Bumblebee as a Beetle

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, May 24, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Were there any concept designs of Bumblebee as a Beetle?

The alt-mode COULD have worked, despite MBay’s claims of the Beetle not being hardcore enough. Bee would probably be like the design for Skids/Mudflap, but rounder and cuter.

2. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    VW wouldn't even let them use the Beetle for the Alternator series, no way they would have allowed it for the movies either.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Plus even if they had, we'd get kidlets whining about how Transformers copied the Lindsey Lohan movie...

Actually, that'd be pretty funny.

4. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They homaged the beetle in the first movie when sam buys bb I dont think it would work thay just made him look older why would they make him young cute and cuddly?

5. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    Does it matter? We have what we have.
    Why does everyone want everything to be like G1?

6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Couse then for the 2nd movie he could've been a kick ass dune buggy or something, in which case I'd probably have 10 of em in my house right now couse those & Beetles in general are awesome as fuzz.

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Even if VW allowed it, I doubt Bay would've felt it was "appropriate" for his main robot star. Nor would *cough* the automobile companies supplying the cars...

Gotta love how they snuck in a yellow Beetle, though:
    [​IMG]

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, and I liked that too. :) 

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    It could've worked, but they decided not to. Goes back to the Optimus as an extended cab, Ironhide is massive pickup truck, etc. arguments that have been around since 2006. Plus, wasn't the whole issue surrounding it mostly due to VW not wanting their vehicles associated with a violent robot vs. robot movie or something?

As others have said, we got what we got. I'm a big fan of the Camaro and I think it works well with Bayformers. They managed to sneak in that sweet scene of 'old and new' in Transformers, which was a great wink and nod.

Now, future versions of 'Bee? I'm all for the more cutesy, round-ish design. :) 

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember one of the reasons was that they didn't want him to be like Herbie.

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    because Bumblebee was in the film to appeal to the younger audience in a similar way that the Twins were introduced to appeal to the type of people they represent along with Wheelie and Brains introduced for 'comedy' and Jetfire manipulated into representing the idea of a 'cranky old guy'

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Jetfire was like, the best thing about ROTF.

13. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

OP, youd said many times before that you are a huge movie fan and like to discuss the movies, but your recent threads to me show otherwise. you're not discussing the movies, you're stating what you wish the movies had, which make me feel you are not that happy with them, at least subconsciently, otherwise you would be happy with what you have. not trying to bash you, just stating my opinion :) 

on the subject at hand, i think bay stated somewhere something like "there was no way i'd have bb as a bug" couse he wanted the movie bots to look edgy and modern, and also ppl would be reminded of the herbie movies. i think de idea of bee as a bug was discarded from the get go

14. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I don't think it was stated anywhere that the intention of The Twins was to appeal to the apparent group of people that they may represent; I believe their inclusion was just like 'Bee: kid-appeal characters, two goofy brothers who scuffled with each other that would make the kids laugh.

15. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I prefer the Camaro version of Bumblebee. It's just way cooler. I also liked the Easter egg with the VW next Bumblebee in the car lot.

16. ThunderbeePrime

ThunderbeePrime Loved Botcon 2012

I say he's better off as a Camaro. I mean, not everything Transformers has to be almost like G1. We have to have something new every once in a while.
    Unless it was a canary yellow 2008 Volkswagen Beetle with two black racing stripes. Then I wouldn't mind him being a Beetle.

17. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everything doesn't have to be G1, it's that the movie sucked so much it could pull a golf ball though a garden hose, so anything would be an improvement.

18. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    As much as people may say that Bayformers blew chunks (which believe me, at times, it certainly did), making things "more G1" or even "less G1" would not automatically make it better. :rolleyes:  Would 'Bee being a VW bug have suddenly made the movies that much more tolerable? Not really. Would having Sam or someone be nicknamed "Spike" suddenly boost the Tomatometer score up 35%? No. Throwing in more G1 is not the solution. Making a better film is the solution. ;) 

19. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    people so tied to G1 just make me laugh, i'm sorry...

20. PowerEncarnate

PowerEncarnate Mad Inventer

News Credits:
    my question is why do we have to reinvent the wheel?...rebooting a series or movie line is an excuse to give use the same crap over and over instead of giving us something new...why do the new designs have to be for existing characters and not brand new characters? every year we get 15000 versions of bb and prime and they end up shelf warming...but they would sell about as well, IMO, if they gave them new names and bios as all new characters rather then just being another version of an existing guy that most of us have in spades already...i have no desire for every version if a character i don't care what the new gimmick is...would only get it if i had a way to make it into someone i don't already have...