Brick and mortar stores need to catch up with the times and get an inventory checker

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I figure I would rant... it's been a while.

In either case, here we are in 2011 and Toys R Us and most stores don't even have an online store inventory checker. I am really damn tired of hunting for the last year or so, especially with the distribution the shitty stores near me have.

There is nothing better then staying on hold at a store to check inventory when it could be done in 3 seconds on line. It gets old and rather quickly. If I knew x,y, z store had 10 in stock of said item I would drive the 20 or 30 miles to get it. But no, I am constantly hunting or calling stores. OLD.

Funny thing is, it is not even a Transformer that put me over the edge. It's the damn 8" Thundercat figures. After calling like 6 TRUs and being on hold forever, I just lost it.

I know there is online stores, but realistically, I must have spent $200+ on just shipping this year (even with POL) and I cannot even think about the amount I spent on gas hunting. Come on stores, get a freaking online inventory system. Pityful.

Please feel free to bash me if you like.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    They do have inventory checkers, its for employee use. Stores don't have to nor should have to cater to every collector and drop what they are doing to grab a single item out of the back. That's what BBTS is for.

Sure, you find nice employees that aren't busy doing their regular jobs that might want to help, but that's their call, as it should be.

3. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

and, by not having an online inventory you are forced to get up and go there. Once you are there you may spend some money on an impulse purchase, or some other things you may need.

4. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Somehow I knew this would be about TRU. There are plenty of big retailers that have competent websites where you can check stock at your local store, order online for shipment to a local store etc. I just wish TRU would join the future.

My impossible dream is for manufacturers to do a better job with their own online stores. You would think that dealing directly with customers would be preferable as they could get full MSRP for their products as opposed to selling to retailers at a discount. If they could offer substantial quantities and implement anti-scalper policies(order limits etc) I think they would be surprised at the response from collectors. HTS pisses me off to no end with their limited availabilities of in-demand items.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    No, I meant online. So I could go online, see if some store has the figure I want. Not in store. A lot of stores have inventory checkers. I guess I should have put that in the title.

Yeah, I guess, but I rarely if ever do impulse shopping. My wife does tons of it. I do none of it. I know what I want and go for it. I sometimes look for stuff, but I have been in these stores so many damn times I have the store memorized.

But I see your point.

6. GogDog

News Credits:
    Even so, most of the inventory will be in the back. Half the customers will be coming in and requesting stock from the back. I really doubt they want to get into doing that.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    It's funny, cause the TRUs by me, all the employees are extremely helpful. They always say, hey, let me check the back for you.

I do see your point though. I guess I should just stick to BBTS.

8. GogDog

News Credits:
    It's totally awesome when they do that, don't get me wrong. But collectors have to understand that some stores can't always do that. You either have to be patient, or pay the premium to get what you want, when you want it.

9. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

and so you answered your own question in that regard. Statistics show more shoppers are women and women with kids, hence the damn candy bars and stupid 2-5 dollar toys near registers. Insert screaming kid at checkout and hand them candy or toy.

I am with you though, but we are a small statistic

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I want to create a man store in the mall. I am so sick of my wife being like, do you want to come to the mall with me? FOR WHAT? There is no stores for men there. AT ALL!

Most malls near me don't even have toy stores any more. It is just endless amount of stores for Woman and teenagers.

I am thinking a giant sports bar complex in a mall with beer pong and huge screen TVs and such. I think that would make a killing. Damn statistics screwed everything up!

11. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

I'll be an investor, but I think it had been tried in the late 80's and failed miserably. Too many mothers complaining of their safety and that of their children.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Damn it!

Listen, I will go to the mall with my wife. She can be the damn designated driver. Plus when I have a couple of beers in me, I won't be pissed about her damn shopping.

Realistically, if I have to see another Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen or Rainforest Cafe I may have to shoot myself.

I want to call it the Man Show Bar. Men need to be men again damn it.

Thread completely side tracked!

13. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Here in the UK stores doy have an inventory checker. It's a great little bit of info that saves time when i'm deciding to go on a hunt. In the rare occasion that Argos actually stock something I want I can go online, check all my local stores see how many are in stock and reserve the item for pick up at no cost. same with TRU.

can't believe you guys don't have that as standard.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    You brits get everything. Universal Healthcare, Inventory Checkers a Strong Currency. Damn you Brits, damn you!