Building a superhero in 2011

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Grand Sword, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Grand Sword

Grand Sword Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this the other day on how not many new superheroes are becoming popular. I've some what dropped off the comic collecting radar so this could be wrong but it seems to me that Green lantern, iron man are the top dogs, with of course the usual, Batman, Supes, the X-Men always around the top. Back in 1992 we got Spawn, Savage Dragon and of course all the super-teams like WildCats, Youngblood, Cyberforce etc etc. Silvetsri gave us Witchblade and Darkness, but there just hasn't seem to be any new big characters created as of late. I did like the Authority, although we can all see where it's influences came from. Maybe the Sentry can be considered... anyhoo...

If you belonged to Marvel or DC and were tasked with creating a superhero today, how would you make he/she be successful? What powers or personailty do you think would allow it to maybe get enough attention to possibly mix it with the company's top stars?

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

None. Marvel and DC have pretty much secured their top dogs in the top spots. Occasionally you will get someone to sneak in for a month or two but that's it. Any new hero or team does doesn't stand a chance against your Avengers, Justice League, and X-Men.

Take for instance Secret Six and REBELS. Both are actually quite good books but both also do not have well known characters that will appeal to a mass audience. You may recognize one character from each, Braniac 5 and Bane. But both are known because of their relationship to larger characters (Superman and Batman)

The closest thing we have now is the Stan Lee creations from BOOM Studios. I hear the Starbrand book is good. Also, BOOM has been putting out Irredeemable which gets a lot of praise. But for all its love, it still won't come close to Spiderman numbers.

And even if you did create something that did have a small following enough to get recognized, Marvel would never let it go long enough to build a base. Thor the Mighty Avenger was cut short at 8 issues from 12 and it was a THOR book. The new She-Hulk was pretty popular so they gave her a series that god cut to a mini and canceled before issue 1 even hit stands.

And fun fact, the last Marvel creator series that was in continuity that finished was the Epic bannered Crimson Dynamo. It was the only book from the Epic line that was put in the 616 and was allowed to run its full arc. Epic was what you are describing but turned out to be an epic fail.

DC is a little better. They allow for books to have at least a story but will limit them to a mini and announce it as ongoing if it gains momentum. Years back, Jim Palmiotti and Justin Gray wrote a book called Monoloth. It went 12 issues and had a decent following. It never made it to ongoing numbers but for a new character with no relationship, it did well. Peter Tomasi and Chris Samne did a 12 issue series called The Mighty. Same deal. it was good and DC let it finish the story but then it was ended when the arc was done.

If you do want to create a new hero, you have every opportunity to sell a book but it would be through your indy publishers. Maybe IDW but they are mostly licensed properties. You would have to go to your Radical Publishing, Image, Dark Horse, Avatar. And just in sales numbers, everything non Marvel and DC makes up about 30% of overall sales.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Hell, indie is the only real option if you care about actually owning the thing you create.

4. Grand Sword

Thank you guys for responding...

If you were creating what would you put together. The grim and gritty chaarcters of the 90's are out these days, what wold you create a special character?

5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Grim 'n' Gritty is out? But what about the last 2 Batman movies?

Anyway, if I were to do a comic today, it would probably be in a genre other than superhero stuff, exactly because of how hard it would be to crack into the market that Marvel and DC dominate, like you said. But if I had to. . .

I don't know. I'd focus on developing the personality of the character(s) first before coming up with any powers. Try to find some niche that isn't currently being met by the current superhero groups out there. Once that's done, then start working on powers that suit their traits/personality. Blah blah blah.

My superhero comic would be bright (color palette-wise) and the tone would be optimistic and fun. I don't think I would be capable of writing anything too too serious for very long without it getting overly melodramatic and hammy. My hero/heroes would be genuine, true-blue heroes without secret identities. The world wouldn't hate and fear them. Suddenly I feel like I'm describing the Fantastic 4, but I'm liking it.

I'm thinking that my hero/heroes wouldn't be just about beating the villain. They'd be about helping redeem the villain too where possible. For demographics, I'm thinking it could be an all ages book. Say 8-adult. And I think that's all I got right now.

6. Grand Sword

Thanks Mako! That was great!

7. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

One of my favorite newest series is Atomic Robo. Despite the main character being an 8- year old autonomous robot, the biggest draw about him is his personality.

8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think sometimes a lot of new superhero comics are limited by being placed in the Marvel or DC universe. Once they're plugged into that universe, they inherit all the history and problems of those worlds. Plug a new guy into the Marvel-verse and suddenly he has to deal with the Civil War or the Strife legacy virus or a whole history of mutant hate, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention crossing-over of rogues galleries, or playing host to guest shots both designed to boost sales by associating the new guy with the established icons. Basically, it limits creativity.

Speaking of icons- my hero/heroes would have simple costumes. Nothing overly detailed. DC is really good about creating heroes with simple, iconic outfits. Sometimes I think they're a bit too simple, but you can recognize them immediately.