Broken Figure

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by harveydent, Mar 26, 2012.

1. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Anybody ever get something from ebay and have it arrive broken? I recently got an Alternators prowl (loose). It was packed in a USPS Flat Rate box but with the toy (robot mode) in a ziplock back and covered with loosely crumpled newspaper. At that point I got a bad feeling.

When I brought the ziplock bag out, I immediately noticed that the right door was broken off. I wasn't that worried since I thought it probably just popped off the hinge/joint, but then I remembered that the Acura Alternators and Binaltechs have an issue with side mirrors. And true enough, the loose door had the side mirror broken off. (The other door still had its mirror.)

I don't think the seller sent out a broken toy, but it might have been broken during shipping.

My questions for you guys:

1. Should I even bother to return it and just superglue the mirror back? I got it for relatively cheap ($20+10shipping). If I do send it back, I'd be out $15 and have to look for another Prowl all over again.

2. If I do send it back, what did you guys do if you had a similar experience? Email the seller first? File a dispute with ebay? Or file a dispute with Paypal? Will ebay/PP even consider a case like this? The seller might have sent a mint toy, but he used poor packaging. Or am I SOL since it was USPS's fault?

Thanks to everyone who managed to read this far! :) 

2. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Well I would first off comb through the packaging, shoddy as it is and see if the piece missing is loose inside. Then after that contact the seller first and see how he wants to resolve it. At this time also make a copy of the item listing just for your records.

If he don't want to solve it, then file a dispute with Ebay/Paypal. You might keep it but there should still be something done about it.

3. harveydent

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, the side mirror is chilling at the bottom of the bag, so it probably snapped off during shipping (or the seller was devious enough to throw it in the bag if it was already broken).

Oh, and should I even open the bag and bring they fig out? Or just leave it as it is. I already took pictures of the door, the mirror post, and the mirror

4. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Years ago i bought a MiB Alt Swerve from eBay for a good proce then, after fiddling with the figure i noticed one or the hinges that connect the leg to the hood was broken :( 

Doesnt affect transformation if done with care though

5. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Sucks about the broken figure! I've had this happen once or twice and it's always upsetting...

Resolution really depends on a few things:
    • If necessary, do you really want to return the figure?
    • Would you still be satisfied with your purchase if you just repaired it?
    • Was the USPS box damaged externally?
    • Did you pay for insurance?
    That last one is really important. If you didn't get it insured and the product was found to be damaged in shipping you really don't have much of a case, unfortunately.

I would have a specific resolution in mind (discounted shipping refunded to your PayPal account, for example) before contacting the seller. I would definitely let the seller know that the figure was broken once you got it, though.

6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'd contact the seller, send him pics and ask him to give you some of your money back.

It's really unfair for you to have paid full price for a figure that broke because of him. If you include pictures it's not like he can claim that you broke it on purpose in order to grift him or anything. I definitely wouldn't send it back, and would just superglue it back on. I just think you should get a bit of money back.

You sure the door is just popped off?

7. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

^

10$ for that figure. The seller could have at least glued it himself. I paid 15$ for a mint complete.

8. harveydent

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

I feel really bad for the seller since it looked like he was a fan who was selling off most or even all of his collection. Cheap too, since all listings started with $1.

As of right now, I still don't know if I want to return it or not. It's easily repaired with superglue, I suppose. I'm just anxious to get as much input as I can while the return/dispute window is still open.

@Nightwind: the USPS box looked good for a shipping box, and I didn't pay for insurance. Is insurance the seller or the buyer's responsibility? And what did you mean by dicounted shipping refund? Full refund of the item plus return shipping costs?

@soundwinder: I haven't opened the ziplock bag yet to check the door, that's what I'm going to do next

@seali: so I ask for $10 back and keep it? (oh, and kamusta!)

Again, thank you everyone for the replies! I'm still bummed out as I really wanted this toy

9. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I would just glue it myself then forget about it.

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I view insurance as the responsibility of both, honestly. If the auction offers insurance then it's the seller's responsibility to make sure it's actually applied once the item is shipped. If insurance is not part of the auction, it's up to the buyer to ask for it or risk the results of purchasing an uninsured item.

A few months back, I purchased a figure that was missing a part. It wasn't easily seen in the pictures of the auction, but the item was also listed as "good, displayable condition". Since I didn't ask if the item was complete and the description was ultimately kind of vague, I asked the seller to give me a partial refund on the shipping cost. I believe I asked for 50% of the shipping cost as compensation for having to hunt down that missing part. Maybe you could ask for $5 back and call it even?

11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would glue it back on, or politely explain what happened to the seller. See if you could work something out. Some sellers will work with you, some won't. If he doesn't remember it and never do business with him again.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mine fell off right out of the package, i just glued it and forgot about it, but ask for a partial refund at least, should've packed it better than that