Bravo to the VA's

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Kraken, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I just wanted to say congratulations to all the VA's who worked on DOTM, the best voice acting of the entire trilogy.

Ron Bottitta and John Di Maggio as Roadbuster and Leadfoot, great lines delivered superbly.

Keith Szarabajka was wonderfully creepy as Laserbeak.

Charlie Adler pulled out all the stops for Screamer, his best definitely saved for last.

Leonard Nimoy was a perfect choice for Sentinel Prime.

Hugo Weaving really camped it up for Megatron.

Jess Harnell and James Remar sounded great together as Ironhide and Sideswipe.

Ferrari can be rightfully happy with Franco Quinns turn as Dino.

George Coe was nicely potty for the part of Wheeljack.

Tom Kenny and Reno Wilson again made a great double act as Wheelie and Brains.

Special mention though has to go to the legendary Sir Peter Cullen, the anguish and despair in his voice when Optimus realised Sentinels treachery was heart wrenching, and the anger directed at the Intelligence Director was superb. Makes it sound like all the work he's done on TF: Prime was phoned in!

2. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pity they coudn't use Mark Ryan again he should of been shockwave

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    This was Cullen's best performance of the three. The way he was yelling at Sentinel during the Washington conflict was so powerful. Reminded me of his performance in the MTMtE 3 parter.

4. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Topspin should have spoken.

5. Kraken

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot Frank Welker Dr. Clawing it up as Soundwave, and, err, whatever that was as Shockwave.

Mark Ryan would have been perfect as Topspin, he could have done a Geordie twang to go with Roadbusters scottish, and Leadfoots Cockney!

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

So very much agreed. You can really hear the pain and sorrow in Prime's voice: "why Sentinel, WHY???". I mean, I knew Cullen was awesome but that's about as real as a CG character on a big screen can ever get for me. Truly amazing performance throughout.

7. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    I mean everyone's complaining that no one acknowledged Ironhide's death....I think the way Prime was acting says otherwise....

8. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

Yeah Cullen really impressed me in this one, wish the writers of TF Prime would start giving Optimus something more to work with emotionally, as Cullen is definitely still capable of doing it. Not that I ever doubted him for a second.

Nimoy was bloody excellent as well.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I agree with the OP, one of the best VA casts in a live-action movie to date.

I've never seen Peter Cullen being SO emotional as Optimus Prime, so amazingly enraged and desperate inside, yet heroic and noble.
    The Washington scene, the Chicago Battle where all emotional scenes, and Cullen nailed it.

Leonard Nimoy comes in a close second, got all the fallen heroism of Sentinel Prime perfectly. He was not a villain, he was a downbeat hero.

Honorable mention to John Di Maggio as Leadfoot, GOD DAMN'IT, I loved that character to death, I NEED more Leadfoot, the guy KICKED SO MUCH ASS ["You got that right!"].

Every single other voice actor fit its character perfectly as well, something to put many TV series [and even past TF shows] to shame.

My only letdown about this was that the absolutely GREAT Mark Ryan didn't voice anyone,dude was absolutely awesome as BB and Jetfire, he should have voiced Topspin or Shockwave.

10. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definately Peter Cullen pleading with Sentinel

11. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

Ryan would have fit perfectly with the Wreckers so am a tad disappointed he wasn't used there.

12. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

Yes. Yes. Yes. This movie puts to death all those "Cullen can't act/ can't do the voice/ doesn't have it anymore" comments on the Prime board. When given the right voice direction and lines, Cullen puts in an awesome performance. He's been fantastic in all three movies and I think he's been great in TF: Prime.

Nimoy was excellent too. The pair made a dynamic duo on screen. I was constantly anxious for them to come back on screen when they weren't there.

While I thought all the VAs were great, I found it hard to understand Brains and the Wreckers.

13. Kraken

News Credits:
    I can understand what you mean about Brains, he does tend to mumble a bit, took me a second viewing before I picked up most of his dialogue.

Was it just the accents for the Wreckers? Cos 'Nazi Wanker!' came through loud and clear :D  (I loved the Wreckers)

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I didn't realise he said "nazi". Hmm, will have to listen out for that on my next viewing. To be fair, for anyone who has trouble with strong British accents, Roadbuster and Leadfoot might've been hard to make out for some people.

Personally, I did not catch even one word of anything Dino said in the entire movie.

15. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    Roadbuster rocked. :D 

"Of coarse! We only made the damn thing, didn't we?!"

16. Kraken

News Credits:
    I was glad they went with the Brit accents for the Wreckers, especially Roadbusters scottish accent, it makes him sound so unhinged! Like Robo-Begby!

If they had gone with the red neck stereotype and given them hillbilly accents, you and I would probably be saying that we didn't understand a word they said!

17. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Actually Roadbuster said "YA NANCY WANKA!" not Nazi. Basically he called whoever he was yelling at a sissy.....and that's awesome.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Too true! Although it would have been nice if they'd have gotten a proper English VA to voice Leadfoot instead of John DiMaggio's 'mockney' which I always find grates a little on me from Amaerican VAs.

19. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

"Get on the ground Per favore and stay there!" [Per favore = Please in italian].

"He's in a bad mood. he's not talking to anyone."

Here, now go re-watch the movie to confirm what I've said. On the theathers. IN 3-D!

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yessir!