Brian Goldner's posts on DM.net regarding the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shaun_C, May 16, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Brian Goldner;Chief Operating Officer at Hasbro has posted to assuage(sp) fandom fears regarding the movie

Link He's the 6th poster down.

He doesn't reveal too much,I take his posts as damage control.Considering that the fandom in general's in an uproar regarding all these rumors in regards to the movie

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Why does everyone suddenly think Don Murphy should be in charge of this movie? Is it just because he knows the right things to say?

3. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Did some more reading...

What is this? People going freaking nuts about the movie based on various rumors that any Tom Dick and Harry can spew out? I'm reading this "petition" that they've put together and past the spelling errors and the horrible grammar, it's your basic G1 fanboy cryout.

Yeah. I want Megatron to have an alt mode, but hey, if he doesn't, oh well, I'm still going to see the movie. Why? Not because they're iconic characters I hold close to my heart, not because I cuddle my Optimus Prime toy when I sleep and whisper how much I love his faceplate to him, and not because of the people who are going to be *IN* the movie.

But because I'm a fan of Transformers. Have been since I can remember, and it's kept my interest for over 20 years. Because it entertains me. Because I can sit through the horrible dubbings of the cartoon, buy toys that I do not always end up enjoying, and post on message boards where not everyone agrees.

Because I enjoy most things Transformers related. And if the movie sucks? Oh well! It'll still be fun to get excited about it and see how Hollywood portrays what I enjoyed in my childhood.

But you're not going to see me go on a hunger-strike because the execs decided to axe Soundwave in fear of pissing off the fan community so they add Soundbyte, a comedy relief icon.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET AN ALL-OUT ACTION-PACKED RATED R MOVIE. YOU ARE A GOING TO GET A TRANSFORMERS MOVIE THAT IS MEANT TO ENTERTAIN AT A PG-13 LEVEL RATING IN HOPES OF GETTING PEOPLE TO GO OUT AND BUY TOYS. THIS MOVIE WAS NOT WRITTEN TO GET AN OSCAR, IT WAS NOT DEVELOPED TO GET AN OSCAR, AND NO MATTER WHAT IT WILL NEVER GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE CLASSIC MOVIES OF ALL TIME.

Why can't anyone understand that?

4. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

I can understand....

5. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I just don't get why people are expecting this movie to make them wet themselves. No matter what Don/Michael/Brian/Spielberg do for this movie, it's going to be hated by the fan community.

Because everyone sits there and thinks they can direct the movie better, write a better script, but they fail to realize that in their own minds, it's probably just another load of crap that everyone else is going to hate.

Hollywood + nostalgia = crap

It's a proven formula time and time again. Sometimes you get a hit (X-Men, Spiderman, Batman Begins), and sometimes you get a miss (Catwoman). Then there's tons of movies that end up in the middle (Fantastic Four, Hellboy, Sin City).

Will Transformers EVER be seen as anything other than a child's toy turned cartoon turned movie?

No.

It will always be referred to as an "80's toyline with a popular animated series".

I'm not saying that to be negative. I'm saying it to be honest. If Transformers wins an oscar for ANYTHING, it'll be special effects. But even then, it'll have some tough competition to contend with.

I just don't understand this huge outcry over there. It's just a movie.

6. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

The donmurphy.net board has impersonated people before, with the backing of staff.

No good reason to trust this either.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because the diehard Geewunners (sorry for the usage, but I think that that so called derogatory term fits most of the winners on Murphy's boards... especially the damned people who actually came up with that freakin' pettition) can't get over 20 years ago. They can't see past the fact that even though they're adults whom collect and enjoy the product (and with these guys who knows... they bitch more than they appreciate) that it's, in reality, aimed at kids. Yes, that's right Geewunners, the Transformers franchise is aimed at kids with the occassional bone thrown out to the fans.

Also, I've noticed that, no matter the fandom, when something happens that the fans think is wrong or not something that's truly a part of that franchise... than they think an online pettition will actually do something. If they got out of mommy and daddy's basement to get these signatures, than it might catch someone's eye, but an online pettition is laughable at best. There's no real work involved in getting it going. And most of the time no real way of getting incontact with "insert online handle here" once he's signed your online pettition. What? You don't think that's important for a real pettition? Sure was when I was doing one back in Highschool to get control of the yearbook put back in the students hands.

In short, these guys think that they can rabble on the internet like some angry mob and effect real change. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Real change, if neccessarry (and at this point I don't think it is), can only truly be had through intelligent and understanding portrayals of your POV and even then you have to give to get. Get it? No. Didn't think the Geewunners would.

Either way I'll be seeing this movie. Good, mediocre or total flop... I'll see this movie and happily buy the kickass toys that come out of this line. Like Kickback said, I'm a Transformers fan. I love TFs. So I'm going to see this movie regardless if it's the best movie I've ever seen or the worst film of all time. It can't be any worse than some of what Budiansky wrote for the initial Marvel Comics run... :redface2:  In the end, I don't think Hasbro wants this movie to flop and I'm sure that the producers want to make a franchise out of this if they can, because it will make them ALL money. Money. OMG they want to make money of of our franchise! :lol 

8. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Money > "fans on the Internet"

9. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You don't?

I mean, of COURSE you don't. I... don't either. Nope.

Not at all.

*smooths robot-shaped indentation out of pillow*

:redface2: 

But yeah. I'm a Transfan. I'd pretty much go see this if it was a film of two guys sitting on the floor, pushing TFs around, and making "VRROOM" and "PCHEW PCHEW" noises. I'm not expecting The Godfather II, here.

10. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Don't get me wrong - I respect what the guys at DM.net are fighting for. I respect the passion they have and I respect the passion they have for the film.

I just find it a little silly. There's more passion over there than there is during political elections.

11. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Er... well, I admit I have to admire that kind of passion, but for the most part... it's seems like a waste of personal time to me. I mean, like you've said... this is a big Hollywood blockbuster, not a black and white film festival surprise. But in the end it comes down to this: IS what they are "fighting" (if you want to call it fighting) for good for this movie in the long run or is it just some silly fan fantasy? Also, is what they're fighting for more of something that is more about them than it is about the fandom as a whole? I'm all for championing causes, but... really why does ever stinking fan of any franchise think that they can write/direct/produce a movie better than the guys already doing it? Seriously, if these guys can do it and make it work than why don't they get off the internet and get down to Hollywood and start making a real name for themselves? Misplaced passion is a massive waste of time and energy.

Agreed. But silly is putting it mildly IMPO.

12. Shaun_C

No L_C in this case your use of the term "Geewunner" is apropo.I've gotten that feeling from that board and Transformerslive.com for a while.Hence why I never joined either of those boards

And I corrected your post,I believe you meant Whiners not winners.Unless you meant winners in the sarcastic sense

Most of those online petitions usually are basically fanboy/fangirl cryouts.No matter the fandom those online petitions ALWAYS come across the same way

That's my perception,it's like Don knows what to say to keep them quiet/happy.Almost like trained seals,toss them a fish and they keep clapping

Ironic that most of the TF fans on Don's board take offense at "being managed" but in truth they are being handled.Just handled in a way that appeals to them.

I'm kind of glad Bowspearer doesn't have posting access here anymore.Otherwise he'd be pimping out that danged petition with his forcasts of doom.Amazing how EVERYONE seems to have inside info on the movie

I think that they've got a good set of producers.Escpecially DeSanto who loves the comic book genre.Plus he handled X-Men well so I think his input will be respected

13. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

To arms, to arms; it's not G1, DUDE G1 ROXOR DM SUXXOR FOR DE WIN???!!!!

Our fanbases name is laughable; just like any fanbase I guess, the fact that some people involved with this movie try to put these guys fears to rest is ok in my book. But all in all their fears are groundless; The Transformers featuring Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz, Prowl, Grimlock, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Cassetticons like Ravage, Rumble and Frenzy is totally D E A D... It inspires the creation of other universes featuring that cast; it even inspires stuff like Beast Wars, Universe, Machine Wars, Star Wars Transformers and Animorphs, YES Animorphs the toyline... But all in all you won't get your favorite characters acting the way they did back in 1984/85/86, because that is the past... And if you constantly live for the past you will never, ever, EVER live for the present or the future.

Those fans on Don's board give us fans a bad name; I say we should petition them to eliminate the idiot posters, ban them from the internet for a few weeks and see if they actually poke their heads out of wherever they're hiding and live life for a change.

Then again; we could always just invite them to the bar, get them drunk as all hell and swipe their G1 minty fresh collections while their not looking, if they even have any.

14. Shaun_C

I should have addressed this in my previous post.You mention passion Kickback?Yes passion is a great thing it gives life purpose

However passion without logic,perspective & direction is dangerous.While many people in the fandom have a passion for the hobby.They display it in ways that often add little positive value to the fandom

Like Laser_Optimus said silly's being mild.

You''d think that this movie would be a life changing event.I barely get vexed over politics.I DEFINATELY won't waste that energy over a comic/cartoon based movie

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    eh.

16. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually did mean to write whiners, but upon rereading my post before I posted... well, winners used in a sarcastic sense sounded just as good. So, I left it and posted as is, but either way works. :D 

Have to agree with most of what you're saying here. Don knows how and when to throw his "stooges" a fish so they calm down and do tricks for him.

And DeSanto has already done right by me with all of the X-Men movies so I'm not really worried about his involvement. Or the involvement of Spielberg for that matter. And, while I have misgivings about Bay as I didn't like all of his movies, at the very least a Bay TF flick will be chalk full of action! :thumb 

17. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Holeee crap those guys are scary. What most of you have said about sums it up. I really hope that the people making this movie haven't formed some horrible opinion of people that like Transformers.

Heh, it makes me really wonder if Murphy and Bay think and say the kinds of things we do when they arent talking down to internet Transfans.

"Hi hon, how was work?"

"Haha, you should see all of those nerds getting worked up over the movie. Man, some of those guys need to get a life, its sad really. I hate my job."

18. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

....Then they ring up Brian, laughing hysterically, and say "You've seriously gotta check this out dude!" as they wipe their tears away from their eyes, and log out of their alias accounts.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    "I know it was you, Starscream."

*Megatron gives Starscram the Kiss of Death* :lol 

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ya know, after all is said and done, BLAH BLAH BLAH etc. I plan to to see the Transformers Movie 2007 (the first sneek peek showing if I can get in) and HAVE FUN! LIVE ACTION TRANSFORMERS ON THE BIG SCREEN! A G1 Fanboy's dream! :D 

If this is a decent movie, so much the better. Either way, I'll still buy the DVD and the Movie's Transformers. I've survived worse.

*Smooths out my pillow too from the face shield impressions.*:wink: 

Over and out.