Building a city scene...(who knows about train scales?)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    So, I have a WIP almost done of the final fight between Megatron and Optimus prime, movie style.

One cool twist I want to put on the custom, is it's display is the actual corner seen in the movie, from hollywood (westwood village)

Now, I've been looking around on ebay for those model train plastic buildings. I want to line one end of the display with buildings, and the rest with busted cars and street.

However, I don't know jack about these model kits, and don't see ones to scale with the customs they will be displayed with. For instance, I've found one's like this one, but it's only 7½" tall! according to the auction, it's "HO" scale.

[ATT]3191[/ATT]

So I am assuming there are other scales out there, but do any of you know anything about these kits and what scale I should shop for?

Attached Files:

• bc1.jpg
      bc1.jpg
      File size:
      103.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Tinfoil Turkey

Tinfoil Turkey Well-Known Member

Whenever I've looked for extra parts from hobby store It's 1/32 scale or G scale train sets. It's quite a large scale so I've never found too much online. According to Wiki leader prime is 1/37 and Megs is 1/46. The voyager versions are Prime= 1/45 and Megs= 1/59. Try Googleing G scale train accessories. It might be cheaper and easier to make your own building faces though.

ehko.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Cool idea. I know little about train scales or buildings associated with them. So I wouldn't be of much help there. But, if all else fails, bust out the styrene and create your own architectural marvel.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    thanks for the tips. Apparently G scale is available, but quite expensive. My local hobby shop only has houses and barns (lol) but can custom order them.

I'd build w/ styrene, but that would take eons, and cost time and lots of money (9x12 styrene sheets are $5.00)

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    this is a crazy witch hunt going on ALL $#%$#@ day.

I've got this so far:
    scales include:

H (1:87)
    N(1:160)
    O(1:48)
    G(1:24)
    Z(1:220)

There are more scales than these, but they are less common and harder to find.

6. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Ahh man, I can't wait to see this finished!!! I'd love to do some kickass diorama myself :( 
    Good luck on the search...wish I could help :( 

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    it's a nightmare. I hit up 2 hobby shops and browsed about 1000 train accessory supply sites. I've found a few good contenders, but the price for single buildings usually runs about $80+ which is outrageous (at that price, I might just build from scratch after all)

but the search DOES go on, and once I find a suitable supplier, you guys will be the first to know (it would make a great resource)

so, my quest has resulted that O scale is the best fit, although a tad small, it should result in a believable diorama.

8. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scale models are a pain in the @$$, the hobby shop I get my supplies from have tons of stuff for all size trains though. I am picking up my styrene order on Wednesday so I will try and remember to ask them about it.

9. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

if you decide to scratch build use cardbaord hot glue and cardstock on the face to make the buildings smooth rather than corigated. you may be able to retro fit dollhouse trim for some of the over hangs on top. styrene is to expensive for a project of this scale. plus cardboard is much eaiseier to cut. i am also sure you could download brick patterns from dollhouse websites and such also you could make your own brick patern all you have to do is make the lines at least 3 pixels wide in order to print clear. hope this helps

cardboard the other building material :thumb 

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I appreciate all the help.
    I ended up grabbing 2 kits on ebay, one is HO scale, but I am going to mod it so heavily, it will fit in scale. I only need (for the result I'm aiming for) about 1 and a half stories of each building to actually be there, the rest of the diorama will be destroyed glass/street/cars etc.

the cars and street should be fun. I intend to just pick up a few dollar store cars and for the street, probably get some breakable plastic, shatter it, then apply that onto my base, spray that with textured spray paint, then paint mat black and add some lane lines. lots of bricks and crap all over the place. I want it too look pretty annihilated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.