Broken toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Jul 2, 2006.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    So yesterday I was like "Yay I found Primus" but then I brought it home and was transforming him and I realized that the gun on his arm wouldn't stay down I guess the spring was missing. So I returned it for another one.
    But anyway what happens to the broken Transformers? Are they sent back to the facotry fixed and repackaged? Sent to a liquidators? Or maybe Toys R' Us will just put all the twisties back on and resell him. I was just wondering what happens to all the defective toys or at least all the Transformers.

2. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They are feed to unicron via conveyer belt, much like how it is depicted in the movie.

Now what happens to defective Unicrons, well they are cannibalized by the non-defective ones.

Mystery Solved.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When a defective TF is returned to the store, it is placed in the backroom. Every night, the mighty King Moonracer makes his rounds, searching the world for such defective toys. When he arrives in the store's backroom, he finds the TFs in question and transports them to the mystical Island of Misfit Toys, where they are free to roam amoung the other defective toys. Free to live in a place where no one cares about their non-functional sound effects or missing parts. Free to live in peace.

The End.

(Seriously, I'd assume they're returned to the manufacturer or just put back on the shelves.)

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    By the looks of things TRU just shoves em back on the shelves.

5. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    :stick: 

6. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    :throw 

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    My Zellers just throws 'em out.

8. butz

butz slippery when wet

I think they just put 'em back on the shelf, hoping the next person to buy it doesn't realize its broken. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear.

9. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If you buy a broken toy, your best bet is to contact Hasbro. They do a lot more than the stores.

10. Kupp

News Credits:
    and take alot longer.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know for a fact that my local Walmart puts broken toys back on the shelf. Also my TRU does the same thing. Because I've returned broken toys to both only to see them reappear days later. :( 

12. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    that is really bad. Did they at least clearance it? probably not I am betting.

13. Kupp

News Credits:
    I bought a clearanced armada jetfire for $1.16 that was no doubt returned as broken. Kid took the entire thing apart. 2 minutes later in my car I had him put back together as good as new.

14. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I've worked retail jobs at Kroger (grocery store) and KayBee toys. At both places, damaged items (whether they were returns or came out of the case that way) were inventoried and sent back to the original distributor or a contracted service that gave the store credit for those items. At the same time, I'm sure that some places do just put them back on the shelf, not because they don't care, exactly, but possibly because some employee sees it sitting in the back and just assumes that it should be put out on the floor. At Kroger and KayBee both, we had a dedicated location in the storerooms for damaged items. By the way, damaged food items were always thrown into the trash and only the empty packaging was returned, while non-perishables were sent back in their entirety.

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At Target broken and damaged items are all processed in the back. The system will tell us whether it's supposed to be sent back for store credit, or destroyed and just tossed in the compactor.

16. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    TRU has a dedicated place for open / broken items too.

17. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Well, knowing my local TRU and Wal-Mart, they put tape the box up with all the pieces rattling around inside and put it back on the shelf. I've never bought one though since they don't clearance them (Canadian stores NEVER put things on clearance >_< ).

LMFAO!!! :lol  :lol  :lol 

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Back on the shelf, and if not sold soon then marked for clearance.

Unless they're totally screwed then usually they're marked off, sent back and re-ordered.

Depends on the individual stores these days and which one's are honest or not. TRU just throws it back on the shelf, even if it's a totally different toy.

19. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Be careful dealing with Hasbro, you can send them a broken toy, and they'll send you back whatever the hell they feel like sending.......:throw 

Anyone remember my debacle with Energon Shockblast?

Perfect example.....

20. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Well, knowing a bit about retail, this is my understanding. Others may correct me.

One of the big factors is how large the store is and what sort of deal they have with the manufacturer or their distributor. My understanding is that different companies can negotiate different deals with the manufacturer for how much they get credited for returned damaged units and how many damaged units they can return without getting shafted on the credit.

What they do from there is based off of the cost of the item and whether it's worth caring about that much money vs how many units they send back. I would suspect that in most retail situations that calculation never reaches the point that it's really worth it to try to sell the unit anyway, even at a reduced price. It's definitely not worth the shelf space and time and effort involved to a larger retailer, who would have computer issues to deal with as well. And a smaller retailer will have even more intense issues with shelf space and fewer items to send back due to damage.

To sum up, I'm pretty sure that most items that end up back on the shelf come from employee laziness or failing to realize that the item is, in fact, damaged, rather than any particular store policy. As to what happens to it after it's sent back, I have no idea.