Broke my reissue Powermaster Optimus Prime :(

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Takeshi357, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    The peg on one of the double-barreled turrets broke. Didn't see that one coming, especially since they have metal rods inside the pegs.

Now, there's about half a centimeter left on the actual peg, meaning it'll stay on the holes I stick it in reasonably well, but the problem is the metal rod and the remaining peg now stuck inside one of Apex Bomber's legs.

The rod usually sticks inside the turret and I can use it to still attach it on Apex Bomber's leg where the rest of the peg is, but the problem is that it's 1) loose, and 2) sometimes the rod gets stuck inside the leg instead of the turret, forcing me to yank it out with pliers.

Any suggestion as to what to do about this? The chances of finding a replacement turrent are nil, and it wouldn't solve the problem of the peg stuck inside Apex Bomber's leg either so that's pretty much right out.

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I would imagine you could work out the remainder of the peg with a pair of needle-nose pliers and then Gorilla Glue it back together. I did my original Sinnertwin's head that way a few years back (before I sold off most of my collection) when it snapped off in Hun-Grrr's foot connector hole. Worked good as new after that, you couldn't even see where it broke off.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Damn, I broke one of the same pegs too on my original Powermaster Optimus Prime. Sometime in the 90s. The remaining part is still stuck in his arm and I don't know how to get it out. Was thinking of just getting a reissue to replace mine. I dunno...

4. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    You can solve this problem very easily. Buy my unbroken one :) 

5. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    lol

I've actually been wanting to switch the PM Prime reissue over for a God Ginrai reissue, but I was never particularily motivated to switch such an expensive toy for what is basically exactly the same, just in a different box...and non-safety regulated missiles.

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I don't f***ing believe this! I just broke ANOTHER one!

No, not the other turret - this time, it was Armada Optimus Prime's elbow, one of those gold-coloured ones. D:

And the sad thing is, he'd been sitting in my cupboard for months and just took him out to fiddle with and considered putting my Armada toys back on display.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Sounds like another case of GPS on that Armada Prime.

My original PMOP did that when I was a kid. The lesson I learned was to never push them all the way in. My reissue just has them pegged in enough to hold. In fact, I do that with a lot of my toys nowadays. PMOP was my favorite toy as a kid and it broke my heart when it broke. Must've made an impression though cause I still refuse to peg anything in all the way if it's too tight. lol

8. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Years ago I bought a G1 Powermaster OP on Ebay (non God Bomber version) complete but one of the double barrel cannons was broken. When I received it I saw that the cannon was missing the peg and immediately found it still sitting inside the leg's peghole. I used the smllest drill bit I had, tapped about 1/4 in into the broken peg and pulled it straight off, then superglued it back onto the cannon, and I've never had to worry about it since and you cant even notice the break! It's been on there for about 10 years now and it's never broken back off.
    Good luck with your repair!
    Later

9. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    It never even occured to me it's gold plastic.

I wonder if I could find a loose cab and replace the arm.

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I'd say buy a replacement vintage double cannon after you get the peg out of there. A small drillbit or wood screw could grip it.

I did not realize you even could push them in that far. Not going to try it. I just push it in until it grips, as I want to move the cannon about.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  11. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    I'm lucky mine hasn't broken yet!

12. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Can't really do that. Vintage PM Prime had light grey parts, the reissue is based on God Ginrai which uses more silvery grey.

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Making Hades mad, raising this thread back from the dead...

...to tell you that I used some of that Tamiya model kit glue to stick the cannon back onto the remaining peg still stuck inside the God Bomber leg piece - and it actually worked! :eek:  I left it to dry for about a day and the next morning, I carefully turned the cannon while pulling it outwards...and the peg slid out of it's hole neatly, still attached to the cannon, leaving only a visible seam where it broke off.

Now I can look at him and not feel bad about myself again :D