Bumblebee and Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Atlas42, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

That line "goodbye, my old friend" didn't make sense. Wheeljack was barely a character and they never established a relationship with Bumblebee before his death. I've heard that it was a reference to the first episode of G1, but I think it was just bad writing.

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    He may of been talking to Sam. Simple.

3. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    They could have been best buddies off screen?

I think when he said "We had a good run", he was talking to Sam. "Good bye, my old friend." was definitely directed towards Que/Wheeljack.

4. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    this

5. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    They probably developed a good friendship between ROTF and DOTM, I'm sure the new wave of Autobot's (Que,Dino etc.) had been there for at least a year.

6. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Yes, because these aren't centuries old robots who have lives outside of the films' events. Nothing occurs outside of what's shown on-screen. It's impossible that Bumblebee even knows who Sideswipe is since the two never talked to eachother. Hell, no one knows Sideswipe except Lennox and Ironhide. Optimus isn't even aware of any Autobots outside of the first movie guys. Just a group of strangers living with him. The fact that Que turned to Bee specifically and said "Bee, I think they're going to kill us!" was just Que noticing for the first time a little yellow mechanical being and called him Bee because of his colors and wanted to express his thoughts to this stranger.

Cough sarcasm.

7. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

we have a winner!

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Can't it be both?

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Obviously to Sam/ No way in hell he would care about Que.

Autobots don't care about the other lesser important Autobots.

10. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

:lolol 

11. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

gee, that's fine and dandy . but it would be nice to fill in the blanks within the movie itself. and common audiences would barely notice wheeljack.

12. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I apologize for the snark. But there is quite a bit the movies could improve on (like the disappearing robots and many loose plots such as who's dead and who's not). Even the tie-in material (such as the comics) have a hard time piecing it together, so we have to assume many things.

13. labiblioteca

labiblioteca Active Member

maybe he felt bad seeing his fellow autobots cruelly being killed, and knew that he would be killed too. ironhide was an exception, since he had time to evade. but in this situation, they were held hostage. they were being monitored. so maybe he felt this is the end

14. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Yep. No need for any further discussion!

15. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

I think it was implied that BB and Jacky had known each other well before DOTM.

16. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Funny how it's always the hard-core TF fans worrying about what the "common" audience needs to see/know! :lol 

btw, I don't mean this towards you personally, but I see these kind of comments a lot and they slay me! Then we'll bitch about them not making the film for the fans... love our fandom :) 

17. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

The audience barely noticed WheeljaQ, but having BB not notice him actually makes things worse, because BB having no reaction to his death makes him even more meaningless, having BB express sadness over his death makes people think about that character and remember him [even if it is as "the guy who BB mourned"].

18. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

Overlord Balder - yeah that was the real and only point to Bee expressing sadness and implying that Wheeljack was his good buddy. It added drama and sadness and tension and emotion to the moment which is what they were going for. It was a plot device, pure and simple.

The "good buddy to main character of the action movie getting killed" plot device is incredibly common and works very well to evoke emotion in the audience, that's why they do it. In Top Gun, Goose had to die to make the movie more dramatic for Maverick. Jeff Daniels had to die as Keanu Reeves' cop buddy in "Speed" for the same reason. Apollo Creed had to bite the big one to make the fourth sequel more dramatic for Rocky. In this case the movie makers used the very same formula but just lazily tacked on the implied friendship after the fact to at least throw in a dash of drama and emotion where there otherwise might have been none.

For that matter I think the decision to kill kindly old man Wheeljack/Que rather than action star tough guy Mirage/Dino like in the novels, and the decision to have him beg for his life, was also just to play up the drama and create emotional responses from the audience that really had no right to be there given what they'd seen in the movie up until then.