Bulkhead and Ironhide.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Everytime I see someone mention Ironhide here, people always compare him to Bulkhead. But what is so similar about them? Let's look at it.

Bulkhead is a massive Autobot who is very kind-hearted and conscious of his large size. He is prone to judging people, for example not wishing to help Vince because he seemed like a jerk. He is the big lug who is also a kind and caring bot who would help his friends in a heartbeat. He is kind towards most humans and will gladly protect them with his life. He uses his large size in combat and is quite powerful because of it.

Ironhide is an Autobot usually just shorter than Prime and is Optimus' right hand man and oldest friend. He has a gruff and war veteran like attitude and prefers to shoot first and ask questions later. He is the Autobot's one man wrecking machine and is incredibly lethal when working with Optimus. He protects the humans but only because that means he can blow up Decepticons. He isn't the big guy of the Autobots, he is the hardened war veteran that's still just as lethal as he was eons ago.

So I ask this: how are they so similar? They're completely different and people comparing them as very similar is ridiculous.

2. Chromia217

Chromia217 I luv Mark Hamill

I for one never compared them. The way I see them is exactly how u do. All I know is that for the show they thought about putting in Ironhide but they wanted a more kid-friendly Bot so they chose Bulkhead.

3. IceMagnus

IceMagnus I like it loud!

News Credits:
    Ironhide is more bad ass then Bulkhead IMO

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

They are both big and brutal but you are right. They aren't really that alike. I don't think there is room for him in Prime tho. The tough techie role will be filled by Wheeljack and the old friend of Optimus role is filled by Ratchet. Those are the people he should be compared to and of course, are already in the show.

5. optronix72

optronix72 Autobot

Ebay:
    I think they could still use him in prime, but yeah bulkhead and ironhide are nothing alike in the personality department, two completely different bots.

6. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    It probably didn't help that they were originally gunna call him Ironhide lol...then decided to change it since the char ended up not really being like 'Hide.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ironhide and Bulkhead fill the same heavy hitter soldier role. Personality wise, sure they're different but in an action show they fill the same role.

8. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I was gonna say that :lol 

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Do people specifically say movie Ironhide? Because Bulkhead is very similar to G1 Ironhide.

10. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

G1 Ironhide is still a very gruff and tough sort of guy and it's G1, they had to like humans pretty much.

11. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Agreed but, they are similar archetypes

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Well, Bulkhead is kinda rough and gruff. Did you not see him rip the innards out of that Vehicon in the opening of the show? He was a Wrecker at one point too.

13. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    It's not their personality that's similar, it's there function.
    For any team, you have your Medic, your Scout, your Leader, and you have your resident Tough Guy. Bulkhead and Ironhide both have filled this position in the past. So to have them both is redundant, irregardless of their personality traits.

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bulkhead not caring about Vince/Fowler because they were jerks is similar to Ironhide wanting to kill Sam's parents in the first movie because they were annoying. Also, isn't Bulkhead a war veteran as well? He's always talking about a bunch of battles he fought as a wrecker.

Of course they aren't carbon copies of each other, but they are comparable. The writers even said Bulkhead was originally going to be Ironhide but they found that Bulkhead would fit better.

15. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I was basically going to say something along these lines.

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    They both have similer traits but Bulkhead's more sensitive and carering while Ironhide's more gruff and violent.

So I can see why they went with Bulkhead instead because the role for him fits better.

However while I don't mind Ironhide being in the show I'd rather see Grimlcok take the place of the muscle group if Bulkhead does die and geimlock not being leader of the Dinobots anymore.

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    They would play similar enough roles that I wouldn't want Ironhide to become a permanent addition to the team, but at the same time I want him to show up eventually. As for personality, we don't really know how Ironhide would be portrayed in Prime yet. We can glean certain things from WFC, but not really enough to get a feeling for how he would interact with the already existing characters in the show. His in-show personality could be different enough that I could, theoretically, get past the two of them being similar tough guy robots.

Either way I'm just glad that he's got a toy on the way, even if he isn't fore sure going to appear in the show, yet.

18. Skywarp2413

Skywarp2413 Well-Known Member

They were probably compared to each other based on the fact that they both served heavy duty purposes.

That being said, I'd take Animated Bulkhead over Prime Bulk any day.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're both big and strong, for this fandom that is about as much as you need for somebody to compare them. I mean I've seen people compare Starscream to VEGETA before wtf

20. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I get what you're saying, the same thing occurs to ROTF-Jetfire and Kup, they have no similarity other than the fact they're old [one is a histerical, utterly insane, over-dramatic, fearless boisterous mentor, the other is a experienced, reasonable, seasoned badass war veteran].