Brett Favre: "I'm gonna play again!" GB: "Uhh..thanks, but no thanks."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DevilzFan, Jul 12, 2008.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The really need to implement some sort of rule to prevent these retards from retiring, unretiring, retiring, unretiring over and over again.

Take note Dominick Hasek and Brett Favre...

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I am sure the Vikings want to pick him up. He's still one hell of a QB, and the Vikings need one, badly!

3. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I thought there was another report that Favre said it wasn't true...

4. DevilzFan

Could be, haven't read any conflicting reports myself though.

5. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I'm so sick of hearing about Favre and the way ESPN covers him. He needs to stop being so selfish and just stay retired. I kind of feel for Aaron Rodgers because he's gotten the shaft since the day he was drafted.

6. blitzwingfan94

blitzwingfan94 Vikings are the bomb!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I second that notion.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Even though Favre's unretiring can be seen as a selfish act, it's still his right to play or not and if Packers aren't going to give him a starting job they should release or trade him so he can play elsewhere.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

He's really effing with his legacy here. How many people in retrospect think it was a good idea for Michael Jordan to play for the Wizards? How many people think it was a good idea for Joe Montana to leave the Niners for the Chiefs? There's certain legendary guys whose sports legacy is tied to a franchise, and no good can come of them un-retiring and going elsewhere for a year or two. It's just a bad idea for all involved, from the team to the league even to the player doing it.

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's not a retard. He had a change of heart. Come on, guy, he retired and missed the game. Do you really know how it is to be in his position? He is one of the guys who really loved the game, it would be a shame to see fans turn on him for that. How can you hold this against him? I don't see what the big deal is. I can understand the Packer's position, because they have committed to Rogers, but noone can blame him for retiring.

10. Tenebrouser

No GM in their right mind would let a Hall of Fame-calibur player coming off a 95+ QB rating season become a free agent the next year with no strings attached. That's insanity.

Now, the Packers made the mistake of committing publicly to Rodgers as their starter, but aren't to blame for the messy situation they're in. They basically implored Favre to come back in March and he said he wasn't interested in playing. What they need to do, IMO, is reverse their statement and accept him back as a competitor for the starting job. A potential Super Bowl birth is at stake. Rodgers as an unknown is no guarantee.

11. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    He's not screwing anything up just like Jordan, Montana, Johnny U, etc. they are all reguardless of how there ended there careers some of the best players every at there repective sport. Farve is and always will be one of the greatest quaterbacks to ever play the game even if he went to so piss poor team and ended up losing every game.

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    :banghead: 

13. DevilzFan

I would agree with you, had this been the first time. He announced his plans to retire the previous year and then decided not to.

14. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I think thats under estimating Rodgers. We saw him do some good in action last year and he isn't going to get any better unless he can start taking the snaps on a regular basis. At this point Farve is an injury liability so it's not like he can go to a team that doesn't have a good backup QB already anyway.

15. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Well, he didn't officially retire like he did this year. I think he is just confused about what he wants versus what he feels like he can do. He is a very competitive individual, and he absolutely loves the game. I think the NFL is a better place with Favre, honestly. The guy is extremely competitive. I wonder if this is a case where he wants to prove he can still play even though his body is getting older?

Montana did that and had decent success at KC.

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'm a bit late to the party, but there's something I need to get off my chest:

Dear Brett Favre,

NO ONE ELSE CARES.

And tell ESPN to stop sucking your cock by reporting on you every five minutes.

Thanks,

XOXO

Jux

17. Tenebrouser

Getting Montana was one of the biggest mistakes the Chiefs made, looking back. Because of his excellent play, he inadvertantly convinced Carl Peterson and their coaches that it wasn't worthwhile developing a drafted QB and that signing free agents is a better route to stay competitive. They went with veterans for years (Grbac, Gannon, Bono, Green, Huard) and haven't won a playoff game since and the roster got old quickly. Now they're having to do a massive rebuilding. It's very difficult to go through as a fan.

Montana was a great short-term solution, as Favre would be, but in the end is not worth the gamble of trading for him, IMO. Now, if I'm GB, I'd retract my retarded stance and let him compete for the job because they already have a bunch of young QBs behind him already.

Aaron Rodgers played a quarter or two against Dallas and everybody's ready to proclaim him as a quality starter. It's ridiculous to suggest that because there's no evidence to support it.

Mike Golic, despite his irritating personality, made probably the best statement about this whole saga: the three most secure starting QBs in the NFL today are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and.............Aaron Rodgers?

18. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I understand Green Bay's position in the sense that Favre told them in March he was retiring. Maybe there's something behind the scenes about being forced out or whatever, but at the end of the day Favre held his little tear filled conference and retired. He then vanished for 3, 4 months. In that time, the Packer's offense was completely redesigned to work with Aaron Rodgers at QB.

If I were the Packers, after three seasons of Favre playing his diva role each summer, I wouldn't want him back either. He jerked them around each off season, and they finally had enough.

19. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    But in all fairness to Favre, the blame starts with the Packers about five years ago when they started asking him about retiring. They pretty much hounded him after bringing the issue up in the first place about it, and IMHO I think he became convinced he was ready for retirement. I don't think he was jerking anyone around, honestly, I think that neither he nor the organization knew exactly what they wanted in that respect.

20. Tenebrouser

by Jux:

If I were the Packers, after three seasons of Favre playing his diva role each summer, I wouldn't want him back either. He jerked them around each off season, and they finally had enough.

I felt that way originally too. It's even in my prior post on Page 1. However, if I were a fan of GB and was only a kick or two away from going to a Super Bowl the previous season, I'd want to come back the next season with the same team, with upgrades here and there, obviously. Favre pretty much guarantees them a playoff spot if can play close to the way he did last season.

I think GB made the biggest mistake in this whole thing by standing firm by Rodgers in the first place.