Budget? What's a budget?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The_Black_Sheep, Mar 24, 2012.

1. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    When I started hunting down those G1s (we're talking many years ago here), I told myself "Your maximum spend for any particular G1 is $100 - & not one cent more". Ha! That miniscule budget has since been completely obliterated many, many times over :lol . Surely I can't be the only one who's spending has gone through the roof... :eek: 

2. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For me, it depends on the character, and how much extra money we have after paying bills. Some characters I will pay more for than others. However, I usually try to make a deal, at least at flea markets. Most dealers will be willing to knock a few bucks off.

3. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I usually try to be as cheap as I can, well after market I usually stick to not too much above retail actually.

But With DotM and me not too huge on the Prime figures, I love the show but going to spend this time catching up on missed classics. My Usual cringing at a $60 figure will be blown when I try for Nemesis Prime SDCC and Club Over-Run.

4. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since I've started collecting, I've gone through these phases of TF "fasting" and TF splurging. For example, I'll go 3 or 4 months not buying ANYTHING and just having the "allowance" that my wife gives me pile up in the bank account. Then all of a sudden, I'll splurge at TRU or eBay or something and spend like 500 or 600 bucks on a ton of figures. Mind you, I try to keep my TF spending to 80 bucks a month, but I figure if I don't buy ANYTHING for months on end, spending 500 bucks in one month isn't too bad.

It's actually gotten to the point where the mailman sort of knows that during the spring months, there will be a flood of packages being delivered to my door. Just this past month I've spent $478.94 according to eBay.

5. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I paid $450 for a complete Grand Maximus in 2001. That was my last big purchase before I got married. Now that I have to play the role of the responsible family man I have only paid over $100 on a few toy related items: Masterpiece Convoy (Takara version), 3rd party/KO MP sized trailer for MP Convoy which is an upscaled version of the original Optimus Prime trailer, Bandai 1/55 Maximilian VF-1J Valkrie reissue, Bandai 1/55 Milia VF-1J Valkrie reissue, and the Shout Factory Headmasters/Masterforce/Victory DVD set.

I do stick to a pretty tight budget. I figure out long beforehand what I want to buy and I stick to it. If it’s not on my want list I don’t pick it up. (Well, I usually don't.) I collect a lot of different toy lines so I have to figure out just what Transformers, Star Wars, GI*JOE, Masters of the Universe Classics, and DC Universe Classics I can afford to pick up. I’m going to have to sell off some stuff soon to save up for the upcoming Botcon Metalhawk which will be my first really expensive Transformers purchase in a long while.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, with G1 and some other figures, you really just have to do your homework as to how much that particular figure goes for and find your deal. Sometimes, you have to budget a figure, as in "I won't pay more than $X for Y figure (where X is your value and Y is the figure you're looking for)."

With current stuff, unless something bizarre happens, things will be a at stores for a while.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Part of the reason I'm glad I don't collect G1s is their price. I haven't paid more than $40 for one figure in a long time, and that was usually a Voyager or larger.

Unfortunately, this frugalness has bitten me in the ass once or twice, and as a result, I now have to pay more than I'm comfortable with if I want to get a TRU MP Grimlock...

8. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I TRY! to not spend any more than $50 on an individual figure.... 3rd parties have tossed that out the window.

And I still try to find a good bargain
    (Need a BW S1 Rattrap to complete my Maximals....but am trying to not pay $40)

9. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I try to limit myself to $1500 a month

10. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Maybe when I'm an adult (assuming I'll still be into tf's, which I hope I am :)  ) I may spend upto a hundred fifty on figures, but for now my limit is around 40-50. Although I have gotten christmas, bday presents, etc. including mp roddy, mp grimlock, and devastator. Out of them, I really don't think devy was worth the money, rodimus was totally worth it, but is selling for cheaper than I even got it for, and grimlock, is awesome, but he was 90, which is too high imo for an inclomplete one. lol

I really wanted mps, and 3rd party figures, but I forced my self to not like them any more as they r way overpriced IMO. SO I gained interest in prime figures. Unfortunately they shot up in value once they were cancelled. Its like everything I start liking gets expensive! ahha :banghead: 

11. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    You're kidding .....right?!

12. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I don't know if I could spend $1500 in a month on TFs...

13. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :eek: 

14. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I have a list of what I want, and that drives the budget, not the other way around. Some months it may be hard to find what I want, other times it seems like several things pop up at once (especially close to Botcon and TFCon). My list is modified from time to time, but it's mainly more about finding a good specimen or a good deal on something from the list.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  I try to limit to that much annually :lol 

16. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

Triannually for me.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I never buy more than four toys of any type in the span of a month.

18. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, no - quite serious, here's what I bought the last week:

BBTS:

Date: March 23, 2012
    Shipping Method: USPS Express Mail

Product # Description Sub Standard Collector Subtotal
    HAS19150 BBTS Exclusive - Decepticon Piranacon - G1 Commemorative Seacons 1 $39.00
    HAS19486 Generations 2011 Series 01 - Thunderwing 1 $11.04
    MPB10005 Transformers Generations 2011 Volume 01 - Exclusive Stepper 1 $119.99
    TAK11302 Encore: #20 Devastator Gift Set 1 $124.99
    Subtotal $295.02
    Tax $0.00
    Shipping $61.24
    Total $356.26

Ebay:

TRANSFORMERS TAKARA ENCORE 16 SCRAMBLE CITY BRUTICUS DIAC... (270832882004)
    Sale date: 03/24/12
    Tracking number: --
    $188.99
    + $29.99

TAKARA TRANSFORMERS HENKEI CLASSICS THRUST MOSC (380311469118)
    Sale date: 03/17/12
    $69.95
    + $25.00

TAKARA E-HOBBY EXCLUSIVE KISS PLAYERS POSITION CASSETTE (380356782053)
    Sale date: 03/24/12
    $60.00
    + $25.00

Total this week:
    $755,19

Looking into repro labels as we speak so will be quite a few of them (got none, want loads :p )...will either be them + a Trypticon or this one:

C-324 Star Saber 1989 MISB MINT RARE Japanese Takra Vintage G1 Transformers | eBay

which would only put me a little bit over budget for this month :) 

19. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I know this might be a little prying, but... what do you do that you earn that much money?! Or are you just awesome at setting cash aside?

20. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I have a very tight budget that only allows me to spend on tfs of retail prices (which are getting too high). I may expand to $30 for a alternator or a G1 reissue but that has not happened yet. The speculation and costliness of collecting G1 is what steered me into mainly collecting the Gi joe line years ago.