BROADBAND - Boosters?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ghost Prime, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

ok i recently moved out into the country area of yorkshire only to find my Broadband dont mean shit over here......i can hardly get ANY signal at all and what i can get is almost less than 56K!

My broadband box is only giving me like 1GB and that hardly runs movies at all! if i wana watch a video online i best go make dinner and eat because by the time im finished its still NOT loaded! my portable Broadband connector also is giving me less than 56k because the signal is just so bad here

is there any type of BOOSTER you can get for broadband modems or something sothat the signal should become much higher and faster because i always watch movies/videos online and its kinda pointless for me to have the net if i CANT do that because aside from the website i work on (mentioned in the sig) i pretty much just watch online stuff

any help?

2. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Broadband speed is set by locale and provider as far as I know, so I doubt a booster would help you much if such a thing exists...

3. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    broadband's a single word that can be used in 2 different scenarios. you need to be clear whether you mean CABLE or DSL.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's also down to the distance you are away from the Exchange.

Though it does sound like you are using a wireless device such as the ones offered by Orange, 3 and such, and they will always suffer from poor signal strength since they are much like the mobile telephone networks.

And no booster is going to help you speed up broadband.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    forgive me, but if you are indeed getting 56k or less, even thinking of dl-ing movies is a sign of archvillain-esque dementia.

i have tried using Napster years ago on a 56k. InnaGaddaDavida (mp3) took me almost 4 hours to complete.

the only thing a booster is good for is extending the range of your own in-house wi-fi set up or boosting reception of your cell phone.
    as far as i know, you can't juice up a signal like DSL or Cable like that.

6. Slacker

Slacker Slacker Supreme

make sure your sockets are all filtered proplery - wont affect the speed but will make it easier.

use the master socket where the outside line comes into the building. Any distance you move away from this point degrades the clarity of signal.

Complain to your isp and have the run a speedtest. If its IPstream broadband rather than LLU you can log in as [email protected] and run a BTIP stream test to find your true speed. If you do your isp can run a whoosh test to determin whats wrong with your connection.

Also distance from the exchange is a factor - due to the way it can be wired how far you are phyiscaly as the crow flys makes no diffrence most of the time.

at the end of the day if it all fails you could try web n walk or one of the other 3G\HSDPA dongles but they are shit for reception and bandwith is a major factor.

7. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

i ment dsl yeah. i will try the advice above. thanks for help

8. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DSL speed is relevant to how close you are to the nearest node. As far as I know there is nothing you can do about it besides moving closer.

9. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

so even tho im paying for 8MB broadband if im far off in the country side and im not to close to a node then basically im gona get treated like shit and not even have 1MB!? thats abit insulting to broadband customers isnt it?

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    It's not something the ISP are doing on purpose, dude. The signal strength decreases with distance from the exchange. It's just the way it is.

I'd suggest if you can't get full 8mb, then downgrade your package.

11. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Yeah, DSL, you're pretty much fucked. We lived in a house that was only a few feet from the pole. The speed was so bad, that we ended up canceling and going back to dial up.

12. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're paying for upto 8MB Boardband, like the others have said and was probably stated when you signed up with your provider.

13. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

no i didnt sign 'UPTO' i signed 'FOR' 8MB broadband which is why i was so pissed off with them when i last moved house.
    I phoned them up today and they told me i could get 6MB here......yet i was lucky if i could get 2MB (which is shit for watching online stuff) at my old place..

how come im way out in the country and im told i can get 6MB yet i was 10mins away from the city center at my last place and couldnt even get 3MB!

i should know the results in 10days when my details are active again

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

DSL is never garaunteed, is it?

Just the way it works, I thought.

15. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No it's not.
    Which is why companies use the words 'upto' but some people are just to busy/impatient to notice that.

16. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I love it when people call in complaining about their speed. We run a speed test, and they get like 4.8 Mbps out of a max of 5. "Thats not good enough" Sigh....

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Nope its not. Which is complete bullshit IMO. "Up to" implies to the consumer that you will someday reach your expected speed. If I said that I could score up to 90 points in a single NBA basketball game, I would be called a liar (and I would think of myself as a liar for claiming that). If his speeds are accurate, and he is paying for 8Mb/s, I would simply drop my provider. That is inexcusable.

I would like to know if anyone ever gets their advertised speeds, or if its just something that might come along if the planets are aligned correctly when you happen to be wearing your lucky shirt on your birthday. I think ISPs already got nailed for "unlimited broadband!", I would like them to change their advertising for "up to!" too.

18. BlkPrime_WFCTX_57751

BlkPrime_WFCTX_57751 Well-Known Member

i have dsl i signed up the highest package offered in my area which is upto 1.5 mbps i don't get 1.5 but it is good enough for me. moral of the story is be thankful for what you GOT!!!