Minor/Repaint: BTA Alert to Prowl Problems

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Xcandescent, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I wanted to repaint BTA Alert into Prowl, with English decals, and blue and red shoulders (simply because I thought the motif fit, and I didn't want to do a straight G1 repaint). I basically had everything done (and looking nice) except for painting over the Japanese characters ... and that's when everything went to hell.

See, BTA Alert has this really odd shade of white. I can't find anything that matches it, and anything I brush on looks like ass. I had to undo my first attempt with alcohol today -- but ended up wiping off more white than I bargained for.

So I'm in a bit of a spot here. I do NOT want to repaint all the white with Krylon Fusion, because I've NEVER spray painted a model before, and doing this guy without painting over any of the black spots (or anything else) seems like asking for trouble. But I can't figure out any other way to fix the paint job; without a matching white paint that doesn't looked brushed on, the entire project (and the money I spent on BTA Alert) is a wash.

Custom stickers might be a solution ... if I had any that covered up all the white surrounding the kanji on the vehicle, in addition to having the appropriate text on it. Too bad I don't have any sitting around.

So ... help? Anyone?

-XCN-

2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Spray painting it isn't really that hard, you just have to be careful masking off the areas you're not painting. If you want to try the sticker route you could contact reprolabels, they can make you a custom set.

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Yep when I get Alert I am having them make a set for Alert to Prowl and Prowl to Red Alert

4. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    From what I understand they are making conversions sets for these figures right now.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    The timing, the timing I tell you!

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Don't they have a set for BT Prowl to have english on him? I'm willing to bet that set would have everything you need.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like my Alert just the way he is :D 

8. Xcandescent

The set is specifically sized for that mold (and its paint job), so no.

If they plan on offering a BTA Alert to Prowl set, I would be interested. I'm debating sending in decals to make a custom sticker sheet -- the kicker is that the white would have to cover all the white on the doors and rear spoiler. And that doesn't address the problem of the kanji on the rear doors ... guess those would need covering up too ...

As for spray painting ... I really, really, really don't want to have to do that. The key issue is the shade of white -- unless I can find a white that matches the weird, almost pink-white on BTA Alert, I'd have to repaint ALL the white on the figure -- and that's a tall order, esp. with the curved black bit on the front hood. Or I could learn to live with a not-so-great off-white that doesn't match ... in which case, I may as well just brush paint and hope gloss coat fixes the texture.

-XCN-

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Even though I'm not a kitbasher I've heard this said by many kitbashers, if the decal is printed on a painted area, never try to remove it with anything that could strip the paint. I guess it's too late now but at least you'll know for nest time. The best advice I could possibly offer you is get reprolabels to make a custom sheet.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I spent this past weekend doing up my bta alert into prowl. I used testors model master acrylic white and painted it on his two shoulders, hands, and unfortunately because I overpainted some black, on his abs. I don't think there was much of a "brushed look" that went on, and though it took a bunch of coats, I think it looks pretty nice. I'll be posting pics in a couple of days when I'm finished, but feel free to pm me if you need any help/advice

11. TFmaster

TFmaster Lord of the Scalple

My suggestion to you is to use more paint thinner and just clear the entire surface of it's paint aps and then repaint it.

Trying to repaint over messed up areas will only cause you more greif even if applied right. Not taking off the paint might either cause the surface to rise more then you intend and look bad or by taking off only a fraction of the painted applications will leave a paint indent.

Once the entire surface is taken off repaint it entirely it's original color, let dry and then apply a coat of flat then after it dries a coat of gloss. (With the flat layer applied first it'll dim the gloss coat just enouph to match plastic appearances and still have that smooth new glare.

After the main coat is applied and everything like the protective coats are as well and it's fully dry then take masking tape and tape off the area you don't want effected but paint so when you apply the next color layer you can peal it right off safely and have even lines.

It's what I would do and I hope that helps you in some way.

TFM

12. Xcandescent

Thanks all for the advice.

I think the best plan of attack at this point is a can of white Krylon Fusion, after removing the bad brush paint job. I thought it over, and different colored white is basically inevitable at this point, no matter what route I choose (brush-on, white sticker decal, spray paint), so I may as well bite the bullet.

That said, I'm going to try to limit it to just the affected areas on the doors and spoiler; repainting the whole thing is beyond my skills, particularly that curved black section on the front hood.

I would've preferred to repaint Alt. Prowl's head in the same shade of white, but that ain't gonna happen. I'll just brush it down with the same white I used on BTA Alert's head (which turned out well).

Assuming that turns out well, then I have to figure out how to apply the (smallish) decals. Haven't done that before, either, so it could be OK, or a train wreck.

-XCN-