Bruno ist coming

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MushroomPrime, Jun 22, 2009.

1. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Has anyone seen previews for this? Looks hilarious

2. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ya i saw a preview earlier tonight on OnDemand, there was some funny looking stuff in it.

3. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

It's just Borat, with a Gay, Austrian Supermodel.

The gimmick's being beaten into the ground.
    The comedy won't be any better, most likely. (Though I'll admit, some of the trailers, clips online, and commercials have made me chuckle.)

Sasha Baron Cohen is obviously intelligent and talented. Why not use that instead of relying on old tricks? If I remember correctly, the bait & switch was used on his Ali G show. (I never watched it, since I don't have HBO, so I can't say for sure, but I was told it was basically Borat, just less offensive.)

He was genuinely funny in "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby", why can't he continue to do stuff like that?

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Are you working on a character here? Is this your workshop of the "why can't someone do something like something else they done did already while I judge something I haven't seen yet internet guy"?

Bruno is going to be super lulz, anyone who says otherwise is a liar or surgically had their funnybone removed through their a-hole.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I hope his next character is a Transformers Superfan.

6. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Did it ever occurred to you that people might have differently shaped funnybones?

7. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    This will be awesome.

8. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    that be epic!!!!

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was never a fan of any of Sacha Baron Cohen's characters, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this.

10. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hopefully there will be less awkward nudity in this movie compared to Borat.

11. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Borat made me laugh, so obviously my funnybone hasn't been removed.
    I'm not a liar either.

I sincerely think this will be unfunny outside of a few scenes because it's the same gimmick as Borat.

Cohen is a talented actor, and has excellent comedic timing. You honestly believe this staged comedy is the best he has to offer? Why not rely on his comic talents in general, rather than a gimmick?

Play a character someone else has written for him (like Talladega Nights) and let us see the real him, not a dressed up, painted up goofball, relying on the same tricks to earn a laugh.

There's a reason some comics crash and burn, and others don't... the ones that crash and burn tell the same jokes over and over and over, years later. Dana Carvey, for example. (The man's genuinely funny, but he'd rather tell the same material over a DECADE later, and that's what helped kill his career.) Jeff Dunham will suffer the same career fate if he doesn't come up with new material, SOON.

Sacha Baron Cohen* might be a different type of comic (actor as opposed to stand up), but he's doing the exact same thing, and it's not going to get him anywhere if this is all he does.

*= finally spelled his name right. I keep forgetting it's a c, not a s.

12. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Oh God we're starting an arguement is this topic?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-Actually I kind of saw that one coming...

This movie will rock. Just like Borat.

13. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Sure, it's the same basic concept as Borat, but it will bring the lulz and instead of poking fun at the xenophobia of some Americans, it'll be the homophobia. And it will be hilarious.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  14. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Not on MY internets they doesn't! Oh wait, are you crushing my nuts right now? OH YOU.

Look, fair enough, I was being a jerk earlier, but c'mon. Comedy is subjective and blah blah, I know. Your point on burying this into the ground is about what though, Cohen has logged all of maybe 2 hours of material with this character pre-movie, shouldn't we give this a little more room to breathe before we start saying "no dice"? Especially given that you are saying you did like Borat too.

Considering we're all on a message board devoted to a franchise which has basically recycled the same Optimus Prime story for the last 25+ years, I think we should all reflect a little before we throw the term "beaten into the ground" around, yeah?

15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Never understood really why people like SBC. All his characters are either simply oblivious, obnoxious, or both. He's not funny. Borat did not even warrant a single chuckle, and what I've saw of Ali G Indahouse was even worse. Bruno looks like more of the same.

16. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

To me, Borat sucks, Bruno will suck, there hasn't been a funny or decent comedy movie in about 15 years, with the exception of Tropic Thunder. I can say with 100% certainty that I will never contemplate watching this movie. Enjoy!

17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Pretty much. I don't get how anyone can find this crap funny. Not as in "outrage" but in a more of a "...what in the name of all that's holy are they watching this for?"

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

As I understand it, all the characters originated on Ali G. As for the gimmick being beaten into the ground, how can you beat it into the ground in a total of 2 films (well, 3, but no one saw the Ali G movie)?

But this is also the nature of comedy. Comedians have a style that works for them,and they keep at it until it bores everyone, and then they keep at it some more. How many years did Mel Brooks tread the same ground? Once you've seen The Producers, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, you'veseen pretty much everything he has to offer. Eddie Murphy? Will Farrell? The Zuckers? The Wayanses? The Three Stooges? Abbott and Costello?

19. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

15 years? Maybe your funnybone hasn't been removed... but are you sure it's still functioning properly? :confused: 

20. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

No, I have a sense of humor. But if I'm going to spend money on it, I'd rather it be on more than sex/drugs/poop jokes. I don't know a whole lot of ccomedies these past few years, at least since American Pie, that excludes thoughs. To me, Tropic Thunder was an exception. Probably because Robert Downey playing a white black Austrailian is too random not to love.