Bumblebee Costume - 2009 Camaro

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by D_Fool, May 3, 2009.

1. D_Fool

D_Fool Well-Known Member

Hey guys, don't frequent these forums as much as I used to but I thought everyone might enjoy this project I'm currently working on. It's a transforming bumblebee costume I've been working on for the last little bit.

I started working on this to wear to the movie premier at the end of June. I built a transforming Optimus costume for the previous movie premier and had a blast taking pictures with everyone and just wandering around the mall which the movie theater was at.

I modelled the car myself based upon the toy from the first live action movie. All the parts are seperate pieces though I've glued them all together for stability and to make sure everything fits together after the resining process.

I haven't finished modelling the robot pieces so that's my goal for this month, to get all of the robot modelled and built so I can spend the majority of June painting and working out all the kinks in the transformation process so that it's all ready to wear for the movie premier.

I'm currently trying to get in a bunch of cardboard supports to help keep the shape a bit better, aiming to get that finished up tonight.

Attached Files:

2. _Invictus_

_Invictus_ Member

That looks really good. I'm going to start work on an Animated Bumblebee costume soon for my 4yr old son. I'd appreciate any tips. I'm a rookie at this and my son wants one really bad after showing him videos on youtube of other children transforming.

3. D_Fool

D_Fool Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to start off simple. Figure out the best way to get a decent transformation that achieves a look that's similar to the characters vehicle and robot modes.

From there just build up simple shapes kind of blocking in the basic parts of the vehicle mode. Then when you have something that semi works you can start adding in more details. Once you have the vehicle mode you can start to link together robot parts that fit underneath the vehicle parts.

The method I've used for this latest costume was to actually model all the parts on the computer. It was nice because it gave me the ability to see exactly how everything would fit together and build it exactly to my measurements.