BUMBLEBEE in SFX magazine

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TransformersVK, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I've never been given that advice in any of my art classes. Over-detailing things is generally frowned upon. I'd be curious to know where they're getting that advice from. It might not be school advice as much as it might just be artists following general trends in other movies. Slowly but surely the over-detailed look seems to be fading out, which I'm happy about. For a while everything kind of had that look.

From what I understand, it's not illegal for an 18 year-old to date a 16 year-old. The Romeo and Juliet law was a thing because Shane and Tessa were 'doing more', if you get my meaning. It's creepy if there's a bigger age difference between the adult and the teenager they're dating, but I don't think this relationship will come across as creepy. Since Charlie is just turning 18, there's probably only about a year difference between them. The new Spider-Man (who's 15) tried to date a senior who was probably 18, and no one found that creepy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

Seriously, there's nothing strange about seniors dating younger high schoolers. The only reason it came off so badly in Bay's film is because, well, it's Michael Bay, and he literally put it in there just so he could have a tasteless sex joke. I guarantee you there are going to be no jokes like that in this new film. In fact, I doubt it have any sexual content other than light romance between Charlie and her friend. Because this film is actually being aimed at kids, for the first time in the live-action franchise's history. We are finally free from robo wrecking balls and gratuitous sexualization of the female leads, hopefully forever.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I know, its just that the user incorrectly stated that Charlie was 16. Regardless, its really no big deal. Same thing with Tessa and Shane really, its a 3 year gap and they started dating while both were still in high school.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i agree pm because i got some questions answered from optimus_prowl regarding the cursing and the sex jokes

5. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Hey, I'm kind of curious about that too. If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me too? No spoilers though please!

6. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still think they could’ve designed the robots better. I like the early IDW Ongoing designs. They still have a realistic look to them while still much more recognizable to older fans. 122E8819-B1D5-4832-8946-2EC9B5535928.jpeg

7. snokoan

News Credits:
    wont let me message you

8. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I'll have to check my settings later.

9. mnabiyein

mnabiyein Autobots Nabiyein

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Starscream?

10. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    That's something I never understood either. Animators and more arts intertwined education that's more design rich doesn't teach that over detailed side. But for some reason the live action concept design side is always over cumbersome with it. Yet actual tech designs of the real world, simplicity is key. Where live action effects and concept artists are getting this doesn't really make sense. Product design doesn't have it, and animation dives head first into how things are over-designed and why that's bad, so why isn't live effects concept art more balanced? It's the odd one out of the fields.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still not sold on his casting choices, but I always love reading the guy's enthusiasm. Once again; I wish we had even an ounce of this passion & glee from a certain someone else...

12. snokoan

News Credits:
    I wouldn't suspect you to know the difference ;) 

13. Goldbolt

Goldbolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee needing extra detail to be expressive must have came from working with Bay's design aesthetic. I can't find a reference but when the 2007 movie came out I remember Bay talking about how he hated that the robots in the cartoon had body parts that bent and moved like human skin. Essentially since they were metal any part that needed to move independently had to be a separate part completely. Pull up the forest battle from RotF and watch Prime spit out his tooth after he gets thrown. That motion has dozens of little pieces move when he does that... instead of like just his jaw moving and skin stretching like a human face.

Looking for a quote on that made me find this lovely video from 2007. It's an amusing contrast to what Knight is saying in this interview. Jump ahead to the 2 minute point.

14. Pepperonimus

Pepperonimus Casual Fan

News Credits:
    "We also had a great GoBot gag that alas didn't make the final cut."

Bummer!

• Like Like x 2
  15. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man that bit from 2 min onwards is something else...

First because Bay pretty much insisted he do what he wanted to do, emphasizing that doing "what the fans wanted" would be "lame." Second because well... people sending death threats over this shit... Course, in this day and age, the web's only gotten more toxic, hasn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Bay had a point though. Folding metal with no hinges and liquid metal like face movements was weird. That's stuff that did need to be changed, and even the new movie has those aspects changed for realism. If you pay attention to the toons, many of them have 'organic' metal approaches where it moves almost like fabric and breathes and bends with what should otherwise be solid sheets or solid folds. It should be rigid where it should be rigid, instead it acts more like skin. Beast Wars and G1 have a ton of this, as does Gobots and many others. That kind of stuff would look weird in live action, and with CG effects would look like "clipping" or graphics errors/amateur hour. Even Japan's live adaptations concede this point and correct for that in designs.

What we're talking about is more how all design in different movies(not only transformers) shares this over-complicated aspect as if "over detailing it" makes it more realistic and intricate, when really it makes it more distracting. Which is especially pronounced in tech designs across a lot of properties.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just find it highly ironic that despite being simpler, MPM-7 is far more complicated and less screen accurate than MPM-3...

18. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    I think you misunderstand.
    What you pointed out was just a style of digital drawing, not of the design itself. I can easily use the same techniques in those images you referenced to make this version of Bumblebee, or any other simple design. It's just a stylistic technique.

19. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    What if Blitzwing IS Starscream?
    As in, he changes his name to Starscream somehow?

20. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

You know what's better than making a movie about Transformers and then making the Transformers not look like the source material?

Finding a way to make the source material work. You don't need a million pieces to make a face move. Simple shapes and angles can create more understandable expressions and emotion than 50 bazillion parts and pieces. That's how the comics have been doing it for decades now. Heck Prime doesn't even have a mouth through most of the fiction.

No, Bay did not have a point. He's an asshole.

• Like Like x 1