Bulkhead: Voyager or Leader?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Monte Williams, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Monte Williams

Monte Williams Deconstructicon

Hi Everyone,

All things being equal, which Bulkhead is a better toy: Voyager or Leader?

Thing is, a buddy is sending me Voyager in a trade, but I just bought Leader 'cause Fred Meyer has Leaders for half-price.

My instinct is to open the Leader and exchange the Voyager for a Starscream, but I could instead choose to keep the Voyager and return the Leader for an Ultra Magnus. But then, someone else has agreed to get an Ultra Magnus for me in yet another trade... ugh. Toy collecting is convoluted at times. :) 

So...

Obviously I prefer the scale of the Leader version; Bulkhead's supposed to be a big boy.

But do his gimmicks get in the way, as gimmicks so often do? Articulation is very important to me, for example. Is Voyager more articulated?

Anyway, I figured I'd come to the experts before I made a decision. :) 

Thanks!

-Monte

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both toys are awesome in most aspects such as articulation, you just have to choose what you prefer:

Show-accurate design and gimmick or almost-show accurate size?

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Fellow Idahoan!

Personally I feel that the Voyager toy is a better representation of the character, but Leader Bulkhead has the size factor going for him. The only thing I don't care for on the Leader version is the hands. The sawblade gimmick and opening and closing fingers on the other hand don't necesarily get in the way per se, but they really weren't the best design choices IMO.

Both are pretty decent toys with good articulation and some amazing engineering

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think Leader figure is better because it looks more like the cartoon model, and is the 'correct' size. While the Voyager figure looks fine at first glance, if you compare the two to the cartoon model you will see it's heavily deformed.

I will admit though, the Voyager one has the sweet stumpy legs AND I think the vehicle mode is better.

I'd say keep them both, with Voyager in alt mode..but if you can only keep one, keep the Leader.

5. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Leader all the way, says I. I've posted my thoughts on this before, so in the interest of laziness I'll just quote myself:

That pretty much covers it, really. Leader Bulkhead costs twice as much, but you get what you pay for; better accuracy, better articulation, better sculpting, gimmicks, transformation, the works. The only real downsides I can think of are the unremovable missile arm panels (doesn't hamper any movement, but they sometimes look a bit untidy) and the permanent buzzsaw hand; everything else looks much better, and has a host of neat bonuses such as electronics and the Headmaster accessory. Voyager's a decent toy in isolation, but when Leader exists there's really no contest.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the voyager bulkhead's only setback is size. But i have a small shelf area so that is good for me. When i walk by leader class at walmart , i just love the fact that he had the headmaster though. So i may break down and buy him someday.

7. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I love my voyager Bulkhead, he's got the right show weapon. Never got the leader class, but seriously, what other toy will you EVER find that says "Sorry, my bad!"

8. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both, and the leader class really is more show accurate.

9. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I like more the voyager version, is even more fat.

10. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    both are good, but as u mention 'which is the better toy', im gonna say leader.. thats the one i have, and its just better.. in terms of size, bulk :D  and everythign, really.. the voyager is also cool, and is more show accurate, but its tiny.. well, small.. when u take a pic of voyager bulky and deluxe bumblebee, it just looks strange

11. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Voyager. =X

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're gonna have both anyway (even if only temporarily), why not spend a little time with both and decide for yourself which you'd rather keep?

(I like Leader better, personally)

13. Monte Williams

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in.

Well, I can exchange one of them at a store if I keep them packaged until I decide.

Wait... VOYAGER?!?!

I saw this photo in my inbox and assumed he must be Leader 'cause he towers over the others; are those the Activators, or whatever the mini-figures are called?

If not, the scale looks alright to me.

EDIT: Would anyone who has both versions of Bulkhead be willing to post a photo of both versions alongside a couple-few other figures, for scale comparison? Thanks!

EDIT II: Wow, the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of the page are embarrassing; I really need to make the time to explore this place in greater depth before posting. Sorry!

14. Monte Williams

Man, there were tons of threads like this already; really sorry, folks.

Anyhoo, it seems like some people are still asking this question, so I figured I may as well share some interesting photos from the older threads:

[​IMG]

They really are drastically different, equally kickass toys.

But Voyager's shortness is a deal-breaker for me:

[​IMG]

15. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Prime and Ratchet are activators, Prowl and Bumblebee are legends. Hope that helps. :) 

If scale is your thing as you mentioned, then leader Bulkhead fits in much better with the voyagers/deluxes. If you don't care about scale, voyager bulkhead is more accurate to the show up to this point and has the wrecking ball gimmick. I'm not a huge fan of Bulkhead so I ended up returning the voyager I had, but it was still a pretty neat toy.

16. Monte Williams

Thanks; taken together, they make quite a cool little set!

17. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Damn... Now I need Activator Ratchet and Prime... I didn't realize the scale was that close. I have both though and will most likely display both. Voyager in Alt mode, I'm thinking. I need to totally rework my Animated shelf.
    -G

18. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Monte, you ol' sonofagun!! Welcome aboard!! :thumb 

I'll just echo what everyone else has said:

Voyager has a show-accurate transformation/weapon. Leader's a better size.

If both cost you a total of $20, I wouldn't get rid of either!

19. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Damn thats a great shot.. Makes me want to get rid of my deluxe bb and prowl and opt for the legends/activators

20. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I wanna know where you got the axe for Activator Prime, Kouri!!