Building a custom Ikea Detolf cabinet... you got one? Help!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Napjr, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everyone loves Detolf´s cabinets!

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/177422-ikea-detolf-display-cases.html

Unfortunately, Ikea doesnt exists on my country... and shipping for just one cabinet is like 500+ times the retail price!

Yikes!

Ive seen many pics and honestly, they are extremely easy to do. I already got all the pieces to make a custom case, im gonna use plexiglass instead of the tempered glass for each wall for example

The only piece i havent found locally is the union joint between glasses, this one (the gray piece):

[​IMG]

Anyone know what kind of name that piece have? where i could find it? Any online place perhaps?

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Here in Netherlands they have these at Karwei :D 

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why not build the joint from wood trim? Seems a simple piece to make.

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    you could try going to a local autoparts store and looking at interior weather stripping, you might find something that would work but i dont know how sturdy it would be

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually there is window bits like that but smaller. You wouldn't need the whole strip anyway. Just a few of those. I wish I could remember what part they were though. Just know they are aluminum and are used on storm windows and screen doors.

6. domshen

domshen Radicon

7. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think im gonna try to make one as well. I have an ikea one and they are real simple. I just wish ther were just a bit wider! . Show us progress pics!

8. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I made one with wood... doesnt look as cool as all glass from all the sides... besides, using steel bars is the cheapest option so far

Cool! ill look for some stores for that

Oh nice! gotta check the sizes though

Sure man!

9. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

This is a great idea! Really hope it works out for you. I'd also love to see pics when it's done.

10. Roxxstar

Roxxstar Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have that cabinet, its excellent, except the door is ill-designed. It slams shut, or open, if not held and opened or closed completely. So you might want to take that in mind when looking into your door hinges :) 
    I will admit that the second cabinet I bought from Ikea, using the billy bookcase as the base, is much nicer looking and sturdier.

11. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Oh didnt knew about that... thanks for the heads up!

12. domshen

domshen Radicon

on mine i took out the bottom magnet and it doesn't slam

13. t.for.transform

t.for.transform Well-Known Member

If you have any family or friends, or maybe even a fellow TFW2005 member, near the Texas border, there are IKEA stores in Austin and Houston. Perhaps if they travel state side they can pick one up for you and bring it back to Mexico and then the shipping would be substantially less...

Just an option...

14. openchallenge

openchallenge Plastic based

I've been looking at that as well. I recently passed on a gargoyle sunglass display case that was on craigslist. It would have been perfect. Oh well.

The thing I don't like about the ikea shelves is that they strongly suggest securing to the wall with straps. They aren't rigid straps either. It won't fall over but will it stay steady enough for transformers to stand on? I've had a number of ikea pieces and when there is a detail like those straps they aren't kidding. It's probably wobbly.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :useless 

Seriously, you buncha punks better post photos of these when you make em!

Also, be sure to post the cost of parts, etc. I'd love to see a tutorial made of this as well. I'm in a similar boat with my collection, as I want to go with the IKEA detolf cases, but I wouldn't mind something else that's the same either :) 

16. omega145

omega145 Autobot

Ebay:
    I've got the detolf cabinets as well and they are slightly wobbly but I don't have any problems with the transformers standing up in them. They are pretty nice pieces for the price especially when you throw some lighting in them. Id also like to see pics when this is done as I wish the detolfs were slightly larger and wider.

17. Roxxstar

Ebay:
    My cabinet is solid as a rock, not an ounce of wobble, aside from the door. But then I tightened that thing door really well. Here are picture of the Detolf and my other Billy bookcase based cabinet. You have to buy a bunch of separate parts from a list to build it, I think it cost like $200 probably less, its been a while. :) 

Attached Files:

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Good find!

For one cabinet, it still seems like it would be cheaper for those of us with IKEA stores near us to go with their detolf cabinets.

19. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great pics man!

So far, the rough cost for each cabinet seems to be about $150-200... However, while the Detolf sizes are: Width: 43 cm Depth: 37 cm Height: 163 cm (or 16.9/14.5/64.17 inches Respectively) Mine is Width: 45 cm Depth: 40 cm Height: 190 cm (or 17.7/15.74/74.8 inches)

I got a sheet of 3mm Plexiglass the other day, 1.83x2.44 mt for like $120, once cutted i can make 3 sides for 2 cabinets. The sheet however, is kinda flimsy, so i need to take into account that

For the door ill get a 6 mm sheet, for like $200, but i can make 6 doors i believe

Today i bought a sheet of melamine lumber, once cutted and edge banded, final cost was like $90 for 12 squares (for 6 cabinets). Unfortunately, i waited all day but they didnt deliver my stuff :( 

I still need to decide if each shelf will be made with glass or plexiglass, most likely common glass because most of the stuff displayed wont be that heavy anyway

20. Roxxstar

Ebay:
    I'm glad you liked the pics, hope they helped a bit
    That sounds awesome :) 
    And with plastic I doubt you'll have the loud "CLANG" the glass door has when closing (or being swung wide open by a monstrous 2yo LOL)