British man allegedly fathered up to 600 children through sperm bank donations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metroplex79, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

News article here.

I was bored and decided to check out the news, and was curious to the other articles are attached to them, and landed on this one.

What do you guys think?

I'm sure there's some fun to be had with a topic like this.

2. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    holy shit that a lot of milk and diapers

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reminds me of that one episode from Family Guy.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    This reminds me of the guy I knew at work who claimed to have slept with over 600 women throughout his life. Since he was about 60 years old at the time, we did some math & figured out that if he started bangin' broads when he was 10 (as he claimed), it's totally possible because that'd be 12 women a year, which could roughly have been broken down into one every month of his life.

Considering he's never been married & was rarely in the same place for more than a few years at a time, not to mention his age + the places he's lived, maybe he wasn't just shitting us after all.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    One can only hope his genes were as good as he claimed they were.

6. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

Eh, I don't really consider donating sperm as technically "fathering" children. He didn't really father anyone. He donated genetic material. Science did all of the work...well, except for all the fapping of course.

7. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Yes, I agree. The media twisting and contorting the truth, like always.

This guy wanked off into a cup, he didn't 'father' these children.

I am a bit concerned by the possibility of his genetic offspring meeting one another and getting married - possibly producing their own offspring with numerous problems due to the close genetic links between the couple.

This is why databases and a set limit on how many families can result from each donor are so important.

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I've thought about doing it, but I've always felt awkward fapping in public restrooms & whatnot, even when its expected, so I dunno.

Seriously though, I wouldn't really have much attachment to my sperm because I vastly consider a parent as someone who raises or otherwise supports the kid oppose to someone who's simply a genetic parent, but I dunno. I'd do it if I really needed the money or if it worked toward some kind of plotline in my life, but other than that it just seems awkward.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Medical implications aside, I have no problems with them marrying.

There was once this story where a young couple who had sustained a loving relationship for many years, discovered just prior to tying the knot that they had the same father via sperm donation. They broke up almost immediately afterwards. I thought that letting such a thing get in the way of their love for each other was stupid.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, I read something similar & pretty much had the same thoughts. However, if that's all it took to break em up, maybe they weren't meant to be anyway.

Personally, I'd just see that as an opportunity for many inside jokes & roleplay ideas, but eh.

11. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

I am donating my gametes (ova) as soon as I am done having my own children. It's something I believe very strongly in, especially so after a very close friend of the family needed donor eggs to concieve her one and only child after chemotherapy destroyed her own eggs. For some people their only hope lies in the fertility and generosity of others.

We don't get paid for donating here in Aus, so donated eggs and embryos are really hard to get through a clinic with 7 year waiting lists. The only option left for most people is to recruit their own donor - my friend used her sister to help her concieve her son. She would have loved another child but said sister just wasn't prepared to run the gauntlet of fertility treatment a second time and they used all the eggs from the first round to concieve Micah (he came on their last frozen cycle with the last 2 embryos transferred). It's an emotional and hard journey, so I certainly don't think it's for everyone.

I'd do surrogacy, too....but not with my own eggs.

I also feel no attachement to my eggs. I lose one (or several, depending) every month and I haven't grieved the loss of a single one - I'm sure i'll be fine donating them to someone who needs them.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    +1. :D 

13. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    And that man's name? Sol Fury.

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hhahaah. Guess we know what he does with all of those toys once they've been processed into the resource section eh. :) 

Also to Jazzhunter, if you don't wanna give that shit up for free, there's always... the Junkion Exchange?

15. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

For me, it's purely the risk of birth defects resulting from the union. If they never discover their genetic relationship and all their children are fine, then it wouldn't be a concern. It would be incredibly sad if they DID get married and they DID have children born with deformities due primarily to the fact that they were half-siblings.

I don't have a "oh god...they're siblings and that's so gross" aversion to it. Of course, I would rip out my own toenails before I bonk any of my brothers - the thought makes me feel sick....but I grew up with them and know how gross they are!!! Objectively though, one of my brothers at least is incredibly good looking - I had so many friends in high-school :wink:  and i am sure that if were raised separately and never knew we were siblings then I could possibly find him very attractive....as it stands now.....no, absolutely not! That's definitely a nurture vs nature things though, even I can admit that.

16. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Oh, sperm donor? I thought maybe he was making direct deposits. HEY-OH!! :D 

17. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

^
    Hahahaha

18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    *rimshot*

Oh & to the "keep it in the family" thing, they could just adopt a kid instead. Honestly, that's probably a better option regardless because not only will they be giving an otherwise dumper prom baby a home, but they won't have to go through a pregnancy or the early storm.

19. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

*snicker* yeah, but then I might get really bad feedback if the kid turns out really ugly or stupid!

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    With you on both counts. The couple I mentioned earlier should've stuck together, gotten him a vasectomy and started a family by adopting.

Or by sperm donation. Here we go again... :lol