures so far have been aiming to achieve.

Let's just compare the upper body to the movie model:

IMG_6227.jpg

Look at how much lower and flatter the hood/headlight pieces are supposed to sit. Look at where the wheels on his back are supposed to be, instead of jutting out on kibble way past his shoulders. Look at how compact and kibble-free he's supposed to be overall, instead of having half a car hanging off his back.

Maybe I was expecting too much of Hasbro/Takara, I don't know. Or maybe they should have waited till they could engineer the figure based on the final CGI files. (The doors really needed to be able to fold down onto his back to capture the movie look properly.)

But I feel like we may be reaching the point where 3rd-party engineering is surpassing Takara's. If Unique Toys can give designs like movie Lockdown & knight Optimus clean bot modes with almost no vehicle kibble, it should certainly be possible to do so with this Bumblebee. That huge ugly mess of parts hanging off him just doesn't seem masterpiece-level to me.

There are some positives: his legs look basically fine, I really like the bumblebee eyes on the battle mask, and the way his cannon fits over his hand is just randomly cool. But overall, this one's a disappointment for me; I was hoping to like him a lot more. Happy for those who do!

• Like Like x 20
  4. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I don't buy movie figures but I like this Bumblebee's design. Looks more Transformers Prime than Bayformers, and I've always said that tfp is what the bayverse should've been. I think I'll get him or, more likely, wait for the inevitable KO. I think I'll also give him an autobot symbol on his chest and one on the right side of his hood in alt mode, homaging G1.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still want to see a comparison.

Better yet .. someone take the MP Bee, Movie MP Bee, and have them do the DBZ fusion dance. Voila, Bee movie MP.

• Like Like x 3
  6. skylight

skylight Well-Known Member

Yup. They have officially cheaped out on the engineering, and it\'s a real bummer too. It\'s got some good ideas, but that damn kibble just... ughhh. Here\'s what I\'d do differently: 
    A) Make the hood the chest.
    B) Put the doors and wheels on the same mechanism, so they\'d have a better placement.
    C) Make the doors collapse in on themselves to appear smaller
    D) Have the windows fold in.
    E) Make the rear fenders part of the thighs. 
    F) Make the eyes on the mask dark blue plastic
    G) Put a wash on the paintjob instead of the fade that they\'ve got going on (though it is nice.)
    H) Give him extra faces. He has more than one expression.
    I) This one is a bit of a stretch, I\'ll admit. :/ A tab-in beehive.

• Like Like x 3
  7. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon spy

Ebay:
    I don't know man, looks mostly spot on chest wise..... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  9. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Meh

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe the problem is that the middle panel should still be rounded, whereas it's straight and flat on the figure, so the headlight panels stick out too much.

• Like Like x 2
  11. octobotimus

Ebay:
    most likely.
    the problem with that is the hood has the logo, and even in the movie the chest has no logo, so that would have been an issue... (most likely VW not letting the logo be there)

12. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Yeah, that back kibble is pretty unfortunate... only a meh for me right now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 お前はもう死んでいる

Granted, it's not super accurate. But I'm okay with that, honestly. It looks really cool for what it is. I'll probably wait to see how LegendaryToys handles it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime *sigh* STILL waiting for MPM Ratchet

Instagram:
  15. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Oof

News Credits:
    The center chest piece is very flat when it should be very curvy. That one detail would help this figure quite a bit I think. It's round in the movie, which gives him a much rounder look and helps his chest look like one solid piece. With it flat like this figure and the ss figure, it breaks up the chest making it look more gappy and haphazard like previous movie designs. Besides the chest, the shins are a bit inaccurate beneath the knee caps, and his head is too small and the proportions of his face are a bit off.

Those are all fairly small details, but they add up into a figure thats not nearly as accurate as I was hoping for, and they all would have been fairly simple fixes if they had just waited a year or so and hadn't based the figure off of concept art.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ravage101

Ravage101 Well-Known Member

Not hating on this, but I find it disappointing that for an $80 Master Piece figure, the equipment accessory storage in vehicle mode is pretty damn lame compared to the deluxe movie series version you can get $20.

• Like Like x 2
  17. octobotimus

Ebay:
    well that deluxe had less robot crammed in the vehicle than this appears to have. i mean its the same thing that they did with optimus.... that guy didn't exactly have wonderful weapon storage.... neither does ironhide... tbh most of the mpm's don't have good storage...

18. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Looks way too much like an upscaled deluxe, and not at all like the CGI, which really defeats the purpose of being an MPM. Easy pass until they design one based on the final CG.

• Like Like x 4
  19. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cripes - that's really nice...

• Like Like x 1
  20. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think for most people we will have to see what he looks like maybe in better photo's,lighting,etc but for me I think he looks better in the stopmotion and I like the figure already also by the way that stopmotion was great man.

• Like Like x 3