Bumblebee mini-series #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Andersonh1, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Issue 1
    Following the very unlikely event of Bumblebee being elected leader of the Autobots after Prime leaves, we get this mini-series exploring the idea in more depth. And it gets a lot right with regard to what would happen to the little guy if he were ever placed in that situation.

I’m not the world’s biggest Bumblebee fan. I don’t dislike the character by any means, but he’s far from my favorite. His prominence in Transformers fiction is hardly warranted. Far more interesting characters get much less page time, and that’s a shame. That being said, I had initially intended to skip this mini-series, but the premise of putting Bumblebee in command of the Autobots has actually captured my interest. And so far, it’s going about as I expected.

Bumblebee is a quiet, mild-mannered character. He doesn’t throw his weight around, and he’s not one to talk over others or insist on his own way. In other words, he’s not a dominant personality. Considering how many Autobots are, that puts him at a disadvantage right off the bat. He’s not commanding the respect he needs to lead, and others pretty much do what they want behind his back. And to be very blunt, Bumblebee is more than a little naïve.

Does anyone with an ounce of sense think that the Colonel is playing it straight with Bumblebee and the other Autobots? He’s clearly using the little guy to do his dirty work. If Frenzy is any indication, something isn’t quite right with the Decepticons that Skywatch is sending the Autobots after, and red flags ought to be going up in BB’s mind. And at the end when the Colonel puts Cliffjumper into stasis (temporarily of course….) and then sends Bumblebee after Blurr, even the most dense of readers should be clear that this situation is leading up to the most basic of double-cross outcomes. Skywatch will use Bumblebee and the Autobots, and then capture them in turn once their usefulness is done.

And all I have to say is, Starscream was pretty careless when he evacuated. How many Decepticons did he leave behind anyway? And would Soundwave really leave Frenzy behind?

I'm not a fan of the art style. I'm not saying it's bad, because it's good at telling the story clearly and the characters are all recognizable. It just doesn't appeal to me. But I appreciate the variety in art styles between this book and the ongoing.

Anyway, Bumblebee’s being played here, and at least one of the Autobots ought to have figured that out by now. A decent setup issue, and I liked it, but I’d better see the Autobots display some intelligence soon.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Pretty much sounds exactly like how he was portrayed when he commanded during the DW run. Meh.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's right. This isn't an original plot point. At least then he was only commanding a crew of minibots aboard Galaxy Shuttle.

The art is a welcome relief.

4. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Ha. That was actually quite fun.

Not at all what I was expecting, given the substandard Bumblebee story of AHM:Coda. In fact, it was so different, I am almost skeptical about whether the same person wrote both.

It begins with a very cheesy scene of the Autobots "clanking" their glasses together and tipping their hats to newly elected Bumblebee, sounding off with their "hurrah"s and such. Cheeeeese. Thereafter though, it was excellent.

Despite the predictability of the story, I think it was handled very well. It was wordy in a good way, and the dialogue was head and shoulders above the sampling of Cannon from Coda.

The art was absolutely beautiful, some of the best IDW has given us yet. Very Senior-like with a sort of E.J.-painted twist.

Nice focus on a short cast of characters who have on full display just how naive they are in the leadership department with Prime, Ironhide, Hot Rod, and Prowl out of the way. Actually thought this was the most charming aspect of the story.

A solid "A-" from both Cannon and Chee.

Good to see IDW seems to have righted the ship, as I have found both this and the ongoing to be very good. With LSOTW on the way, things are looking good, indeed.

5. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I'm not a fan of the art either, but I'm slowly warming up to Chee's style and welcome the change of pace. I think it's good to have different artists shaking things up.

The story actually somewhat felt like it was written by Costa, and that's just a positive testament to Zander Cannon's ability to continue the story and keep a proper tone. I like the reasons given for making Bumblebee leader, and I'm liking his reluctance to take leadership. No movie 'bee influences here. The story gives us a deeper look at the situation from BB's perspective while establishing that Skywarp is up to some dirty tricks. While I agree the Autobots are being naive, we've gotta remember who was left behind-- the Ratchets, the Hounds, and the Bumblebees. The edgy, and perhaps more skeptical Autobots, have left with Hot Rod.

I knew those badges were no good, and I wish Wheeljack had run some diagnostics on them, but that's what it is.

Characters have distinct voices which is good, and I loved the opening few scenes with Wheeljack, Ratchet, and BB. Quality banter. My only complaint here was Omega Supreme: "So Bumblebee is this over yet? Because I really need to get out of here." Something more along the lines of "Space limited. Pistons tightening. Permission to transform" would've been more Omega-like.

Also, did anyone get a nice G1 MTMTE tingle with Hound overlooking the enemy from a cliff in the desert?

I think it's awesome to have the ongoing with a concurrent mini-series directly complementing it. For the next 6 months, we're essentially getting a year's worth of story if the ongoing continues to focus on earth.

All around, I'm liking IDW's decision-making process.

6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I thought it was quite good-- aside from the AHM issue with Kup & Perceptor, the best IDW-verse story we've had this year, IMO.

The mystery wasn't IF the military was going to screw over the Autobots, it was HOW. Plus the rationale for Bumblebee going through with it was fairly solid-- given that they'd be found soon and taken in, what did they have to lose? (At least he had reason to think that at the beginning...)

7. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I liked it.
    The art and story telling were top notch.

I just didn't like the macguffin, that human technology badge that Wheeljack never looked at. The naivety of Bee overshadowed his willingness to be proactive and collaborative, which I guess is the point.

In the end I'm happy with it and look forward to the next issue!

8. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Enjoyed this issue quite a bit. Like others I'm starting to warm up to Chee's style of art, and Zander Cannon seems to be a good writer. Glad I picked this issue up.

9. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I like this issue quite a bit. I think we all see something is clearly not right here with those badges but I'm sure no one (the readers anyway)really thought they were a good idea to begin with. I kind of see this as classics G1 BB with the good heart and intentions but the sort of not so great decision making then having to bumble through his mistakes. He's got too much trust and blind faith guiding him.

On another note, it seems the autobots are just left with scraps to choose from for leaders anyhow. I'd say Hound was the only one I saw that is anywhere near leadership status. Didn't see Jazz. No that I think of it there weren't many bots left that would even question putting those stupid badges on. Ratchet probably went around telling all the 'bots to trust and respect B so they didn't wanna question the badges

Lastly - What color was Frenzy? Looked black to me. Is Frenzy the black/red one in IDW continuity?

10. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Frenzy was blue(grumble), just a very dark shade of blue.

11. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I think they made it either 'dark blue' or light black to keep it ambigious to be honest. I'm not buying the dark blue though, sorry :D 

12. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed this issue and look forward to the next.

I think everyone expected that Bumblebee would end up making some foolish decisions to begin with and by the end of the mini-series he will have redeemed himself.

Sets up the next issue nicely.

Frenzy is definitely coloured blue in this issue. It's not even a particularly dark shade of blue either.

13. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I thought rumble was blue?

=)

14. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was an interesting read. Nothing we have never seen before. The art is interesting, but just pales in comparison to what Don is doing on the Ongoing. Check out my full review at : http://tfzonethetransformersblog.blogspot.com

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I loved the gory blue Frenzy after dealing with the cow! Now Frenzy is blue AND red, forever solving that problem!

And lol @ the massive fan wank in the beginning with Wheeljack standing near Bumblebee holding the same energy rods he had in the first scene of MTMTE.

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i just read this issue finally, i really dug it alot... the story is a little predictable, but still its fun... BB seems very uncomfortable with his position, which makes sense... his alliance with the government works and seems like a good idea, but we all know that's not the case... can't wait to see where this goes... and love how the writing seems very much like a part of the main series... that's fantastic...

and i really love the art... its very much painted cool style, akin to Alex Ross... can't wait to see the rest of this...