Broken G1 Mirage

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by joevill, Feb 16, 2008.

1. joevill

joevill Well-Known Member

I bought a vintage G1 Mirage off ebay and it finally came in today. Excited, I pulled it out of the box and began the transforming process to see how tight he is only to hear/feel a gental snap!

OMG, I just broke it! Are all Mirages this easy to break? Does anyone know of a guide to fix my investment?

Thank you!

2. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did it come in half at the waist? If so, yeah, they are pretty easy to break for some reason... it is, however, pretty easy to rebuild with some modeling parts, but I don't have any pics of it for you. Many people have done it tho, so someone here will have some tips for that.

3. joevill

It was one piece when I got him, but when I tried to transform him, that's when it snapped! I was not hard on it either.

4. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

which part broke? waist or rear spoiler?

5. joevill

It is the waist, the peg broke in half. Any suggestions on how to fix it? With parts from the hobby shop or hardware store?

6. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I had the exact same thing happen (as have countless others). I was planning on using a nut and bolt with two washers, but I cannot even get the screws out of Mirage. They're too old and too tight. It's a sad sight to see him lying there in pieces. Good luck with your fix!

7. joevill

the peg is part of the upper torso, correct? I thought it would be easy to come off once I unscrewed the center screw but I'm having difficulty pulling the body apart. There are some clips on the shoulders that seem to be holding it in place but I already broke one of them on the junker I had while practicing on.

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I've successfully glued a broken peg back in the past. This required a little sanding on the upper and lower body halves, since I guess the glue I used melted the plastic a little or something, since the peg was now shorter.

A better way would probably to bore out a tiny hole on the peg and torso and stick a supporting wire in there, along with some glue.

9. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

10. joevill

Well... I was successful! With the help with one of my friends we fixed him. I went to the local hardware store and bought 4-40x1/2 Combo Round w/Nut. It was a little pain but it worked! It's definately a lot better than a two piece Mirage that it would of been :(  but still he Transformers :-D

11. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Nice! Congratulations. I finally went to the hardware store as well and am currently in the process of fixing my Mirage. I'm just waiting for my drill's battery to charge now. Thanks for getting me off of my butt!

12. joevill

It is not perfect, if I want to transform it, I need to put pressure on the waist otherwise the screw fix loosens...

I wish there was a better way to fix this... but hey, at least it is in one piece which is displayable!

13. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    You should probably get a Classics Mirage. I've been twisting and turning him 10 ways from Sunday and his joints are still going strong.

14. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    If (when?) I ever go to fix a G1 Mirage, I'll probably use a poly-cap like those found on Gundam kits and a new plastic rod peg to allow freedom of motion and durability, without the limiting nature of a screw setup...

15. joevill

Really.... can you tell me more information about these? I may have to resort to something else because the current fix doesn't seem like a permanent fix.

As I was playing with it, it felt like the lower half was going to unscrew off so I put it back away!

16. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    Hi,
    You should check out these:
    http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVOP-384
    WAVE makes a variety of sizes and styles, and there are also Kotobukiya and Yellow Submarine options. If you took one of those in the link, you could cut off the pegs, and sized cut a hole in the waist part, and mount the joint with some putty, and add a peg on the other waist part made from the pegs you cut off the side of the joint...