Heavy/Scratch: Bruticus Minimus phase 3: Vortex!! *UPDATE 10-10**

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by big hank, Aug 23, 2008.

1. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    ***Friday 10-10-08 update!***

Hey Gang! After over a month of bad luck and obstacles I'm back in the saddle again! Feels real good to be back bashin', and of course checkin' out the Radicons!!

Here we have phase 3 of my WIP, Bruticus Minimus!

Vortex here was one toughy, that's for sure! I originally intended to use a Legends Evac, but he is too friendly looking, not aggressive or military enough at all for Vortex!

My only other viable option was Movie Legends Blackout, a figure that totally blows, and does not fit in with Classics Legends at all!

The only thing left to do: frankenstein one together!! Vortex is made up of :
    Movie Blackout for the majority
    Universe Starscream for the arms
    Universe Onslaught for the head ( absolutely PERFECT for Vortex!) and upper chest
    Minicon Divebomb's rotor (for the 4 blade look!)

Of course he is fully articulated, keeping with the theme of this whole project!

Rebuilt the rotor mount so it can spin freely, and.......
    Made it attachable on either arm with magnets!! (What good is a big 'ol blade if you can't use it to slice and dice pesky Autobots, like Jazz here!)

The head and arms fit (barely) in the nose section now, That was like putting 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag!! The nose, which was the arms, is now the shoulder armor!

Cut the tank pods off the legs and made them into feet! Double ball jointed ankles to make him more poseable!

Waist articulation and ball jointed neck!

Modded the tail to fold up ( I love chopper 'bots, but HATE the tail/tripod look!)

Obviously there is still lots of sanding and polishing to do, plus I want to build up the feet with putty and build out the legs with styrene cardstock.

Hopefully my "honey do " list won't bo too long tonight and I can get crackin' on Blast Off!!

As always Comments welcome, good or not so good!! Thanks for looking and BASH ON!!!----BH

***Sunday morning update 8-24***

Hey gang! As promised here's the WIP of Swindle!

Here's the mods list:

Thigh rotation 360 Degrees
    Increased shoulder articulation
    Full articulation at the elbow, 360 upper elbow joint, 360 lower, and regular elbow pivot
    Waist rotation 360 degrees
    Head turns 360 degrees

Also threw in a pic of him in "leg module" mode, as well!:thumb 

Next up: Blast Off!!

C&C welcome and thanks for lookin'!!!----BH

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    ....a FULLY ARTICULATED Legends Megs!!! :p 

Yes folks, it's time for my weekly teasers! I was suffering from A.B.S. = Animated Burnout Syndrome :rolleyes: , so I switched gears to have a little fun with Universe/Classics 2.0 for a bit. I am moving right along on the TFAs, they will be done soon enough.

But wait, Why is G2 Megs' cannon on his back?:confused: 

Glad you asked, it is because he is going to be Brawl for my Universe Bruticus Minimus project!! :thumb 
    It seems Menasor has been gettin' all the love lately, so I had to go a different route. Also since F_R, Ptitvite, and Redline have the ginormous combiners mastered, I felt making a "desktop" Bruticus would be cool as all heck! Also it would be a nice modern tribute to tha man, The Devastator :bowdown: , who definitely inspired me to fully articulate the little buggers!

So, let's see what we have here, Here's the mods list:

Thigh rotation 360 Degrees
    Opened the shoulder rotation up a bit
    full articulation at the elbow, 360 upper elbow joint, 360 lower, and regular elbow pivot
    Waist rotation 360 degrees
    Turret doesn't turn, but cannon can go up and down a little

Also threw in a pic of him in "leg module" mode!:thumb 

After some sleep here:D ream:, I'll be taking on Legends Hound as Swindle! Will update on this thread.

I do have a couple surprises in store for some of the other team members, but you'll hafta wait an see!!:p 

ALSO, I AM IN DESPERATE NEED FOR A LEGENDS EVAC!! I need him for Vortex, if ya got a spare PM me and we'll work somethin' out!:cool: 

Thanks for stoppin' in and let me know your thoughts, good or bad!
    BASH ON, O Mighty Bashers, Bash On!!:rock 

Attached Files:

2. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

looks great, a small bruticus to go along with an articulated micromaster devastator? great how you have done this on such a small bot, i had trouble doing it on a deluxe sized mold so i can only imagine how difficult it was. what are the joint from?

3. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Great job! Big Hank!!!
    Those Legends need a lil movement too it!

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    big hank gets big props from me. I love the work you've done so far [I LOVE this toy, btw], and I love the direction you're going with this piece :thumb 

5. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice work!

6. big hank

News Credits:
    Thanks! Yeah, Legends are fun but tough to work on. I'm 6 foot 7 with big 'ol mitts, so I had my challenges!:wink: 
    The elbow joints are various poly joints from Hobby Link Japan. Some things just can't be scratch built, I scratched a set the first time around, and felt they were too weak for long term durability. I'm still not 100% happy with these as is, I am sourcing 1/16 rivets to beef up the elbow pivot joint. The rest of the new articulation is just pin joint work.

Thanks SQ7! He still has some work coming, I'll be filling in the legs and arms with putty to build them up. I totally agree about this guy, and Hound. Definite MUST HAVES! Once you get 'em you can't put them down! Best Legends yet IMO!

7. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

i have used neoshifter joints for legends before, they worked realy well, only problem was you only got 6 out of a pack

8. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Damn you got me beat, I'm only 6'5
    Looking good BH, damn good.

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Damn it! I'm only 6'3"...lanky bastards.

BTW, dope lil project. I look forward to Minimus.

10. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    That's super sweet. There's no way I could ever do something like that without totally destroying several figures.

If you can't find Evac, you could alternatively use TFTM legends Blackout.

11. big hank

News Credits:

HA HA ! My lanky days are FAR behind me, I'm about 305 pounds! :wtf: But of course, most of it is twisted steel and sex appeal!:lolol  :rolleyes2 

Yeah, he's my stand in right now, but I just worked a deal with Dark Prime over at the Junkion and got an Evac comin'!!:thumbs2: 

12. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm about 260lbs & far from lanky too.

13. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Look at you with your super impressive and sweet skills. I love tiny bots and I love articulation so you can imagine my joy and pain when I see this. I wanna do what you do and one day I will, I hope

14. big hank

News Credits:

HA HA!! Very impressive indeed, as I sit here with my fingers superglued together!!:dunce 

Swindle WIP pics should be up in a couple hours!:D 

15. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Good work, very impressive! Looking forward to seeing all the mini-Combaticons completed... and pintsized Bruticus, of course.

16. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Those are brilliant!!! Can't wait to see more! Seriously!!!

17. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

I can only imagine how much work goes into those. They are looking great! Keep up the good work! BTW, how many hours would you say it took to modify one?

18. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Thats really sweet work BH!!..I am diggin it....I thought about picking up a Hound for myself....if I could figure out how you did all the articulation stuff, I just might do it too.

And for the record, I'm 6'5" and about 312lbs.....made of 100% pure loving...;) 

So I totally understand the tortures of working on small tf's

19. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

hey big hank, maybe you can heavy mod a cybertron legends jetfire to make blastoff?

20. big hank

News Credits:
    Very good idea! I am actually heavy modding a Starscream into Blast Off, cuz he was the best legend I have available ( never got the Jetfire legend). I will however, research legends Jetfire galleries to see if it's a better choice! Thanks for the suggestion!:thumbs2: