Broken Ball Joints Help

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Spartan Prime, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    I got a care package from my wife in Japan (navy tour), and it made me happy as hell. I got Revoltech Prime and Megatron, A Reissue Soundwave w/Laserbeak, and Kingdom Hearts II's Axel.

Well, Axel came with a second set of hands for holding his weapons, the left one came out easily enough, and the replacement was put in just as seamlessly.

The right had trouble. I didn't twist it too much, I know thats a bad thing, but after a few moments, it popped in the bad way and now the plug end of the ball joint is broken off inside the arm.

Is there a way to get it out without damaging the arm or socket? I don't care about the hand so much, he has another more useful one, but I want to keep the arm intact.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may want to take a small, sharp pin and stab at it to break it apart. Then lodge it into a piece and try pulling it out.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    there ought to be screws that will allow you to take the forearm apart. the ball will then simply fall out.

4. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    there doesn't seem to be any screws on it at all now that you bring it up

5. Getter Eagle

Getter Eagle Banned

I know the figures you're talking about. Some people might not be familiar with them.

Get a small, sharp-ended screw and carefully screw it into the ball that's stuck in the wrist. Make sure that you get one long enough that you still have something to grab onto once it's in. Then just pull the ball out. If you get a thin enough screw, you might be able to get it out without ruining it.

6. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    thanks everyone, will try. i'll let you know how it turns out.

goddamn, this is honestly the greatest board i have ever been a member of. issue a help request? people come a-running!

7. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    UPDATE: Tried Getter Eagle's idea, and it was sound in theory. The socket to the ball joint must be resoundingly tight, because the screw, even with the use of some adhesive, just yanked itself out sans the broken ball.

For a few hours today "Pirate Axel" sat on my desk with his screw-arm, and amused me.

I'm gonna try Liege Prime's idea and try and break it apart from the middle to get it out.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that I think about it, if you manage to break the ball join up a little, it may be helpfull to add a touch of super glue to the pin. Then stick the pin in there with the broken ball joint, let the glue settle, then try pulling whatever parts of the broken ball joint attaches to it. Good luck either way.

9. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    I think I'm going to carefully drill it through, leaving a side up, and use pliers to pull it inwards. That way, once I pick it apart some, I can collapse it inwards and pull it out.

10. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I got an Advent Children Sephiroth figure that the same exact thing happened to. Still haven't figured out what to do... :banghead: 

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not familiar with the figure you are speaking of, but if you ever get a stiff joint like a wrist (marvel legends, 25th Joes etc.) put the figure in the freezer for 5 -10 minutes. Once the plastic is cold, it is very stiff (for example the wrist peg) and will turn out of place, or make it easier to pop the sucker out. This way the plastic will not stretch or stick like at room temp. I know that does not help you for your current problem, but may help in the future.

12. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    That sucks. She was going to send me an Advent Children Reno. Here's to hoping for less of the same BS.

13. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just out of curiosity, will that work on a Mega SCF Pvc figure too? My Micron Legend Megatron is giving me a headache when it comes to certain parts >.<

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It should. I had to do it for my SCF Prime to get the wrists to turn the first time.

15. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    Update 2: Broken ball is removed.

I drilled it through, used tweezers to move the drill hole to one side, then applied pressure against it to pop it out. The joint is still too tight to put the other hand in, so I'm gonna have to carve at it a bit. Rather too lose than not. Loose I can fix. Tight = more of the same crap I just went through, only no more hands.