BT-16:Theoretician Skids

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Primeconvoy1, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It took forever to get this figure, but I finally obtained one thanks to fellow member Liokaiser! I’ve wanted this figure for a while, and now that I have it in hand, it doesn’t disappoint! I was never completely sold on the Alternators version. The darker color scheme, odd flaming Scion logo, and frosted windows seemed like a contradiction to a character like Skids. I always considered Alts and BT’s updates to their G1 counterparts, and Skids was a much laid back character when he was portrayed in the old G1 comic. Even his old G1 vehicle mode expresses his character as he wasn’t a sports car like many of the other deluxe figures.

Vehicle Mode

Binaltech Skids transforms into a Scion bbx vehicle. Most of the vehicle body is diecast metal with some plastic parts. He comes is a blue metal flake paint scheme which gives a very sparkled but uniform look to the vehicle mode. Although not my favorite type of vehicle, the choice to make Skids a Scion is an apt choice. A similar type vehicle to his G1 counterpart, this seems appropriate for an Autobot Theoretician. The vehicle mode is a dead on likeness to the real model, and Takara did a nice job in designing to hide the robot details inside. The hood pulls up to reveal the engine which actually plugs into the back of the hidden head of Skids. All 4 doors open to reveal the 4 seat interior and a nicely detailed dashboard.
    One of the nice bonuses that came with Skids is the sticker sheet. It actually includes racing lines similar to his G1 counterpart, and actually comes close to looking like it once applied. I added them to mine! :D  They also include some flame decals and more autobot stickers as well.

Robot Mode

The robot mode for Skids really shines for Skids, once you get through the transformation. I’ve had practice with Alt. Skids and BTA Broadblast, but it can be difficult for collectors who are new to the figure. The roof can be very tedious as folding it so may times, it seems like it’ll snap or break. With patience, it can be done without doing any damage. The arms can be pain to fold out too.
    Once transformed, BT Skids is a nice homage. Most of the blue color still shows in robot mode, but has some nice red highlights to break it up. As a figure, he’s pretty solid figure if a bit top-heavy due to the diecast metal. His articulation is very good and can strike a number of poses.
    Overall, I’m very happy with this figure and is a welcome addition to the collection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    wow, seeing the picture with the alt makes me realize how much nicer the bt is. I never really tried to compare them.

3. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice review. I always liked Skids, and like Blustreak he was always underused in G1... I'm not sure about the update - the vehicle mode is a great choice (even if the Scion does suck) but I found the robot mode a little chubby looking, especially considering how tall and slim the G1 figure was.

Thansk to your review I'm a little more convinced to grab him ^^

4. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are the heads the same mold on all three or are any different? Excellent pics by the way and he seems to have the best color scheme of all three.

5. Primeconvoy1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The heads are the same mold with different color schemes. I'll take some closeups
    of Broadblast and Alt. Skids for comparison.

6. Primeconvoy1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Closeups of the other two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

The unpainted chin on Broadblast and BT Skids make them look like Jay Leno.

I do like the sparkly paint though.

8. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the close ups of the heads Primeconvoy1. They are all so pretty, it's hard to pick just one.

9. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    The Binaltech version of Skids looks pretty good. His color and deco are almost different enough to make me interested in getting him at some point, even though I already have Alternator Skids. Thanks for all the pictures.

10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, i have alt skids and id consider getting the bt version sometime down the road. the metal finish is gorgeous, not a big fan of the leno chin tho, prefer the chin strap of the alt version.

but he definitely needs the decals (i actually like the flames on the alt version), he just looks too plain, made even worse by the boxy shape.

11. Primeconvoy1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I couldn't resist. :D 

[​IMG]