Minor/Repaint: Broadside

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by E. C. R. Former, Feb 25, 2009.

1. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I've seen several WIPs of using Armada/Energon Tidalwave into Broadside but I have yet to see a completed version here on the Radicons. Well, I present to you one now.

Broadside is mostly a repaint of ENergon Tidal Wave using Liquitex acrylic paints. The only place where I did any modding is the head. Namely, I'll have to give credit to SMOG for giving me the idea of using Classics Jetfire's helmet for it: especially since I had one lying around. :thumb  I feel like I've come full circle now. When I got my original Classics Jetfire it came with one missile missing. After futilely searching Ebay and the Junkion Exchange for moths, I broke down and bought a second Classics Jetfire who's missiles I gave to my original Jetfire.

Well, with a second Jetfire in my possession, I gave the gun to my custom Punch/Counterpunch, used the helmet antennas as horns for my Nightbeat and Minerva, repainted the base figure into Thunderwing, and with the helmet now serving as Broadside's head I've used up the whole thing. :D 

The head is the only part of Tidal Wave that I really modded. I took out the back, reversed the face so that it became the back of the head, used some putty to cover the face and seal off the springs so that they won't fly loose, and glued the Jetfire helmet onto it (after I painted its inside to give it red optics). A more advanced kitbasher could probably give it a ball joint but I'm happy with how it is right now.

The only problem is that the helmet juts out a little so that the chest plate can't quite cover it when rotating. For now, I loosened the screw to relieve some pressure but a permanent solution (for those who wish to copy this kitbash) would be to drill a hole into the back of the chest plate where the helmet would fit into.

Alas, I can't give the figure knees. :(  SMOG says that he used a Cybertron Jetfire's legs to give the figure some knees but no matter what, I can't justify buying a C. Jetfire (or the movie Jetstorm repaint) just only for it's legs.

Attached Files:

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    That looks awesome! How about Smog's arm mod? I don't believe it requires any other doner figures. Either way, You have a winner here!:thumbs2: 

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I agree, I really like what you've done here. I've always enjoyed seeing the various Broadside works that others have done. I really like Jetfire's helmet on this--it gives it that updated G1-style. Keep up the great work, man.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Nice! I'm feeling like the deco might be a bit heavy on the red overall, but it's looking good. Broadside is rust-prone after all. ;) 

Thanks for the props for the head idea! The arm mod I used has that annoying problem of making the combined supercarrier mode unfeasible... at least until I mod the shoulders, but that's a whole other mission.

Yeah, don't buy a Cybertron Jetfire (or repaint) just for the legs... but keep your eyes open for used junkers online or elsewhere. I paid no more than $10-12 each for the Jetfires I used to give proper legs to Armada Megatron and Tidal Wave... and I'm sure there are more out there. And it's the kind of mod you can add at any time without really hurting the modifications you've already made.

Where's the axe from?

zmog

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job, but Liquitex? Doesn't it just rub off?

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

beautiful!

7. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    You are too awesome

8. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

This is an awesome idea and I especially love the paint job!

9. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

The axe is from one of the pre-diaclone sale axes that was on ebay several months back. At least, it was advertised as Diaclone but to me doesn't matter whether it was or not: works perfectly for Broadside. :D 

Yes it does and that was the main problem I was having with my custom Hot Spot. Since then however, I've discovered that if you let it sit for several days, the paint adheres to the plastic a little better. That and the Tidal Wave mode doesn't have much rubbing due to its unique transformation.

Thanks for the critiques everyone.