brainwashing and propaganda

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by littlebotbrat, Oct 31, 2007.

1. littlebotbrat

littlebotbrat Well-Known Member

I assume that decepticons and predacon use brainwashing and propaganda to promote their cause. Has there been evident in any episodes or series? I assume they start doing those things to their young at early age if they did have any. They tell them bad things about autobots and I suppose autobots teach their young the same way.This could explain Rattrap hatred for predacons and decepticons.He couldn't have learned it all by experiences.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    both sides most likely used propoganda.

decepticons/predacons have plenty of reasons to hate the autobots/maximals, with many of them valid. read the IDW "Megatrom Origin" series for info. also note that when BW Megatron fired on Optimus Prime's head, he said that the decepticons/predacons were made "slaves". I have no idea what he meant by that, but I'd love to find out.

I don't think brainwashing is a possibility with the decepticons. in the Megatron Origin series, he says the line "cybertronian by birth, decepticon by choice".

3. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Hard to take what BW Megs says as gospel truth, though.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    What G1 episode was it that the Decepticons put fake videos onto the news about the Autobots actually being the ones doing evil and framing the Decepticons? I think that counts as propaganda.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There had to be something behind it though. he was alone with a stasis-locked optimus prime. he'd have no reason to lie or make things up. I'm not saying they were literally made slaves, but there hast o be a reason he said that.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    They put growth hormones in their little energon nuggets

7. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I'd have to say that Meg's using shell programs to control/change other bots qualifies as brainwashing.

8. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Which is what I was going to add.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wish Raksha was around so that she could FREAK OUT.
    I've never seen any specific instances, but after millions of years of animosity, it's probably safe to assume there's some cultural indoctrination.
    Absolutely, although I think he was more talking about use of propaganda about the enemy presented to your own forces, which to me at at least, is really more about indoctrination.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I vaguely recall an unsubstantiated rumour from way back, that Rattrap was actually very old; perhaps he'd had some experience with Decepticons that we don't know about.
    Throughout history the losers in wars have been villified as monsters. I would imagine that after millions of years of war anti-Decepticon sentiment would be running extremely high, and their name would be cursed for a very long time to come. This would definitely explain a lot of BW Megatron's views.
    As for brainwashing; in BW, every protoform that crashed was originally a Maximal. Whenever a stasis pod was discovered it turned into a race against time; the Maximals to wake the protoform as who it was (Tigatron, for example), and the Predacons to reprogram it as a Predacon (Inferno, for example). Also, remember Blackarachnia's "Predacon shell program". I'd class being reprogrammed to show alleigance to a certain faction "brainwashing".

11. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

In Marvel comic the Decepticons employed Robot master in order to manipulate the publics perceptions of the Autobots. I think he was called Donny Finkelburg.

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Another instance of Brainwashing comes from the G1 cartoon. It was revealed in "The Secret of Omega Supreme" that Megatron used a machine called the Robo-smasher (who names these things!) to reprogram unwilling cybertronians into full-fledged Decepticons. Among his victims were the group that eventually became known as the Constructicons who were at that time neutral and friends with Omega Supreme. After they were converted, Omega Supreme destroyed it himself, but not before Megatron had used it to significantly bolster his forces.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I believe that it was a two-part episode from the second season. I can't remember the exact title, but yes... that should count as propaganda.

14. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

That's right! I have the very comics in which Donny Finkleburg/Robot Master was featured.

15. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

"Megatron's Master Plan". Honestly the plan was real dumb. Fortunately, humans in the G1 cartoon were generally dumb too and completely bought it. No one bothered to watch the incriminating tape till the end, and Megatron didn't even bother to erase the parts where the Decepticons blew their cover. I guess stupidity cancels out stupidity :lol 

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Man, you ask some interesting questions I'll give you that.

17. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

Didn't Bombshell of the insecticons have cerebro-shell mind control thing-a-ma-jig.

in the G1 toon didn't Megsy use something to control humans including sparkplug?

I guess it depends on your definitions of the word brainwashing.
    When I look up brainwashing I get no reference in the dictionary to cerebro-shells.

18. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

The answer depends on the media and/or era, honestly. Back in the day when the Decepts were more or less pseudo-Communists, they used a lot of propaganda and brainwashing. These days, they're more extremists rising up against injustice.

19. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

You make a great point and I would love to subscribe to your newsletter...
    Seriously, good point on the media/era thing.

20. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

of course there was Ratbats infamous "Carwash of doom" Bwahhhahaha...

and I have a vague recollection of some evil brainwashing nightlights in on of the marvel uk black and whites.