Bricked my psp...want another already 1.5 or lower

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by VIZGIX, Aug 29, 2007.

1. VIZGIX

VIZGIX Smug Bastard TFW2005 Supporter

:(  just bricked my PSP while trying to downgrade it from 2.8 to 1.5......:banghead: 

I dont want to make the same mistake twice, so I am trying to find one that is already 1.5 or lower.....If anyone knows where i can get one PLEAZE lmk.........

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    How did that happen? Did you do something wrong? Most recent downgraders are pretty foolproof. I screwed mine up awhile back, but I knew what I was doing was risky, and I should have waited for a better downgrader.

You can do what I did if it's still under warranty - call Sony and tell them it bricked when you were upgrading with an OFFICIAL firmware, because the battery was dead and you were dumb. They should take it back and send you a new one. Don't feel bad - they have the means to easily fix your brick, so it's not like you're getting a free PSP or anything. They can reuse it.

They may be able to help even if it's out of warranty, but that will cost you.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Sony will charge you almost as much as a new PSP would cost to fix it if it's not under warrantee. I wanted them to get the dust out of my screen, it was under warrantee, but I didnt have the BOX anymore (needed some number off it) so they said my warrantee wasnt valid, and it would cost me 160 dollars for them to fix. I said "fuck you" and hung up, opened it, got the dust out of the system myself. yes, opening it voided my warrantee, but sony said it wasnt valid because I didnt have a BOX. no other game companies require BOX.

if you still have the almighty BOX, and its under warrantee, call them. tell them you bricked it upgrading firmware, and see if they'll fix it. hell, maybe they don't require BOX anymore.

if they do agree to fix it, DON'T send the memory stick with it. I'm guessing it still has the custom firmware on it. if it does, sony will not fix your PSP no matter what.

if not under warrantee, you're still not screwed. if you know someone who has a custom-firmware PSP, get an extra PSP battery, and there's a utility out there that will let them turn that battery into an un-bricking tool, which will also reset it to 1.5. it won't function as a normal battery anymore though. look around online for that utility. even if sony fixes your PSP, make your own un-bricking tool once you get custom firmware on it. it's sure to come in handy.

also, that "my battery was dead" excuse likely won't work any more. firmware updates won't install unless it's charged. since you have to have it plugged in for the update, say that someone tripped a circuit or something, or you dropped it or whatever. if you tell them that the battery died during the upgrade, they will know you're lying.

normally, I'm against anything that enables any kind of piracy (even if its to play NES roms or whatever), but sony pissed me off so much with that BOX bullshit, and how they're running the PSP into the ground, that I don't care anymore. it's their fault that the one of the biggest reasons to own a PSP now is to play games from other systems on it.

4. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Wow, you're the last person I'd expect to hear that from.

That's cool about the unbricking battery trick - I've never heard of that before. I hope I never need to use it, but it's good to know it exists. Somebody could make money unbricking PSPs if they have a lot of stupid friends that brick theirs.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    people are trying to make money off the unbricking thing, but the PSP community is trying to spread word that the software to make the "kit" is 100% free.

sony just really pissed me off during my time as a PSP owner. about a month after I got the dust out of the system, the D-pad sensors screwed up and only registered "down", even when I wasnt touching the system, and even when the system was opened up and nothing was touching the sensors. I called sony quickly just to let them know "fuck you" again (after giving them my existing case number), threw my PSP at a wall (dented wall), and that somehow fixed it.

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Damn...

I had a PSP a couple of times. I got one back when it first came out, and never knew of the emulators for it for V1.5 or earlier. My first PSP had several dead pixels, dust under the display, and a R shoulder button that liked to stick. I sold it.

I tried a second one earlier this year. Same display issues, but otherwise awesome. Sold it, too.

I do wish I had found out about the emulators, as I might have kept my PSP for those features. Now, if Sony OFFICIALLY embraced said technology it could really help the PSP sell.

Personally, I want to see more of the PSP SLIM!!

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They can't, it's illegal (sony would no longer exist if they did). if they ever stopped disabling that stuff with firmware updates, every publisher would abandon the system because custom firmware makes it rediculously easy to play illegally obtained PSP software.

8. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "bricking"?

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screwing up the onboard software such that the thing becomes completely unusable and unsalvageable (at least, at the consumer's end), therefore a "brick".

11. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    OFFICIALLY - LICENSED software. Sony goes out, like Nintendo with the VC on the Wii and says "hey, you've got a great game that people loved. We want it on our PSP. Would you like to enter a business agreement for a license to use your game and the technology with it?" Or something like that.

Sure, they couldn't get the Nintendo emulators, but why not for other consoles if possible?

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    and few would use the service because they can do it for free, with a better selection on their own.

its why the PS1 downloads from the playstation store that can play on the PSP arent popular. people are ripping their own games and playing them on sony's emulator instead.

13. VIZGIX

I tried the Pandora magical battery unbricking thing....., wont work because i dont have a already modified psp to help unbrick the one I was trying to modify.......ironic

The reason mine got bricked was because the guide I was using to downgrade mine was not very clear....

Oh and my warrenty has expired...

I have money so I think i will play it safe and buy a new one already 1.5 or lower... Is it possible yo get any help with that? luckily that was an extra psp, My 'leagal' game playing psp is newer so It cant be downgraded.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Valkysas, SCE has always been like that, since the PS1. You just finally happened to encounter it. Sony wants to make you go out and buy a new one while still claiming to have good customer service. There's no money for them in fixing their faulty hardware. At least the PSP hardware is nicer than their previous consoles before it breaks and they screw you over.

15. VIZGIX

could I send the psp to someone here to unbrick for me?

could someone sell me an already downgrade to 1.50 psp (or one that was never upgraded to begin with), or on with the homebrew thing already on it? or tell me where to get one? are there any other ways to unbrick?

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If you want to pay all shipping and pay for a new battery for me to make the unbricker, I'll do it. I won't charge you to do it, but the deal will be that I get to keep the unbricking battery. I already downloaded the Pandora thing to look at, looks easy enough to pull off.

You have another PSP? What firmware? You could just downgrade that one and use it to fix the one you screwed up. I think nearly every version can be downgraded.

17. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

When you put that practice and the stories of so many PS2s just mysteriously going bad, doesn't it make you wonder how they _really_ fared against Nintendo in previous generations? I mean, we always hear the argument of how more systems sold equals more third party support. I'd be interested to see just how much of their supposed market share "advantage" was actually comprised of broken units in the town dump.

18. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It also doesn't help that you can't even use the service without a PS3. It's asinine.

If I could download good quality compressed PS1 games directly from them to play for a good price, I would. Making my own is tedious, time consuming, and doesn't always work. A lot of my old PS1 disks are scratched and worn because I stupidly kept them in a crappy case for years.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I've occasionally pondered that as well. I don't think anyone keeps reliable statistics on that though.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But couldn't they do the "hands-off" approach? I mean Sega Dreamcast could emulate almost anything without the requirement of custom firmwares. But so long as Sega didn't encourage it or give any indication as to how to create firmware for the Dreamcast, they could play dumb and say "We didn't know".

I guess since the Dreamcast didn't have internal storage, it's different now for the PS3/PSP and the other systems, because the companies could always be accused of not patching the problem.

Anyway, I haven't been dissapointed in my PSP in the least. In fact, I'm about to dig into Monster Hunter 2 before work.