Branching out ????

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by 46+2, Mar 24, 2010.

1. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I've been looking at these gundam toys and they are pretty awesome! I never watched the anime series or anything but I find myself allured by these cool toys.

So, my question is, has anyone ever bought a toy just because they look cool as hell, without any knowledge of that toy's origin or history?

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    This belongs in the Toyark.

3. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, that's how I got into collecting Takara's Brave toys. J-Decker is awesome, btw!

I also got a few Revoltechs like the Dougram, Ingram and Mazinkaiser. Cool toys are cool toys whether I know anything about the anime or not.

4. AximusPrime

AximusPrime Well-Known Member

That was the exact same thing with me when I got into Gundam/Gundam Wing. Saw the models in an anime shop and started buying them up. Later got into the shows when Cartoon network was airing Gundam Wing.

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I admit I got into Transformers as a kid because they looked cool, and only watched the show after.

I would like to grab Gundams too (even with no knowledge of their fiction), but a bit too many TFs to grab. Maybe next time :lol .

6. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I went into the Figma line because of the Aegis release.

7. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I originally got into Gundam back in 1999 I had no previous knowledge of the show, the toys, the models, nothing. I saw some Gundam Wing kits at TRU, thought they looked cool and bought a couple. After that I bought every MSIA figure I could find over the next two years, a couple of higher-end Japanese figures, and then suddenly one day I looked at all of them and thought, "These are boring and they all the same". I've only bought one Gundam figure since then. These days the only Gundam I have any affection for is Turn A, which is proof positive that I am not a Gundam fan. :)  The MSIA figures are all still standing neatly in a plastic container where they've been imprisoned since 2002.

That said, there are also dozens of other properties I've bought toys for without having seen or knowing anything about the shows they are from. Brave, Mazinger, Xabungle, Daimos, Lightan, Orguss, Dancouga, Combattler, Voltes...the list goes on. None of these petered out for me like Gundam did.

8. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Back in the day (before anime was as big over here as it is now) I ordered a bunch of Gundam models from HLJ because they looked cool and fun to build. I probably spent way too much there.

9. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I picked up a few Iron Man Movie figures before it came out in theaters.

And I'm with you on Gundams, they look awesome! Of the few Gundams I have, only one of them is from a series I've watched before. Most I picked up because they looked cool or got them as a gift.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think Macross should be everyone's new fancy. :D 

11. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...oh & some Braves too!!

The Brave/Eldoran Thread

Since they are like the distant relatives to TFs in general. :rock 

12. slugslinger2004

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love to get into Macross, but the releases are too expensive (well, the ones I like are anyway.) Same goes for most of the Soul of Chogokin toys too.

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Depending on what you'd want, some VFs can be bought for less than $100. If you're lucky you can find one during a sale where shipping is 50% of entirely free.

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Oh I've done that lots of times. Off the top of my head, some of the best figures I bought before/regardless of knowing anything about the story they come from were:

Band of the Hawk Guts and Blackswordsman Guts. Basically I first saw these in a local comic by me and thought they were awesome. They're basically 6"+ highly articulated (back by late 90s anime figure standards), heavily armored figures with MASSIVE swords. They look absolutely badass because of how they're able to pose with their giant swords, as way back when I couldn't find too many figures who could hold a weapon in both hands. It wasn't until a while later did I actually get into the Anime (which was awesome) and then the comic book (which is even more awesome then the toys and anime combined!).

The Moribito from Jinki Extend. A super articulated, heavily accessorized robot figure from Kaiyodo iirc that I saw at the same comic shop I got the Guts's from. I mainly got it because the toy could strike some badass poses and came with a *ton* of weapons. It's a great figure, though far from perfect. However the show was fairly boring and I couldn't get into it at all.

I also got a bunch of figures based off of small known comics back during the late 90s early 00s just because they looked cool. Things like Warlands figures or some big thing from The 10th, comics I never even heard of, but the toys looked pretty sweet. And there was this independent toyline featuring female, pop-ish versions of classic Universal monsters called Resurrection of the Monstress I got into a bit. There was only 6 figures made, and they all had very limited articulation (shoulder and neck only) but they came with a lot of stuff and looked really nice. I got the Werewolf, Vampire and Witch ones, though I probably wouldn't have minded grabbing some of the rest. Those three are currently packed away still from moving a few months back, but if I ever get them out and set up I'll be sure to take some pics. :lol 

I'm sure there's a lot of other things I got into regardless of any related stories connected to the figures, but those are some of the more interesting ones off the top of my head.

15. slugslinger2004

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HLJ right? Whenever they have a sale I'm tempted, but never pull the trigger. There are several I'm looking at, but can't decide which I'd like to be my first.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This sums up a pretty good chunk of my Japanese robot purchases. Anything Brave not from GaoGaigar. Anything from Macross. Most of my Soul of Chogokin figures (Dancouga, Gunbuster, Daigenguar and Aussenseiter. The only one from something I've seen is EVA-01). There's a good number of MG UC Gundams kits that I own, but I only watch the AUs. I own Robot Damashii Unit 02, and I've got 01 on order, but I've not seen the new Evangelion movies yet. Figma Drossel, Aegis, and Meiya Mitsurugi (and the upcoming Black Rock Shooter) I'm completely unfamiliar with, and Canaan I bought just prior to seeing the anime; I just like their designs, Figma's high quality execution usually sealing the deal. I've got Bandai's candy toy Engine-Oh G12 and Samurai Ha-Oh, as well as Magiranger Magiking, Wolkaiser, and Saintkaiser, even though I don't care a lick about Power Rangers or their Japanese originators. I've managed a small collection of fixed-pose anime girl figurines, almost entirely due to their intriguing (and sexy) designs, with no regard to the series they're from (including a number of Queen's Blade releases, a series that is conceptually just a bit too risque for my tastes, but with some neat designs as long as I leave their clothes on...). That last bit's a habit that I've mostly kicked though, with the recent movement towards poseable figures of characters I care far more about.

17. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Back in '03 with Transformers.

18. Razerwire

News Credits:
    HLJ has good Christmas sales.

But normally I get my stuff from HKCollectibles, Angolz, AmiAmi, and Overdrive.

19. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me branching in & out every once in awhile. for now TFs (& even my fav Brave franchise) is on hiatus, active in stufs from Macross, SOCs & maybe some Revoltechs at the moment.

In a few mths time when the newer TF lines will start to appear, we'll see how the situation goes..