Bruce Willis comments on Michael Bay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodimus, May 14, 2007.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I was browsing around other forums and I stumbled upon a very interesting thing. It seems that Aint It Cool News was doing some kind of Talk Back about Die Hard 4 a few days ago and Bruce Willis, under the Moniker "Walter B", decided to join in on the discussion. As usuall no one would believe it was Bruce Willis, but it was later confirmed in a webcast iTalk thing, as well as in a message from Bruce to the guy who owns the site.

First, here is the evidence of Bruce being Bruce. Scroll down to the bottom to see photos of the ichat.

Now here is the laundry list of his posts. If you read through around Walter Bs posts in junction with some of the mods you'll learn down at the bottom of it turns out he is who he really said he was.

The interesting thing that relates to use is that he comments on Bay in the discussion and Armageddon and in his posts he says...

Later talking about Armageddon he says..

Reportedly Bay cought wind of this and was suprised and insulted so I think his name may have been edited at the request of the parties involved. But I don't have the link at this present time to share with you what Bay said in response. In short he said something to the effect of, "If that really was Bruce, I'm suprised he would say that and not say it to my face." or something like that and then proceeded to say how he doubted it to be Bruce Willis.

I always wanted Bruce Willis for the Transformers movie. I thought he would have made a good Dad to Spike/Sam. And everybody knows Bruce Willis Rocks! :rock  Yippi-kai-ya-yay Mutha!

I remember Murphy said they tried to get an A-list actor but it fell through. I wonder if it was him. It makes sense why we didn't get him if Bay was the Director and he doesn't like him.

Bruce Willis IS hollywood blockbuster! Too bad he don't like the director we got though. I guess that means if there's a sequal there's no chance either. :( 

2. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Not that this has anything to do wth TRANSFORMERS, but there are two sides to every story. You forgot this reply from Bay:

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1791

Hard to believe it really is Bruce saying that stuff on AICN. I loved working with Bruce. He gave me a big hug one month ago at the GM party and we talked for 20 minutes. We even talked about working together again! I mean it would be sad if he felt this way - he's never one to hide his feelings - I say sad, in that he would'nt be man enough to say it to my face. But truly sad that such a big time actor would have to hide on a little talk back section. So I really don't believe this story.

I find it also totally odd that my agents at William Morris got the call from Bruce's people to inquire if I would like to helm Die Hard 4, but I was already on Transformers.

Michael

So either Bruce Willis has been grossly misquoted, has changed his mind awfully fast or just won't say anything to Bay's face. I like Bruce Willis, but those comments seem a bit hypocritical gievn the above statement from Bay.

3. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

It was around the same time the hi-rez production pics of the bots were released a couple days ago (also where I saw it): From the horse's mouth...

EDIT: Bruce's comments are really weird, he's a straight shooter but he's been acting up lately. When disappointing news that DH4 would be PG-13, Bruce went out of his way to say it'll be hardcore... he even went on live TV and threw out "Yipikaye motherf*cker." Also, keep in mind this interview was with AICN (a known cesspool of the net) and the crowd there is very much Bay-haters... fanatically so. Bruce probably knew that beforehand.

BTW check out AICN series of interviews with Sly Stallone, those rock on so many levels. Stallone really opens up and was very frank.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    damn, theres so many quotables there XD

good find rodimus :) 

5. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah Bruce vs Bay! I'd pay to watch that.

6. Rodimus

Thanks KA. :) 

That's the link I was looking for. I didn't know where Bay's response was but I read it was that. Truth is that it was confirmed it was Bruce Willis so Bay may just have to settle with feeling sad. :p  Note that in Bay's quote he says he hugged Bruce a month ago. These posts of Walter B aka Bruce Willis was made on May 9th.

Scroll down to post date May 9th, 2007 05:25:13 PM to see the moderator confirm it's Bruce (or just click on the first link and see his webcam chat session and see his face).

To read the quote for yourself scroll down to post date "May 6th, 2007 01:50:16 PM"

Then for the second one scroll down to post date May 9th, 2007 05:42:34 PM

It's Bruce Willis talking candid.

Also Bay has been known to pump up himself in front of others. He's not the most honest person in showbiz from my following of him in the past several years. To put it in perspective how superficial Michael Bay is (and his Boom Bang action movies portray it a bit), his very first directing project he landed was to direct a playboy playmate video shoot. This is a guy that gave Optimus Prime, a big semi tractor trailor truck, flames. He also met Nelson over there from his site by getting in a street race at a stop light in a Lamborghini with Nelson when neither one would back down. It's fair to say he has a big ego. He cares alot about his public image. He's a regular Hollywood playboy. So I don't know if I take much credit to him being asked to do DH4 when you think about how his pride may have been hurt by this big top teir A-list actor that everybody loves and actually made Bay's biggest hit, Armageddon, great... also Bruce being a guy he probably would have liked to work with again. And then you think about the time frame to put out that movie. I think Bay's pride may have been hurt and it could have been in response to that, but honesly I or anyone else outside of their agents will never no the truth with that. All that and I never did mention how he has acted towards fans, litterally telling them on one site "F*ck off". (But I guess that is getting into a different disgussion...)

I'm just disapointed that if Bruce Willis was asked to do Transformers Bay may have been the reason he didn't. I would have loved to have an actor like him! It would lend so much credability to it!

7. Rodimus

Actually Bruce goes on to call alot of them haters. He had already planned on doing an interview with them prior to that and he said in one of his posts that he had heard it was a place they talked about movies. Then the PG-13 discussion seemed to have sparked a fuse in him. He went on to say that he only talks about his feelings on his own movies to his family and his closest friends. And that he wanted to make a Die Hard movie that uqualled bettered the first Die Hard movie. He said that was his favorite of the franchise and he got the rights to protect the mythology. He also goes on to say that the whole reason he came there was to reach an audience/people he normally would get to talk with through normal media. He said he used to have a website because he liked talking directly with his fans but that it became too much trouble to maintane it. And so he just felt like going on a website and talking with people, and that he was told AICN was the place for people to talk about movies.

The whole conversation was really good and I can honestly say I like Bruce Willis even more than I ever did before.

Thanks for the heads up on the sly interviews. I'll see if I can dig those up. I loved the new Rocky movie!

I kind of feel guilty now that this has turned into a multi topic thread instead of a Transformers movie disgussion! :lol 

8. Pengutron

Pengutron Dude

Um, guys, you'll notice that Vern, one of the other black boxed talk-backers says that some of that is his and not Bruce's stuff getting quoted. And Bruce sounds totally jacked or something on there, like he's on some adrenaline high. Just a teensy bit crazy.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This needs to be moved.

Personaly, I hate BW, he's really not that great an actor.

10. Rodimus

Keep reading. He goes on later to say it was confirmed by his boss! See the post dated at the time of May 9th, 2007 05:25:13 when Vern confirmed it. And if still don't believe, click the link and go see Bruce Willis on iCam for yourself. It's his own pretty bald head! :D 

11. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Bay is an uncontroleable egomaniac who abuses his poor misguided actors (unless your name is Shia... who is a whiny bitch just 'cause). All other Hollywood directors out there are selfless saint-among-men compared to Bay. There, that better? ;) 

Kidding aside, Bay is very well know for his ego; heck, he doesn't bother to hide that. He's got such big ego that he'll go up to your face and tell you that.

And if you think the interview is just Bruce being frank and honest in just another interview, you're kidding yourself. The negative fan reaction to the PG-13 rating and the fact that DH4 was at one time in direct competition with Transformers (until the teaser came out and then the DH4 studio was smart enough to move the date), that also played a part in what Bruce said. Love the guy but gotta point out the obvious.

Bottom line: what does it matter how a director is as a person? As long as he does his job to the best of his ability and try his hardest making movies to entertain us, we should care less what type of person he is. (Unless, of course, they're unrepenting criminals... even then, Hollywood seems to ignore that and still embrace them as royalty.)

You want to be pissed at a director? How about one that frequently takes time off from a production and have others direct his own film, like Brian Singer. How about one who helped bring the MPAA into power, like Spielberg? You know, stuff that directly effects us and our entertainment, not just bad personality/characteristic traits that are inherit in every Hollywood type out there.

12. Ed Bailey

Ed Bailey Must.. spend.. money...

I just find this extremely funny and could really see Affleck doing this. I always get the impression that the only reason he hasn't accidently killed himself or totally ruined his career is through the intervention of his friends :D 

13. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

That's what I've always said. I don't care how much of an asshole or how big their ego is, I'll judge a director/actor/musician/politician based on the quality of their work and what good or bad things they do. Hell, most of my artistic heroes have been megalomaniacs, drug addicts, drunks, sex fiends, or outright insane, so it's not as if I'm in any position to talk.

I honestly couldn't care less about Bay's ego, I'm interested in whether or not this will be a good movie. Besides, at least he's trying to offer up something new ths summer instead of another squeal.

Especially one that only serves as a weak attempt to revive a long dead action franchise that should've been left alone with at least some degree of dignity instead of being dragged up so to help some actor overcome his midlife crisis....Bruce.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The Playboy thing is hardly evidence of his superficiality, you know. Everybody starts out somewhere and he just happened to start doing that, and its a rather weak attempt to discredit him by using that against him. Better to use something like a really big-budget project he did that didn't go anywhere or was just a plain bad movie.

And to be fair to him, Optimus Prime had flames with a similar-looking truck mode some 11 years before the movie was ever made, and the toy also happened to be one of the most beloved toy forms of G1 Prime. Not saying the flames helped his appeal (though the sticker of Prime burning down a forest was hilarious), but it didn't seem to damage the toy's appeal, either.

Sly opened up and was just like his brother? :O

15. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I find Bruce's comments to be HIGHLY contradictory of this fan's account of working with Michael Bay. Who he describes as approachable

16. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

1. Everybody in Hollywood has a big ego. Even Tom Hanks.
    2. Both of them need a hit. Bay still suffers from The Island falling short. And Perfect Stranger was a gigantic bomb.
    3. The maxim holds true, any publicity is good publicity.
    4. Harry Knowles ate my balls.

17. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I'd rather believe a highly successful actor then some fan who was an extra. Whats Bay going to be like, "Fucking shit! Extra #34, why can't you just be more unnoticeable in the fucking background?!"

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Far as I've read:

-Michael Bay can come of as incredibly unpleasant on the set if you're dealing with him most of the day
    -Bruce Willis didn't enjoy working with him all that much
    -There lies the possibility that MAYBE THEY JUST DON'T GET ALONG ON SET and it has little bearing on them being pleasant in other fuctions.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was trying to get at this, but you came off lucidly.

plus, who the fuck cares if they get along. its john ma-fucking-clane posting on teh internet!

(mod should prolly merge the 2 threads btw.)

20. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I find it funny that some folks on the board feel obliged to defend Michael Bay at all.