Customs: Broke my MP Convoy

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by yami4ct, Mar 7, 2007.

1. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sadly, yes it's true. My pride and joy, MP-04, took a tumble a few nights ago and broke his foot at the ankle. I've tried to use Contact Cement, but it never seems to cure. The break is very clean right where the ball joint connect to the leg. I've heard the best option is to pin it with a knurled pin, but where can I get one, and how do I go about doing it. Also, will it provide enough support to keep the ball joint firmly on the leg. I've also heard another solution would be to dip it in Acetone to soften the plastic, than push it together and hold it until it dries. This sounds a little too dangerous to do on such an expensive figure, so I don't want to do it unless someone else has done it successfully. What other suggestions do you guys have? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I want him back into working order ASAP.

Thanks a lot. If I can get a solution to work I'll post pix of the newly repaired Ops here.

2. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Sorry to hear that dude =/

3. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Sorry to hear that dude =/

4. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Ya, it's sad. But the break couldn't have been cleaner, so I'm very confident I can find some way to fix it.

5. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Ya, it's sad. But the break couldn't have been cleaner, so I'm very confident I can find some way to fix it.

6. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

O well good luck to you bud and tell us if you manage to fix him, and sorry i can not come up with a solution since ive never had an MP toy, i would have nothing to base my solution upon.

7. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

O well good luck to you bud and tell us if you manage to fix him, and sorry i can not come up with a solution since ive never had an MP toy, i would have nothing to base my solution upon.

8. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I would contact Hasbro Customer service. say it is a Hasbro 20th prime. or go buy a 20th anniversary prime on sale at walmart and swap part. then return it.

9. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I would contact Hasbro Customer service. say it is a Hasbro 20th prime. or go buy a 20th anniversary prime on sale at walmart and swap part. then return it.

10. TheJacker

TheJacker Banned

hey yami didnt kno u were a member here as well as tfwire to cool good luck on yur op

11. TheJacker

TheJacker Banned

hey yami didnt kno u were a member here as well as tfwire to cool good luck on yur op

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

soon they'll be cheap enough, you could just keep the thing.... and use it for parts for now on.

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

soon they'll be cheap enough, you could just keep the thing.... and use it for parts for now on.

14. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Scuff-sand the broken surfaces after fist cleaning them up with something to remove the superglue residue, then try some 2-part epoxy such as 5-Cure, or any other 2-parter which works on hard-plastics. Most hardware stores will have something, and you could also try lapidary stores--that's where I got my 5-Cure from. The trick is to figure out something which will allow you to clamp the 2 pieces together for 24 hours.

15. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Scuff-sand the broken surfaces after fist cleaning them up with something to remove the superglue residue, then try some 2-part epoxy such as 5-Cure, or any other 2-parter which works on hard-plastics. Most hardware stores will have something, and you could also try lapidary stores--that's where I got my 5-Cure from. The trick is to figure out something which will allow you to clamp the 2 pieces together for 24 hours.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've used Krazy Glue on stuff like this and it worked great. Much better than Super Glue.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've used Krazy Glue on stuff like this and it worked great. Much better than Super Glue.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Can you photograph the broken part? I might be able to suggest some way of solving it from there.

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Can you photograph the broken part? I might be able to suggest some way of solving it from there.

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I would say use epoxy, JB Weld (YES, it works on plastic), or you may have to drill and pin.

My experience with model cements and crazy glues says they won't hold long on a load-bearing stressful joint like that.

A picture would help a lot.