2D Artwork: BT-17 Box Art (If Only...)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Samana Rombuca, May 13, 2007.

1. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I was just working on this tonight out of boredom and curiosity. It ending up robbing me of a couple more hours of sleep than I wanted it to. So, since it took so much effort and I haven't *seen* it done before, I figured it'd be a shame to not let everyone see it. Keep in mind, it's rough, and Black Convoy is way too far off right, etc, but I was just trying to get a rough idea of what BT-17's box *could* have been. I apologize if this is in the wrong area. Here we go then:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kudos to the TFW galleries for the pics of Black Convoy. :) 

Request: If anyone is at all interested in custom-making a BT-17 box similar to what I have here (and maybe others) PM me. Basically, I can even design the box, but I don't have the means to print it. If interested, pm me and let's see if we can work something out! :thumb 

Good nightie, all, I'm outie!

2. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

cool

3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Cool. Are you making it, or are you looking for someone else to make it?

Mirages Boxes has made me custom boxes a few times. Great work.

BTW, Does that mold fit a regular BT box or is it too big?

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice work, man! The more traditional Binal Tech design for the packages would have been TONS better than the "fishbowl." Certainly the Alternators packages would have benefited from not having the same bubble-style packages as well. You've demonstrated the better design quality of the box-with-art packages versus the later packages of either line.

I think the product side of the BT* line is lacking, but I really like the approach of the sides and especially the whole back side dedicated to character artwork.

[Just as an aside, while in the undergrad graphic design program I really fell in love with package design. :)  ]

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    *MUMBLES*stupidfreakingfishbowllameassedpackagingthatsucksmajordonkeynards*MUMBLES*

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I only wish the box looked like that, great job.

7. Samana Rombuca

Well, I just came up with a rough cut of the box image, but I wouldn't be able to convert that into physical form myself.

IIRC it will fit, but it would be a snug fit without lengthening the box a little (it is a pick up, and not just some car :p ).

To ALL: Thanks for all of the comments, I appreciate it. :) 

8. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Ah, well, let us know if you do get one made. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Wish they did that to begin with.

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very nice work, have you designed the other sides? I probably would consider buying such a box 'cause I hate that damn fishbowl.

The Ram just about fits in the BT box, but with no room to spare. This wouldn't really protect Black Convoy particularly well. However the box could be enlarged to approximate Alt box dimensions, so we can use the platform of the fishbowl and the inner bubble in the custom box, so it protects our precious BT-17s better.

Just some random thoughts :) 

10. Samana Rombuca

Not yet, but if I did, I would redo the whole front first. Like I said, I'm not quite happy with it (among other things, I'd use my own high res box scans as templates).

Not so random at all. As before, the Ram is snug in the front/rear department, so the box would need to be lengthened. But not by much. I think Alt box sizes are unneccessarily big tho.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

looks sweet! only wish it really looked like that. I Just got mine in the mail on Friday. I am a happy camper now!

12. Samana Rombuca

I've decided to do work on a full, scaled box that I may or may not be able to physical create. Anyways, stay tuned. This will take a while. Any recommendations on where and how to print a box would be nice. :) 

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Try a local printer (if you can afford it). I'm also thinking of a non-chain place here (e.g. Kinkos, CopyMax, etc.); the independently-owned printers are a little more printer-friendly with this sort of thing.

[****Shameless plug attack****]I went to a local printer to have my RiD VHS boxed set printed. I was able to choose my own cardstock paper (which is on par to an "actual" package. I informed them that I was making this project for my own personal use and not for resale purposes and that the artwork was my own design. Despite the copyrighted and trademarked properties, they were cool with it. I did this sort of thing all of the time when I was in undergrad graphic design. :thumb [/shameless plug attack]

14. Samana Rombuca

superquad7: I was hoping to do just that but I was worried about the copyright business. Well, it's worth a shot.

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, if you're clear prior to printing, the worst the can do is say "no." When I went to print, I was VERY clear that it was non-profit, and that despite the presence of other copyrighted material, the artwork and design itself were of my own creation. Honestly, I'd think that whether or not a place would print such a design would vary from place to place. I think there's a lot of weight to your last statement :thumb