Buffalo Wild Wings Hiring Practices...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trenner Dios, Jul 15, 2011.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    You definately need to pay the Kilt a visit. You'll like it soooo much better. My only issue with the place is they make the male bartenders wear kilts but you're so distracted by the girls you just learn to ignore them. Here's a little something from my last visit:

[​IMG]

2. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont know about you, but almost every BWW I have been to has bad customer service. It takes forever to get food, and usually there are a bunch of disenterested 16-20 yo working there. I will say pretty much every sit down restaurant (chiles/applebees/outback/red lobster...etc) has an attractive hostess/greeter. I dont think I have EVER seen a male one.

3. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

Blondes are so overrated.

4. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    This. I will take a redhead or brunette over a blonde anyday.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

the BWW by my place has more brunettes than blondes or redheads.

BWW reminds me of Hooters...so i can see how their practices are.

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Someone has high school issues. :peoples: 

7. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

Sure, if you're shallow, and don't care if it's harder for an average or unattractive person to make a living wage than it already is. It's one thing if the look of your servers is integral to the theme of your restaurant, but this is simply a case of an individual manager's discrimination.

Very nice. Somehow I doubt the one in my city will compare to that. It seems like nearly every chain restaurant that opens in Oshkosh is shitty compared to the ones in neighboring cities.

8. Strikefoil

Strikefoil Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Discrimination is illegal as retailation is by eeoc.gov standards and it is a felony and a federal offense in all 50 states.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Are they discriminating in the legal sense? That'd be hard to prove. Race, religion, age, being a cripple, sure, but physical appearance? Is that illegal?

Besides which, there are situations where being attractive is part of the job description. It's my understanding that servers in Las Vegas aren't actually hired as servers, but as model-hostesses, and as such, are subject to weekly weigh-ins. Physical fitness and healthy weight are required in the military in order to ensure the ability to perform your job. Having a great rack and a flat stomach serving customers beer may be crucial to the manager of a Buffalo Wild Wings.

And even though there's a wealth of scientific evidence out there showing that tall, good looking people (thanks, Mom and Dad!) are more successful than short, less attractive ones, there's no way to enforce equality. Unless you want to shackle everyone with chains and buzzing hearing aids.

Hey, I've got an idea--let's stop discriminating against dumb people. Everyone should be allowed to be an engineer or a doctor or whatever, we have to stop discriminating against dumbasses.

Ohhhhh, I get it now.

10. Strikefoil

Ebay:
    It isnt hard to prove. Trust me. My friend won his four lawsuits against his employer with a digital recorder. Now he is taking on his wife's employer. They are discriminating against her too. Hidden recording devices dont lie and are good as a conviction. I remember the court case that involved the guy that created the nannycam where he busted his wife doing drugs infront of his child and that is why he got custoday of his kid, plus divorce, and put his wife behind bars.

11. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To use a digital recorder against an employer, is that legal?

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wow, you're literal.

First, your story about your friend and his four lawsuits isn't true. If it is, prove me wrong and post a link to the court documents.

Second, my point isn't that actual discrimination is hard to prove--yes, if you have legally obtained recordings of management saying, "We're not going to hire you because you're black," sure, you have a slam-dunk case.

My point, rather, is that just because a business hires a great many attractive women doesn't mean you can prove they're discriminating, especially since "ugly" generally isn't considered a protected minority.

I don't even know what the nannycam and drugs story has to do with anything at all.

13. Strikefoil

Ebay:
    Yes it is legal to use digital recorders against employers in the state of kansas. Yes it is true about my friends court case. I just did prove you wrong. I dont have the court case documents. That is why my friend got a big chunk of change out of his settlement. You want to explain that one to me. You can use digital recorders for anything.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Can you use them to teleport? Or make milkshakes?

But more to the point, you can't actually record people whenever you want in every single state. Laws vary--you are correct about Kansas being a one-party-consent state--but many require all parties involved to consent to being recorded. For example, DC is one of those states, leading to charges being brought against Linda Tripp in the Lewinsky case (although not prosecuted, if I remember correctly). I suspect, however, that you are too young to remember that scandal in detail.

But you've heard another indicator virtually anytime you've called a customer service number: "This call may be recorded for customer service or training purposes." See, they're telling you so if you stay on the line, your consent is implied. An interesting site going into more detail is here: http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html

I can't explain your friends "big chunk of change," because I clearly don't know anything about it. What I DO know is that bringing four lawsuits against a company would be exceedingly ridiculous. Also your story about this crusading vigiliante for rights who first defeated his employee before bringing his sights to bear on his wife just sounds patently ridiculous.

But you didn't prove me wrong, because you didn't show any of what is typically referred to as "proof," which is often required to prove something. Can you link to a news story about the case? Something like that must have gotten some local press. After I read about it I might be able to explain the aforementioned "big chunk of change."

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  15. Trenner Dios

I'm not entirely concerned with the legality of it, but perhaps the morality of it. My point has been that obviously there is no standard for the attractiveness of BWW employees, as many people have pointed out. If this is the case, then whoever is doing the hiring at the one in my town is specifically hiring attractive blondes as 90% of their servers. I'm more concerned with average-looking or less than average-looking people who could be excellent servers being passed up for a job because the manager is a discriminating douche bag.

Of course attractive people are more successful. They're probably more likely to be hired for their looks, despite being more or less skilled than someone less attractive. Attractive people have more job options available to them for no other reason than they look good, so if less attractive people are being turned down for a simple server job because of their looks, then I'm going to be a bit peeved.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  16. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than Walmart, name successful establishments that consistently hire fat and ugly people.

17. Trenner Dios

There are plenty of decent restaurants around here that have a variety of people in server positions: ugly, fat, thin, pretty, tall, short, white, black, asian, hispanic, whatever.

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    That's why they sell makeup, hair dye and Sweating to the Oldies. If someone wants to work at BWW for a suspected chauvinist pig, they can put in the effort to get their foot in the door.

Maybe the manager has a lot of daughters or sisters that look similar and he's running a franchise as a family business.

19. Trenner Dios

Hey, as I said in my earlier posts, they could all just be friends that keep referring each other. I've had really good service from most of them, so it could just be coincidence that they're all hot too. I don't know, it's just a stupid, silly mystery that I posted on the boards for fun.

But I still suspect it's Douchey McManager hiring hotties cuz they give him boners.

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember back in 1984 a new resturant was going to open in town. The resturant was Po-Folks and I don't know if any of you have ever heard of it. The place finally closed down four years ago after 23 years due to health violations.

Anyway, before their grand opening, this young guy was doing all of the interviews. He wanted to hire young attractive girls so he can try and date them. My sister was one of them who applied there. That guy sort of admited to her what his intentions were. She did'nt want to work there after that.