Bringing toys to work

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by iheartarcee, Apr 29, 2008.

1. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

So I just started a new job and I want to start filtering in some of my collection to work so I can have some familiar company. Should I just start bringing in some of the more normal looking figures like crosswise and jolt or some of the movie figures like stockade or should i just get crazy with it and bust them out in robot mode on my desk? I work in a pretty relaxed setting but still dont want to take the geek at work label.

But who doesnt like tf's right?

2. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    I've got PVC Prime, PVC Megs Legends Cybertron Starscream, ML Soundwave and WST Snarl standing around my monitor. I've noticed the folks around here get a kick out of ML Soundwave and WST Snarl since I can transform them and show what they do.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've got most of my G2 stuff at the office, because I'm not sure where to place 'em at home. XD

People here get a kick out of it, and it makes my office easier to find.

4. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

If you dont want the 'Geek at work' label then just dont take them in. I've found no matter how cool they are if you're a grown man (or woman) who collects toys people will label you a geek, and rightly so. You either go with it and embrace it or hide it and kid yourself you're just lijke everybody else. I personally think being a geek is cool as hell so I have no problem advertising the fact I am one. ;) 

Yours AK

5. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I have every one of the Movie Legends on my desk at work. Its nice to transform them or at least fiddle with them when I am on the phone.

6. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

i took delux brawl in to work and i had a back story to go with how and why i got him that started people talking about tf's and eventually it became about how much people missed their childhood/children rather then me being a geek

7. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    the bible screwed up its not the the meek its the geek that shall inherit the world.

8. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Take whatever you want in. I am humored by how many folks even CARE what other people think of them/call them. I call myself a geek all the time at work. The folks think it's great that I have a hobby that I can enjoy and cherish, as well as get a "use" out of.

How much fun could collecting stamps, etc be...and they get called geeks just the same. At least, at the end of the day, we can go home and take our collection down a piece at a time and SMILE ear to ear :) 

9. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

Life is too short to worry about what others think. Be true to yourself. I find more people appreciate the honesty, even if they think you're strange. :lol 

I have only two TFs on my desk at work, a '76 and '09 TFTM Bumblebee. They're still in vehicle mode as well. Goes better sitting next to my Orange County and West Coast diecast motorcycles. :) 

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They're unlikely to help your promotion prospects. People tend to assume that owning toys makes you a child... you know, in the same way that owning a gun makes you a murderer.

11. BuildKing

BuildKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a matter of common sense. Based on my personal experience, it really depends on what kind of business/work environment you're in. I've worked for 8 years in the industry of video games publishing, and almost everybody had action figures/Transformers/Toys from various lines on their desks. Someone who didn't have action figures in its immediate surroundings was the exception.

However, in other specific professional environments, bringing toys could indeed narrowed the perception others may have of you. Of course, if it's ok with you, and you're the confident type, go with it! One key word though: less is better.

I've seen desks literally submerged with Star Wars battle scenes, involving a dozen action figures and vehicles: that is too much IMHO, at least in any professionnal environment.

Personally, I brought to work cool small toys like Revoltech figures; or 1-2 Deluxe-sized Transformers.:D 

12. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    Funny coincidence, I call my second bedroom with the TF collection, Spawn figures, and model cars my "Geek Room"

13. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Lucky me, i work in animation. Me and another work buddy pretty much setup a 'TF' shrine on our desks filled with our TF Classics figures. Fun.

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I have PVC Ramjet, titanium movie Prime and Blackout, and titanium Grimlock along with alternator Smokescreen in my office. And some Star wars M&Ms.

15. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

At work I have - 3 full sized posters.

G1: 84-85 cars, except Wheeljack and Sunstreaker. Ultra Magnus.
    Megatron / Soundwave / Starscream / Thundercracker / Skywarp / Dirge. There's a rule we can't bring guns to work, so Megs stays in Robot mode ;-)

Masterpiece Prime / Megatron / US Starscream.

Car brothers + Car Brothers repaints.

So , that's a lot! An entire side of my desk is totally covered. People think it's interesting. Who cares what the haters think.

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd probably bring in stuff that can't be transformed. Like Revoltech. I just panic if some coworker picked up a TF, tried to transform it, and broke it.

17. alpharon

alpharon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At work, I have MP Prime, MP Starscream, MP Megatron, G1 Prime, G1 Ultra Magnus, and my whole Classics collection. I'm a software developer. I play with the toys all the time! :) 

18. unicronhq

unicronhq Banned

News Credits:

i would have to kill that co-worker at that point.

19. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I've got a Revoltech Megs & the Movie concept Camaro Bumblee posed on my desk at work - along with a Boba Fett, a 13" Dr Doom & a figure of the Major from GITS. I work at a videogame art department tho, so there's no "geek at work" concerns; everyone's desk is littered with toys, models & whatever, we're all into something, so it's just part of the office!

If there's similar folks at your work it should be cool... but even if not, if you want some of those figures on your desk, IMO, you should take them in. You might find other people there think they're pretty cool too :) 

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i too would be worried...but im a middle school teacher, so i know my kids would break them...i have brought one with me during a teacher inservice where i was alone in my room grading most of the day...its nice to take a break and transform something...if i ever get a cubicle job, i hope to have some TF's i can take to work...