Customs: Buffing/Polishing Aluminum spray paint.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by minsok, Apr 21, 2011.

1. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I'm doing a Megatron custom and using Tamiya Silver Leaf Enamel spray. Is there a way to buff this so it looks more like polished metal? Like a metal polishing rag? I'd do this before sealing it, right? I have a high grit sandpaper, too. Should I use that? I just don't want to end up rubbing off the paint.

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Modelmaster sells some laquer buffing metalizer paint. I've used it before and have been pretty happy.
    And yes, you would have to do this before sealing. Polishing is like a very very fine sanding. you get a smooth finish becasue your are taking out any imperfections.

Randy!

3. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Damn, I should have bought some of that, but the guy that worked at the shop claimed you can buff any metallic spray paint. Was he full of shit or what? Is it true lacquer is glossy, or was he wrong about that, too?

Anyway, what do you use to buff? I tried using my smooth sandpaper on a test piece and it was too abrasive, so that's out. Keep in mind, this guy's just going to be a gun, so I don't need a mirror finish or anything. I just want it to be a little more eye catching than MP Megatron if possible.

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Any metallic paint? Hmm....that could be true, i dont' know. metallic paint is usally thinner, you'd have to be a little carefull rubbing. all laquer glossy? not sure on that as well. I could have sworn there is different types.

I just used a cotton cloth, like a old shirt. What is also good is that dremel has buffing wheels and cones, but for your megs i'd just try a cloth. No, don't use sandpaper, even the 1000 grit stuff is a bit abrasive for polishing. the tiny fibers in a cloth are abrasive enough to smooth it out.

the modelmaster metalizers are interesting. when you spray it it looks very dull and "fuzzy". but once it's dried you polish it down and it looks pretty good. i used it on my "Peel-Out Prime" for all the "chrome" Botcon09Customs23.JPG - Botcon 2009 - TFW2005.COM One cool thing is on the autobot symbol (taken from a titanium base) I only buffed the raised portions of the symbol and it made it pop more with the dull and polished contrast.
    I'd say if you already have that other paint, try buffing it with a cloth on a test piece. if you don't like it, then try the modelmaster.
    You need to keep in mind that this stuff will not cover a blemish at all, but will actually highlight it more. but that goes for anything silver and shiny. :thumb 

Randy!

5. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Cool, you've been a big help!