Bumblebee could meet same fate as TMNT: Out of The Shadows

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Remember when the trailer of TMNT Out Of The Shadows came out? People were praising the nostalgic looks of Krang, Technodrome, Rocksteady, Bepop and Shredder. But the movie underperformed. People need to remember TLK left a LOT of people, both general audience and Bayformer fans a bad taste. Just having iconic G1 isn't enough to save this franchise. I don't think it will flop, but it will meet below Paramount expectations.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TMNT was never a big film franchise to begin with though.

• Like Like x 13
  3. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But you need to remember the bumblebee trailer has won fans over again

• Like Like x 2
  4. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People were praising Shredder?

If I remember, that was one of the lame elements of that movie for me.

And you're right, iconic G1 is not enough. What's enough is that it has a soul and it has its heart from the storytelling also.

Also the last few words are kinda strange.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mirage00

Mirage00 Master of Hiding

The differnece is the TMNT movies took a more comedic approach with the films and a less serious tone while what the Bumblebee movie is showing, is yes a more family bonded Transformers film but it still seems to keep the seriousness tone, that of course The Transformers are at war and things need to be done and if death is an option then that option will be taken. I think TMNT movies in general have always had a less serious tone to them and when you try and do to much like bring the big space ball orb or whatever into the mix, I think that only translates in cartoon and not so well into live action. With Transformers you can get away with more stuff like that because it's a bit more believable, the Transformers are advanced inteligent machinery from another planet that have a raging war going on and are coming to planet earth for what ever reason it may be, while TMNT is a story about 4 turtles and a rat who got mutated by an ooze and a samurai master wants to kill him and is working along side a bunch of weird mutants and freaks, you can't get too far with a story like that in live action. Transformers survied 5 films and with how bad they were, people kept coming back hoping they would be good. Transformers has the potential to be something really great as long as it is executed corectly and if Paramount and Travis knight play their cards right hopefully we will see that with Bumblebee.

6. Pepperonimus

Pepperonimus Rest in Peace, Stan Lee

News Credits:
    Exactly, this movie has more heart than all of previous movies combined.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Iconic G1 was never going to save the franchise in the first place. Why do people believe this? All it does is pleases the hardcore "Transformers should be nothing but G1" crowd, and that's not nearly enough people to make a movie a financial success.

• Like Like x 4
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I feel like that's debatable. I agree that there aren't enough hardcore fans to bring a profit, but there is a whole generation of people who grew up in the '80s, many of which might be drawn to the movie because of the classic designs. I wouldn't underestimate the power of nostalgia. Think of it this way: there probably aren't enough Sony Walkman enthusiasts to make Guardians of the Galaxy a hit. But a lot of people owned a Walkman in the '80s, and the movie connected with them became of that. The same thing could happen here. I bet a lot of middle-aged people will show up because "I owned a VW Bumblebee as a kid", or because "that Soundwave in the trailer looked like the toy I used to have". And they'll bring their wives and kids with them to the theater.

• Like Like x 5
  9. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

Why are people getting so hung up on financial performance? If it does well great, if it under performs oh well, it’s not like you’ve lost anything, you’ll still be waiting until 2021/22 at least for a proper big budget movie either way.

10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    This is true, but if by 'this franchise' you mean the movies that have been releasing for the past ten years, they are too late to save unless they pull something like the X-Men film series. Unfortunately even if the Bee movie is better than the movies we've gotten before, it may still suffer due to the stigma associated with the films at this point.

11. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    It was enough to make the franchise in the first place, and get it to the point the movies were made, and keep it going now they’ve imploded.

The problem how I see it, is that there’s people in powerful places (or at least were) that felt it was opposite that was needed to keep the franchise going.

12. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Because the future of this cinematic franchise depends on this movie

• Like Like x 1
  13. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

Let’s not be that dramatic shall we?

The amount of time you’ll wait for a reboot depends on this movie. And even if the movie is a success you’ll be waiting awhile for a full blown Transformers flick, as it’s not budgeted, or marketed to make as much as TLK, never mind the earlier films.

That’s not to say there’s no chance it won’t make more, but it’s certainly not being positioned to.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea I can see some things that are the same with both films that could mean trouble for Bumblebee at the box office.

The old leadership thinking gee the last movie did okay at the box office so no need for any big change. It hit Turtles, it hit Star Trek, keep it the same hasn't really worked out well for Paramount recently but the old leadership still kept going to same well.

While Out of the Shadows did add in fan favorites they still didn't address issues from the first film like the appearance of the Turtles. I kind of feel like Paramount is making the same mistake with Bumblebee because while there is all the nostalgia from the scenes on Cybertron the bulk of the film still has that Bayformers look. Going to be hard to convince people it's not a Bay film when the robots look like the Bay robots. Anyone that thinks people will not think the Bay can stick to something just look at how many people think Bay was the director on the Turtles movies.

Trailers can't really sell a movie if you did something last movie to turn people off. Out of the Shadows did have some really good trailers but people were left thinking the trailer looks nice but Megan Fox still can't act so ha you aren't going to fool me twice. The Bumblebee trailers look nice but will it be enough to wipe out the memory of The Last Knight when that movie wasn't that long ago? It's not like Batman where the studio let Batman build back up off the big screen before relaunching movie Batman with a very different look to say this ain't the stuff you didn't like last time. Not sure if Bumblebee is really selling that this time is different outside of the people who were going to watch Bumblebee no matter what it was like.

Just going to toss in if people go with a wait and see with the Tomato Meter that could hurt because there are just too many films being released in that time frame. Headlines aren't going to be Bumblebee eventually ekes out a profit but that the age of movie Transformers has fallen because other films beat it opening weekend. Out of the Shadows had a world wide box office of $245 million from a budget of $135 million but beating the budget at the box office wasn't enough to save the Turtles film franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea but tmnt wasnt a big franchise tho bumblebee is a whole different thing

16. Mglaighton120

Mglaighton120 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    TMNT didnt have Hailee Steinfeld or Travis Knight

• Like Like x 1
  17. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The TMNT had a problem since the start by being bulky and stuff which diminishes their worth as ninjas. That's the problem.

Transformers clearly while looking drastically different , they had the notion of 'robots in disguise' going on and the first time you see them in live action was really a holy moley sort of thing that lasted 5 movies. And while they clearly upped the nostalgia dial for this one, I think it's important to have some form of appeal to people who liked the other movies also. I'd still be into the movie if Bumblebee had a regular mouth and stuff but it wouldn't have the same appeal it has on some people compared to me.

Plus it's clear it's not Bay's robots because people for one say they can tell the robots apart when they are in action and such. So that right there should be informative that Bay is not directing.

Also who's a Megan Fox in this movie? John Cena? I mean he's stepping up. By the way I think the mentality of Megan Fox being a bad actress is so old at this point. I actually re-watched Jennifer's Body and I found her really enjoyable. Just like how it's unfair to say Hayden Christensen is a bad actor when we know directors have an influence on their performance.

Also the Batman comparison doesn't work when you factor guys like Spider-Man and how long it takes to reintroduce a character like him from those ASM films to now. Batman Begins by the way didn't smash the box office. It was the Dark Knight. Plus isn't Batman overrated like Bumblebee?;) 

I'm not saying this movie does not have a chance in flopping but I think it's worth looking at both sides for what they are and put aside any form of bias you may have.

Speaking of which 'rotten' movies can still profit. E.g. Venom

18. Terrellatron

Terrellatron LEADER OF THE TERRELLCONS

News Credits:
    TMNT has never hit 1 billion dollars tho

19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    It could, as a film that deliberately copies the 80s cartoon design/tone to appeal to the major fanbase.

But TF, an alien robot saga, is more accessible and adaptable than TMNT, a melting pot of talking animals, ninjas and aliens.

Additionally, it's coming after five films of a series that was getting overly cynical, and so a refreshing dose of optimistic adventure could work out. TMNT2's change of tone from the first film, while I found it enjoyable, wasn't really a major improvement.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Rotten movies can make money because Suicide Squad was a dumpster fire and somehow that thing managed to make money.

But Bumblebee has the duel problem of having to convince people that it's not like the other films in the series and it's release window is way over crowded. If Paramount has faith that the film will receive good reviews they might want to get the reviews out well ahead of the release. Kind of feels like Bumblebee is going to need every advantage it can get to have any sort of shot at taking the #1 spot opening weekend.

• Like Like x 1