Bumblebee Camaro vs Bug

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by fabexmax, Dec 1, 2010.

1. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So now that Bee has been in 2 live action movies, countless toys, and now TF Prime as a Camaro. So does this mean that our OG "love bug" will no longer be... well a bug. I know that VW has their whole no war toys ban going on, but Classics did a pretty good homage with making Bumblebee a small compact car. I understand that in the movies, bigger and faster is better, but I feel something is lost with a fast, sleek, sexy Camaro being named Bumblebee. Just doesn't fit in my opinion. What do you guys think. As I finish typing this, I'm sure that this has been brought up at least 5 times, but I hope we can discuss it once more (until someone else brings it up later ;)  )

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I say the Suzuki Swift Sport works very well.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I prefer Bumblebee as a compact car, like in animated and classics, but he doesn't necessarily have to be a WV.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    As long as the Michael Bay movies are the dominant form of Transformers media, Bumblebee is going to be a muscle car. We'll have to wait and see what happens in a few years once the movies are over.

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Camaro

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Well, there's already been plenty of sportscar and musclecar autobots over the years. Not so many small cars.

For the sake of variety, I say he should stay something small.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto.

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I'd prefer the Camaro style cars for him.

9. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always liked the idea of him being a small car\bot who tried to not let his size and lack of strength get him down but did often get him into trouble.

The mighty mute of new doesn't really have much in common with his old namesake come to think of it :) 

10. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    The nostalgia buff inside of me has a soft spot for the VW but I have to say the Camaro is one nice ride. If I could choose I would like the G1 toon robot form with the Camaro alternate mode.

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I don't like the generic animated & classics 1.0 car style for bumblebee.

If bumblebee can't be a VW anymore due to volkswagen not wanting it. then I guess a new styled camero is the best option. as it's a cool looking car.

12. fabexmax

News Credits:
    I think this is a good counter to that. I mean, he doesn't have to be a VW IMO, just SMALL. I mean he's Bumblebee. LOL, not only his he small but this dude rolls with people named Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Omega Supreme, and Ironhide... then Bumblebee Even his name is small and not to be feared upon first glance! LOL! I always loved that although he was the smallest, he had the most heart. He truly is more than meets the eye. Camaro alt mold = Goldbug!

13. AMG

AMG Old School

I agree with this.

14. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

VW or similar compact. the Camaro is nice, but it's almost too aggressive a design for Bumblebee.. I say almost because I've come to accept BB as the Camaro.. I can't see that car without thinking of him.

15. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Make him this.
    [​IMG]

upgrade into
    [​IMG]

a cute hybrid of "muscle car hoodchest" and "little kid bumper feet".

:D 

16. fabexmax

News Credits:
    GASP! Heavens no!

17. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Nostalgia dictates VW, but I liked the way he looked in TF Animated. I'll grant the Camaro is cool -- I even liked the vintage one in the first movie, but it just doesn't fit with what I have always associated with The 'Bee.

I wish Hasbro had made a Beast Wars toy of an actual bumblebee that transformed into Bumblebee.

Can anyone direct me to a custom some fan did for this? Surely someone else has thought of that and actually made one -- something that maybe looks a little like this:

[​IMG]

18. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Ach. My eyes. The goggles do nussink.

Thanks for the furry nightmare.

On topic: Yes, Bumblebee is the small but brave (or mouthy) Autobot, not that far a throw from Piglet (from Winnie The Pooh), in G1 cartoons and comics and updated, for good or ill, by Classics and TFA.

He's a great character as a tonic to Optimus, Ironhide, Megatron, etc.
    (Which is also why Starscream, Mirage, Trailbreaker, Thundercracker and others work well and are one of the reasons that TFs have endured.)

The Camaro is just too flash and the robot model too big to ever be a Bumblebee that I like. The doleful facial moves and the muteness work, though.

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Bumblebee should not be cool though. It goes against who Bumblebee is.

20. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I like both versions but since this topic is about choosing one style over another, I tend to prefer Bumblebee as a smaller, compact car. As others have said, he tends to stand out in a large cast amongst other characters who are bigger, stronger cars particularly since he's the brave, little bot. As a kid, I tended to relate better with the smaller Bumblebee in the G1 cartoon since I was smaller than just about every kid I knew (boy and girl) growing up. I love his Classics look and how he's been portrayed in the IDW comics based on what I read.

While Animated kept with the brave, little bot theme -- his personality was so obnoxious that I was hoping he'd get slagged permanently. I was really disappointed when the accident with Sari didn't do the job.

The Camaro version is more impressive, independent, and definitely an ass-kicker now that he's one of the bigger robots in size and firepower compared to Arcee, the other lady bots, Wheelie, and the Twins. I like him more as the big guy who was your friend but could take on (or out) the bullies -- the gentle giant, but mute.